ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com


Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EUSS for non-EU partner

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

vinny
Moderator
Posts: 32719
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:58 pm

Re: EUSS for non-EU partner

Post by vinny » Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:01 am

In what way did you "become" an EU citizen in 2021?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Joseph_Gill
Newly Registered
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:42 am
France

Re: EUSS for non-EU partner

Post by Joseph_Gill » Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:10 am

vinny wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:01 am
In what way did you "become" an EU citizen in 2021?
Thanks vinny.

By Naturalisation.

Also, I have just realized that in my pattern's application form there was the following question (with drop-down answers- see below the selected answer):

Question: How are you applying?
Answer: Based on your relationship to someone eligible for the EU Settlement Scheme or a person of Northern Ireland.

Base on the above question and the answers available, it seems like the key criteria is to have a sponsor eligible for the EUSS - I was granted a pre-settled status!

Please, let me know your thoughts.

Cheers
Joseph

vinny
Moderator
Posts: 32719
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:58 pm

Re: EUSS for non-EU partner

Post by vinny » Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:30 am

I agree you may have problems, if you were not a relevant EEA citizen prior to the specified date.

Even if they don’t revoke your pre-settled status now, I agree they may refuse your settled status applications in the future.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Joseph_Gill
Newly Registered
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:42 am
France

Re: EUSS for non-EU partner

Post by Joseph_Gill » Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:52 pm

vinny wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:30 am
I agree you may have problems, if you were not a relevant EEA citizen prior to the specified date.

Even if they don’t revoke your pre-settled status now, I agree they may refuse your settled status applications in the future.
Does it mean that if the casework makes a mistake the applicant would endure the consequences? I can believe everything except this! I believe that there is justice.

All the information/details I shared with the HO are correct and I used to hold a Global Talent visa - I will settle either way.

Please vinny, let me know your thoughts.

Regards
Joseph

kamoe
Moderator
Posts: 2945
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:57 am

Re: EUSS for non-EU partner

Post by kamoe » Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:24 pm

A few things:
Joseph_Gill wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:23 pm
I have just contacted the EU resolution center and they said that I am eligible for a pre-settled status that's why I was granted with it - but as I become an EU citizen in 2021, I cannot sponsor!
The EU resolution centre is not a legal immigration advice service. They do not employ qualified immigration solicitors to answer their phones. Their line is open to answer general questions regarding the scheme, not to provide advice to complex cases, nor to comment with legal authority on a specific decision made.

It is not the first time I hear that faced with a question demanding actual knowledge of the terms of the withdrawal agreement, the EU resolution centre provides incorrect information (anyone with the minimal basic understanding of the terms of the withdrawal agreement will tell you straight away what I already told you three times). Only someone who does not understand the nature of the withdrawal agreement would tell you that you qualify for the scheme but cannot sponsor a family member. That would breach the basic rights the withdrawal agreement seeks to protect.
I also tried to talk to several legal immigration advisers but they did not manage to assist me on that!
What exactly do you mean by this? It's their job. What reason did they tell you for their refusal to take your case?

Please note that you need to pay for good service. This probably cannot be solved with a free consultation; some solicitors might offer this, but some don't, and in any case you cannot expect people to give you their time for free, specially when you have an atypical case.
CR001, manci, would you like to advise whether my partner would be able to extend her PBS Dependent visa while me being under the EUSS?
Curious to see if others have a different opinion on this, but to me it does not make sense for your partner to be able to extend their leave as PBS Dependent if you do not yourself have a PBS visa.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

kamoe
Moderator
Posts: 2945
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:57 am

Re: EUSS for non-EU partner

Post by kamoe » Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:04 pm

Joseph_Gill wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:10 am
Base on the above question and the answers available, it seems like the key criteria is to have a sponsor eligible for the EUSS
Correct. That is the key criteria.
- I was granted a pre-settled status!
You were granted pre-settled status... IN ERROR.

You are not eligible for the EUSS, therefore, you cannot sponsor. That is why I said that the refusal of your partner's application was a solid confirmation that your status was granted in error. There is no contradiction there.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

Joseph_Gill
Newly Registered
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:42 am
France

Re: EUSS for non-EU partner

Post by Joseph_Gill » Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:11 pm

kamoe wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:04 pm
Joseph_Gill wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:10 am
Base on the above question and the answers available, it seems like the key criteria is to have a sponsor eligible for the EUSS
Correct. That is the key criteria.
- I was granted a pre-settled status!
You were granted pre-settled status... IN ERROR.

You are not eligible for the EUSS, therefore, you cannot sponsor. That is why I said that the refusal of your partner's application was a solid confirmation that your status was granted in error. There is no contradiction there.
Thanks kamoe.

That error was made by a caseworker not by me or any member of my family. In that case, would it be reasonable - justice wise - that myself, my partner and our upcoming child endure the consequences of that error? Can you comment on that please.

Cheers
Joseph

kamoe
Moderator
Posts: 2945
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:57 am

Re: EUSS for non-EU partner

Post by kamoe » Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:26 pm

Joseph_Gill wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:11 pm
That error was made by a caseworker not by me or any member of my family. In that case, would it be reasonable - justice wise - that myself, my partner and our upcoming child endure the consequences of that error? Can you comment on that please.
You are going on a tangent, and you are wasting time.

At this point it makes little difference what individual members of this forum think of how and why you got to your current situation. Remember, under forum aliases we are not acting in any professional capacity, so comments won't help you here. What matters is what concrete actions you take, with the support of a qualified immigration solicitor.

You have been made aware of an error in your case. You have already been given a substantial amount of comment. Good luck.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

User avatar
CR001
Moderator
Posts: 86553
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:55 pm
Location: London
Mood:
South Africa

Re: EUSS for non-EU partner

Post by CR001 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:16 pm

kamoe wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:24 pm
Curious to see if others have a different opinion on this, but to me it does not make sense for your partner to be able to extend their leave as PBS Dependent if you do not yourself have a PBS visa.
@kamoe already answered in a topic OP started on Friday, now locked

indefinite-leave-to-remain/pbs-dependen ... l#p2082714
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

vinny
Moderator
Posts: 32719
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:58 pm

Re: EUSS for non-EU partner

Post by vinny » Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:07 am

Joseph_Gill wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:11 pm
That error was made by a caseworker not by me or any member of my family. In that case, would it be reasonable - justice wise - that myself, my partner and our upcoming child endure the consequences of that error? Can you comment on that please.
Unfortunately, it’s self-evident from successful Appeals and ARs that the UKVI do make mistakes. The complexity of the rules hugely contribute to mistakes. Most mistakes are against the immigrants but some are for them.

If they had mistakenly granted you Indefinite leave instead, then I think they may have more difficulties in revoking it, although some try.

A recent judgment apparently found it reasonable for a blameless child to suffer from their mistake.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

kamoe
Moderator
Posts: 2945
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:57 am

Re: EUSS for non-EU partner

Post by kamoe » Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:51 am

The point I was trying to make is that it will be more useful to your particular case if you hired a qualified immigration solicitor, who would advise on next steps and can provide professional comment, rather than relying on anonymous comments here.

Whilst we are all here to help, only a registered adviser is allowed to give you immigration advice on the precise next steps you should take. (Anyone else attempting to tell you what to do would be acting illegally). Keep that in mind.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

JB007
- thin ice -
Posts: 1745
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:14 pm

Re: EUSS for non-EU partner

Post by JB007 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:03 am

Joseph_Gill wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:11 pm
kamoe wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:04 pm
Joseph_Gill wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:10 am
Base on the above question and the answers available, it seems like the key criteria is to have a sponsor eligible for the EUSS
Correct. That is the key criteria.
- I was granted a pre-settled status!
You were granted pre-settled status... IN ERROR.

You are not eligible for the EUSS, therefore, you cannot sponsor. That is why I said that the refusal of your partner's application was a solid confirmation that your status was granted in error. There is no contradiction there.
Thanks kamoe.

That error was made by a caseworker not by me or any member of my family. In that case, would it be reasonable - justice wise - that myself, my partner and our upcoming child endure the consequences of that error? Can you comment on that please.

Cheers
Joseph
It seems from your posts that you are after 3 things? Therefore shouildn't your questions be: what have you achieved by being granted pre-settled status in error?

Will you be granted settlemed status in 5 years time?
Will your partner be able to get settlement?
Will your baby be British?

If the answers are that you being granted pre-settled status in error will not give that, then perhaps you should look at ways to achieve what you want. As kamoe has repeatedly said, you need advise from an immigration solicitor.

What nobody has mentioned; but I assume you know; is that as you are now a French citizen, you can use Free Movement to live in an EEA country or Switzerland. Your familly members can live there with you and all be on route to settlement under the EU regulations.

kamoe
Moderator
Posts: 2945
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:57 am

Re: EUSS for non-EU partner

Post by kamoe » Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:18 am

Also, do not get the below buried in all the substantive comments already made:
kamoe wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:24 pm
I also tried to talk to several legal immigration advisers but they did not manage to assist me on that!
What exactly do you mean by this? It's their job. What reason did they tell you for their refusal to take your case?

Please note that you need to pay for good service. This probably cannot be solved with a free consultation; some solicitors might offer this, but some don't, and in any case you cannot expect people to give you their time for free, specially when you have an atypical case.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

kamoe
Moderator
Posts: 2945
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:57 am

Re: EUSS for non-EU partner

Post by kamoe » Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:51 pm

I just noticed your are planning to go abroad, according to what you say in this recent post.

Has there been any progress, or any further communication with the case worker, since your latest comments above?
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

Locked
cron