ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I pass French citizenship to my child if neither of us as born in France?

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

MissMagdalen
Newly Registered

Can I pass French citizenship to my child if neither of us as born in France?

Post by MissMagdalen » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:35 pm

My father was born in Vietnam. He was adopted by a family in France. His mother was French, his father was British. He has French citizenship.

I was born in Oman. My mother is British by birth and my father is French by adoption.

I have been living in France only for a bit over a year until going to Japan.

I am now pregnant and my child will be born in Japan.
I want him to have French citizenship from birth.

Am I allowed?
Last edited by vinny on Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link added

vinny

Re: Can I pass French citizenship to my child if neither of us as born in France?

Post by vinny » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:50 pm

If you are French, then wouldn't child be French too?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

MissMagdalen
Newly Registered

Re: Can I pass French citizenship to my child if neither of us as born in France?

Post by MissMagdalen » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:15 am

I don’t know, I hadn’t even considered the fact that I might have French citizenship.

Is it really that simple? There’s 3 generations of people not born in France and I can still give my child French citizenship?

Is my “French by descent” enough to give citizenship to my child?

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:01 am

I don't know if the French nationality laws makes a distinction on how a parent is French, as the British do?
French citizenship by birth abroad to at least one French citizen
The child (legitimate or natural) is French if at least one parent is French.

In the case of an adoption, the child has French nationality only under the "full adoption" regime.

Parentage to the parent from whom the French nationality is claimed, must be established while the child is still a minor (under 18).
I guess you should do some further research?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:42 am

My French is extremely rusty, but Vinny seems to be correct in that there does not seem to be any limitation on the number of generations French nationality can be passed on outside France.
Dans quels cas un enfant est-il Français ? (on the French government website) wrote:
La nationalité française d'un enfant, qu'il soit né en France ou non, dépend avant tout de la situation de ses parents au regard de la nationalité.

Un enfant (qu'il soit né en France ou à l'étranger) est Français de naissance, c'est-à-dire par filiation, si au moins l'un de ses parents est Français.

Peu importe que les parents soient mariés ou non, dès lors que le parent Français apparaît sur l'acte de naissance de l'enfant.

La nationalité d'un parent s'apprécie au jour de la naissance de l'enfant et durant sa minorité....
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.