ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Dependent Spouse and Daughter - ILR & BC

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

CAR01
Newly Registered

Dependent Spouse and Daughter - ILR & BC

Post by CAR01 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:01 pm

Hi All

I am in the process of planning and saving for our eventual ILR & BC apps. Timelines are as follows :

Sept 2007 - married British Citizen in South Africa
Oct 2008 - Applied and received UK Ancestry visa (cheaper option at the time)
Dec 2008 - Husband and I arrived in the UK. Left my daughter (not husbands daughter) behind in South Africa
Oct 2009 - Applied and received daughters dependent UK Ancestry visa
End of Oct 2009 - Daughter arrived in UK
April 2010 - Daughter and I apply and granted Spousal Visa in Croydon. Valid till April 2012

I am aware that my daughter and I can apply for ILR in March 2012 and as I will have been in the UK for over three years at that time, I can apply for BC immediately after ILR granted. At this point, my daughter will only have been in the UK for 2 years and 5 months. She will be 16 years old at the time of ILR application.

Question is, when can I apply / register my daughter as a BC. Can this be done at the same time as my application for naturalisation or does she need to be resident for 3 years and be free of immigration control like I would need to be. As I do not wish to retain my South African citizenship, this could present a problem as if I lose it, she will then automatically lose hers and become stateless as she will be under 18 years of age.

Does it make sense to wait for my BC to be processed and then apply for her registration as this will probably come through / be granted very close to the time that she has been resident for the normal requirement of 3 years and she will have ILR anyway.

Looking forward to your comments and suggestions.

Many thanks

CAR

vinny

Re: Dependent Spouse and Daughter - ILR & BC

Post by vinny » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:24 am

CAR01 wrote:I am aware that my daughter and I can apply for ILR in March 2012 and as I will have been in the UK for over three years at that time, I can apply for BC immediately after ILR granted. At this point, my daughter will only have been in the UK for 2 years and 5 months. She will be 16 years old at the time of ILR application.

Question is, when can I apply / register my daughter as a BC. Can this be done at the same time as my application for naturalisation
Yes.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.