ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

indefinite leave to enter.

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

aly1
Newly Registered

indefinite leave to enter.

Post by aly1 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:04 pm

hello everyone
im moroccan, married to a british citizen for 6 years, and we have a 5 year old boy who is also british, we've been living in the rep of ireland since 2006. i have an EU FAm permit. for the last few years i've been visiting the uk with a visit visa, and it's about to expire, and i've been told that im entitled to an indefinite leave to enter the uk. i just dont know the procedure, i've looked it up online but couldn't find anything. please help!!
many thanks.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:59 pm

It;s ILR by another name, but it costs £820....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

aly1
Newly Registered

Post by aly1 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:15 pm

thank you for the reply wanderer. and do you know how and where to apply for it. and is there any website where i could find any informations?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:23 pm

But u can only apply for it if u r intending to live in the UK, it's not for use as a glorified tourist visa....

aly1
Newly Registered

Post by aly1 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:44 pm

we are actually moving to uk, in june 2010 for good!

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:48 pm

aly1 wrote:we are actually moving to uk, in june 2010 for good!
In that case apply at British embassy for EEA Family Permit - it;s all free and no need to take Life in the UK test as u would have to with ILR/ILE.

That would give u PR in the EU as a whole and citizenship if u want it - though that's not free, about £680 or so. Not sure of the timelines for that, others will tho!

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:44 am

You have 2 options here.
Either you can apply for Indeifnate Leave to Enter at British embassy in Ireland. It will be based on being married to and living with a British Citizen outside UK. If you come to UK with this, then you can apply for British Ciztizenship after 3 year.

Other is EEA route. Apply as spouse of an EEA national exercising treaty rights. British citizens are not normally regarded as excercising treaty rights when they have always lived in UK. But as your hubby is in Ireland, this wont apply to him and you.
If you choose EEA route, you will have to wait 6 years before you are granted British Citizenship.

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:02 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:24 am

thanks for pointing this out. she can book KOL test in northern ireland, drive there with her husband and do the test.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:44 pm

mrlookforward wrote:thanks for pointing this out. she can book KOL test in northern ireland, drive there with her husband and do the test.
Won't she need a UK visit visa to enter NI? We know there's no border control but still a bit risky?

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:38 pm

No, she wont need a visa as long as she is accompanied by her husband and has a valid id and marriage certificate in possesion.

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:36 am

mrlookforward wrote:You have 2 options here.
Either you can apply for Indeifnate Leave to Enter at British embassy in Ireland. It will be based on being married to and living with a British Citizen outside UK. If you come to UK with this, then you can apply for British Ciztizenship after 3 year.

Other is EEA route. Apply as spouse of an EEA national exercising treaty rights. British citizens are not normally regarded as excercising treaty rights when they have always lived in UK. But as your hubby is in Ireland, this wont apply to him and you.
If you choose EEA route, you will have to wait 6 years before you are granted British Citizenship.
Plus all kind of applications under EEA route are totally free of charge.

aly1
Newly Registered

Post by aly1 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:32 am

thank you all for your advice. i think i will go with the ILE. then it's only 3 years wait for citizenship.

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:01 am

That would be the best and quickest option. First step would be to pass life in the uk test.

http://www.lifeintheuktest.gov.uk/

Good Luck.

dania

Post by dania » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:34 pm

hi as far as i am aware after getting leave to enter uk u can apply ctizenship in uk after one year and i rang british embassy in dublin and they told me that dont issue leave to enter uk here and you have to apply in uk to home office
"The world suffers a lot.Not because of the violence of bad people,but because of the silence of good people!" [Napolean]

dania

Post by dania » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:55 pm

i am also married to british citizen nd living in ireland since five years and want to settle in uk but there is a big confusion about ile dont know where to apply i rang uk embassy in dublin and they told me they dont issue it here so where shoulg i go and what should i do ????? is there anybody who can help
"The world suffers a lot.Not because of the violence of bad people,but because of the silence of good people!" [Napolean]

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:04 pm

dania wrote:hi as far as i am aware after getting leave to enter uk u can apply ctizenship in uk after one year and i rang british embassy in dublin and they told me that dont issue leave to enter uk here and you have to apply in uk to home office
Please dont make comments about the things you have no idea about. No one is talking citizenship here, its a totally different subject. So please refrain from making comments about the things you have no idea of, and dont confuse people.

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:11 pm

dania wrote:i am also married to british citizen nd living in ireland since five years and want to settle in uk but there is a big confusion about ile dont know where to apply i rang uk embassy in dublin and they told me they dont issue it here so where shoulg i go and what should i do ????? is there anybody who can help
They are wrong to inform you that they do not grant ILE. Ring them again. Here is the link of ukvisas outlining grant of ILE. Please read SET3.3
http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/ecg/settle ... s#19924495