ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Good Friday Agreement and Irish Citizenship with Indefinite leave to remain

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

strappolee
Newly Registered
Canada

Good Friday Agreement and Irish Citizenship with Indefinite leave to remain

Post by strappolee » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:29 am

Here is the language of the Good Friday agreement

"Irrespective of Northern Ireland's constitutional status within the United Kingdom, or part of a united Ireland, the right of "the people of Northern Ireland" to "identify themselves and be accepted as Irish or British, or both" (as well as their right to hold British or Irish citizenship or both) was recognised. By the words "people of Northern Ireland" the Agreement meant "all persons born in Northern Ireland and having, at the time of their birth, at least one parent who is a British citizen, an Irish citizen or is otherwise entitled to reside in Northern Ireland without any restriction on their period of residence."

It seems to me if you are an ordinary resident of Northern Ireland you might be able to claim Irish Citizenship?
Someone who is a citizen or permanent resident of Ireland and a resident there who moves to Northen Ireland might want and claim UK citizenship?
Thoughts?

Obie
Ireland

Re: Good Friday Agreement and Irish Citizenship with Indefinite leave to remain

Post by Obie » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:39 pm

Only those non Irish or British national parents residing in Northern Ireland with indefinite Leave to Remain or Permanent Residence will be able to pass on Irish or British citizenship to their offspring.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

strappolee
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by strappolee » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:10 pm

I am a citizen of Canada
My mum was born there and my grandparents were born in the UK
If I turned a UK ancestry work permit into indefinite leave to remain or I am a citizen of the UK who was not born in NI but where to live there can I claim Irish citizenship?

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:00 pm

You cannot claim Irish citizenship if you or your ancestors were not born in the island of Ireland.

The UK does not own Ireland nor are its citizens born in Great Britain, any entitlement to Irish citizenship.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors