ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com


Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

What is the longest Ireland will Issue a (Tourist) Visa for?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, Zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Locked
dsab85
Member
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:44 am

What is the longest Ireland will Issue a (Tourist) Visa for?

Post by dsab85 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:26 am

Good Morning,

does anybody know what the longest time is the Irish will Issue a (tourist-Visa) for?

So far we only have ever received 3 months. We are living in Northern Ireland (relocated after the EU1 Fiasco), and still have loads of friends in Ireland who we visit regularly.

As a resident of NI I feel that the Irish "should" Issue my wife with a longer Visa. Somehow they also ask for very specific Infos. They always want to see Invitations or other stuff. I always have to respond and explain that we will only go for a day to do shopping or meet friends, and usually don't stay overnight.

Wouldn't it save them time and hassle to Issue us with a 1 (or multiple) year visa?

My wife applied for a US Visa a few weeks ago, and got 10 years.
She applied for a Schengen Visa last week and got 3 years.

So why does the country that we live a stonethrow away from make it this difficult?

It's very annoying tbh.

dsab

86ti
Diamond Member
Posts: 2760
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:07 am

Re: What is the longest Ireland will Issue a (Tourist) Visa

Post by 86ti » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:46 am

dsab85 wrote:As a resident of NI I feel that the Irish "should" Issue my wife with a longer Visa.
If you travel together with your wife you shouldn't need a visa at all if she has a valid UK residence card as you imply in your other thread in the Europe immigration forum (and Germany shouldn't ask you for one either provided you travel together or your wife joins you later, see http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... ht=#190820).

dsab85
Member
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:44 am

Post by dsab85 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:06 am

Ireland doesn't recognize my wife's UK-issued resident permit to legally enter the country. If you want to go by the book you will need a Visa. It's the same the other way around, as the UK doesn't allow entry just by waving your EU4FAM at them. They want a Visa as well.

I know that we might be able to enter Germany without the Visa. But it is just much more hassle. It took us 4 days and no money to get a Schengen Visa. The last thing I wanna do when going on vacation is to argue with Immigration of the Airline Staff about my wifes eligibility to enter a country. There have been several examples here on the board where people have been refused boarding or refused entry to the country.

As long as we are not 100% certain that all the EU countries have completely implemented all the rules we will continue to make sure we have the appropriate visas.

Just bugs me that Ireland only seems to give 3 months.

86ti
Diamond Member
Posts: 2760
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:07 am

Post by 86ti » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:23 am

dsab85 wrote:As long as we are not 100% certain that all the EU countries have completely implemented all the rules we will continue to make sure we have the appropriate visas.
I understand your point of course. But without raising your voice that just won't happen.

Ben
Diamond Member
Posts: 2685
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:33 pm
Location: Elsewhere
Contact:

Post by Ben » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:06 am

dsab85 wrote:Ireland doesn't recognize my wife's UK-issued resident permit to legally enter the country.
They are required to, in accordance with Directive 2004/38/EC. Out of interested, by which method of transport have you and your wife entered ROI from NI, and encountered difficulties because your wife is not in possession of an Irish visa (but in possession of her UK Residence Card)?
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

archigabe
Moderator
Posts: 1238
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:59 am
Location: Dublin

Post by archigabe » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:41 pm

dsab85 wrote: I know that we might be able to enter Germany without the Visa. But it is just much more hassle. It took us 4 days and no money to get a Schengen Visa. The last thing I wanna do when going on vacation is to argue with Immigration of the Airline Staff about my wifes eligibility to enter a country. There have been several examples here on the board where people have been refused boarding or refused entry to the country.
The German embassy were quite nice when we complained of some hassle we got at Frankfurt from the Border guards when I tried to enter on a stamp4EU fam card during a transit layover. They sent me a letter on the embassy's letterhead confirming that we could enter Germany without a visa as long as I travelled together with my wife.

MAKUSA
BANNED
Posts: 291
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:03 am

Re: What is the longest Ireland will Issue a (Tourist) Visa

Post by MAKUSA » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:49 pm

dsab85 wrote:Good Morning,

does anybody know what the longest time is the Irish will Issue a (tourist-Visa) for?

So far we only have ever received 3 months. We are living in Northern Ireland (relocated after the EU1 Fiasco), and still have loads of friends in Ireland who we visit regularly.

As a resident of NI I feel that the Irish "should" Issue my wife with a longer Visa. Somehow they also ask for very specific Infos. They always want to see Invitations or other stuff. I always have to respond and explain that we will only go for a day to do shopping or meet friends, and usually don't stay overnight.

Wouldn't it save them time and hassle to Issue us with a 1 (or multiple) year visa?

My wife applied for a US Visa a few weeks ago, and got 10 years.
She applied for a Schengen Visa last week and got 3 years.

So why does the country that we live a stonethrow away from make it this difficult?

It's very annoying tbh.

dsab
Dsab, what embassy did you get the three year Schengen visa from?

dsab85
Member
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:44 am

Post by dsab85 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:19 am

We applied with the German Embassy in London.

Very quick service, and all was done via mail. Took less then a week from sending off our application to receiving our passports back.

shahzadbk
Newly Registered
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:36 pm

Documents you submitted for visa

Post by shahzadbk » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:09 am

Pls can you give us list of documents your wife submitted for visa.If you give us all details of documents your wife submitted, that will be great help.I travel few times France and Germanr without my wife.So i have to apply for visa every time.But if i can get 3 years visa aswell it will be great help.

dsab85
Member
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:44 am

Post by dsab85 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:49 am

WE didn't provide any documents.

All we sent was the filled Application Form, a passport picture, our marriage certificate, a prepaid return envelope and our passports.

No further documents are required for spouses of EU citizens.

trinity
Newly Registered
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:37 pm
Location: dublin

Re: What is the longest Ireland will Issue a (Tourist) Visa

Post by trinity » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:04 pm

dsab85 wrote:Good Morning,

does anybody know what the longest time is the Irish will Issue a (tourist-Visa) for?

So far we only have ever received 3 months. We are living in Northern Ireland (relocated after the EU1 Fiasco), and still have loads of friends in Ireland who we visit regularly.

As a resident of NI I feel that the Irish "should" Issue my wife with a longer Visa. Somehow they also ask for very specific Infos. They always want to see Invitations or other stuff. I always have to respond and explain that we will only go for a day to do shopping or meet friends, and usually don't stay overnight.

Wouldn't it save them time and hassle to Issue us with a 1 (or multiple) year visa?

My wife applied for a US Visa a few weeks ago, and got 10 years.
She applied for a Schengen Visa last week and got 3 years.

So why does the country that we live a stonethrow away from make it this difficult?

It's very annoying tbh.

dsab
Hi Dsab85,
Not sure if it will help but got to tell you that my friend french resident married to french national got a multiple entry visa granted for 1year. Actually her husband was working in Ireland and I dont know if it made the difference. Anyway that prove it is possible for them to issue a 1year visa.

Could you please let me know if German consulate issued you with a 3year schengen visa from the first time you applied or was it after several visa? Also why 3years?

Thanks

Locked
cron