ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Help to Buy Scheme (Equity Loan)

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Engeey
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Help to Buy Scheme (Equity Loan)

Post by Engeey » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:52 am

Hi,

I am currently on Tier2 visa, applied for a Help to Buy (Equity loan) scheme and got approval. I would like to find out if anyone on Tier2 has used this scheme to get a property and whether it did not affect the ILR subsequent application.
Most of my friends applied for the scheme when they had already gotten their Indefinite Leave.

Many thanks for your speedy response :)

Engeey

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Help to Buy Scheme (Equity Loan)

Post by CR001 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:41 pm

Help to buy is not public funds.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Engeey
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by Engeey » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:05 pm

Thanks CR001 for your response.
However, I wanted to know if anyone has financed his/her property through this scheme and had no issues with renewing their Tier2 Work visa.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:25 pm

You are unlikely to be approved for an Equity Loan without settled status (ILR) as the loan fees on the 20% loan won't be recovered until after the first five years of owning your home. There would be a risk of the loan fees on the 20% not being paid if you are no longer resident in the UK.

This is probably why your friends with ILR have been successful and is not related to Public funds.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Hola2015

Post by Hola2015 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:17 pm

Casa wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:25 pm
You are unlikely to be approved for an Equity Loan without settled status (ILR) as the loan fees on the 20% loan won't be recovered until after the first five years of owning your home. There would be a risk of the loan fees on the 20% not being paid if you are no longer resident in the UK.

This is probably why your friends with ILR have been successful and is not related to Public funds.
Two of my friends did use the help to buy scheme to purchase their first properties while still on Tier 1 and Tier2 general visa. The friend that used the help to buy scheme did so in 2013/2014 while he was on his last extension prior to applying for ILR. The second friend is currently awaiting completion having exchaged contract using the same help to buy scheme even though he is currently on his second Tier 2 extension after which he will apply for ILR. So, I think it is possible to use the help to buy scheme even before you get ILR. But the decision such as this should not be taking lightly without seeking finanacial advise from approved mortgage/financial adviser

Engeey
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by Engeey » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:34 pm

Dear Hola,

Many thanks for your response, I appreciate!