ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling on Ind passport with British citizenship certific

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

IndiMarshall
Member of Standing

Travelling on Ind passport with British citizenship certific

Post by IndiMarshall » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:38 am

Hi All,

I have completed my citizenship ceremony on 4th November (Yesterday) and I am not planning to apply passport immediately as I would like to travel to India on 5th of Dec and back to
UK on Jan 10th 2015.

Can someone pls tell me if I will have any issues coming back into the country (UK) even after I carry Citizenship certificate .. needless to say I will carry Indian passport and ILR .

Is it true that after the citizenship ceremony the systems at Hethrow will be updated so that mY ILR is no longer valid?

Also

Is it true that I may be denied entry to UK on Jan 10th if I dont have certificate of Entitlement ? please give me some solution as this travel is mandatory for me to do ....

Thanks in advance...

go2khurram
Member of Standing

Re: Travelling on Ind passport with British citizenship cert

Post by go2khurram » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:58 am

IndiMarshall wrote:Hi All,

I have completed my citizenship ceremony on 4th November (Yesterday) and I am not planning to apply passport immediately as I would like to travel to India on 5th of Dec and back to
UK on Jan 10th 2015.

Can someone pls tell me if I will have any issues coming back into the country (UK) even after I carry Citizenship certificate .. needless to say I will carry Indian passport and ILR .

Is it true that after the citizenship ceremony the systems at Hethrow will be updated so that mY ILR is no longer valid?

Also

Is it true that I may be denied entry to UK on Jan 10th if I dont have certificate of Entitlement ? please give me some solution as this travel is mandatory for me to do ....

Thanks in advance...

I believe you have to surrender your indian passport as soon as you become national of other country. So legally you cannot travel on your indian passport.

See Below discussions

http://www.immigrationboards.com/other- ... 35378.html
http://www.immigrationboards.com/other- ... 15111.html
http://www.psychclub.com/topic/13568-tr ... king-oath/
*please do not take this as professional advice**

milan69
Diamond Member

Post by milan69 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:05 pm

I have traveled several times after my naturalisation ceremony and before I got my British passport on my old passport and ILR.
I am sometimes wrong.

t123456789

Post by t123456789 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:33 pm

There is a 90 day grace period for you to use your Indian passport from your naturalisation date. I'd suggest travelling on your Indian passport and when you return from India, apply immediately for your British passport and then surrender your Indian passport (before roughly the 04/11/2017).

Correction, you have 3 years to surrender your passport, but 3 months to travel on it after naturalisation. See this post.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:28 pm

3 year to surrender if the passport was only retained and not used for travel.
In this case, passport needs to be surrendered within the grace 90 day period i.e. within 4th Nov 14 + 90 days otherwise it may attract penalty.

IndiMarshall
Member of Standing

Post by IndiMarshall » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:06 pm

ban.s wrote:3 year to surrender if the passport was only retained and not used for travel.
In this case, passport needs to be surrendered within the grace 90 day period i.e. within 4th Nov 14 + 90 days otherwise it may attract penalty.
Hi Ban.s .. Thanks I was looking for your response actually,

One of my friend says the computer systems at the Heathrow will be updated to make the ILR redundant so that on my return journey I may be not enetred in to the port (UK) even if I hold a Citizenship certificate.. He thinks a certificate of Entitlement is needed to do that.. meaning Its not suggested to travel right now..

HOw far do you agree with this ? I have to travel at any cost.. just considering pro and cons..

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:13 pm

IndiMarshall wrote: One of my friend says the computer systems at the Heathrow will be updated to make the ILR redundant so that on my return journey I may be not enetred in to the port (UK) even if I hold a Citizenship certificate.. He thinks a certificate of Entitlement is needed to do that.. meaning Its not suggested to travel right now..

HOw far do you agree with this ? I have to travel at any cost.. just considering pro and cons..
I haven't seen anyone ever posted such experience. on the contrary people were always able to enter with ILR and original passport wothout any issue. 'milan69' has already posted their experience in this thread and someone I know did just couple of weeks ago. A british citizenship has right of abode and will be allowed to enter upon arrival at a british port.

IndiMarshall
Member of Standing

Post by IndiMarshall » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:16 pm

t123456789 wrote:There is a 90 day grace period for you to use your Indian passport from your naturalisation date. I'd suggest travelling on your Indian passport and when you return from India, apply immediately for your British passport and then surrender your Indian passport (before roughly the 04/11/2017).

Correction, you have 3 years to surrender your passport, but 3 months to travel on it after naturalisation. See this post.

Thanks.. Actually I am not bothered about Indian embassy as they are clearly happy upto 3 months.. I am more bothered about what happens at Heathrow i.e, when I start from UK and when I return to UK ?

Will my ILR become invalid in their systems so that they dont allow me out of UK or into UK even thuogh I carry citizenship certificate..

IndiMarshall
Member of Standing

Post by IndiMarshall » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:20 pm

ban.s wrote:
IndiMarshall wrote: One of my friend says the computer systems at the Heathrow will be updated to make the ILR redundant so that on my return journey I may be not enetred in to the port (UK) even if I hold a Citizenship certificate.. He thinks a certificate of Entitlement is needed to do that.. meaning Its not suggested to travel right now..

I haven't seen anyone ever posted such experience. on the contrary people were always able to enter with ILR and original passport wothout any issue. 'milan69' has already posted their experience in this thread and someone I know did just couple of weeks ago. A british citizenship has right of abode and will be allowed to enter upon arrival at a british port.
Yes I never heard of it too.. thanks.. am hoping my passport and ILR will be enough with no extra trouble..

If you see the first poster.. he says its not legal .. these are kind of things that are bothering me :-(

IndiMarshall
Member of Standing

Post by IndiMarshall » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:24 pm

milan69 wrote:I have traveled several times after my naturalisation ceremony and before I got my British passport on my old passport and ILR.
Did they ask you any questions on your return about your citizenship or have you told that you hold a biritsh citizenship ? can you mention which month and year you travllled in and out of country for the above mentioned situation..

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:37 pm

My daughter has traveled 3 times in the last year (after BC approval) on her foreign passport and ILR and not once had a problem at either Gatwick or Heathrow. She joined the non-EU queue and completed the landing card - no issues at all.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

milan69
Diamond Member

Post by milan69 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:39 pm

I actually made the effort and asked immigration border official about it. I mentioned that I have just become British citizen and that I will be applying for British passport soon and that I have my naturalisation certificate with me. The reply was that I can always enter UK with my ILR and original passport regardless if I am British citizen or not. The official did not ask to see the certificate.
I am sometimes wrong.

IndiMarshall
Member of Standing

Post by IndiMarshall » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:01 pm

Thanks CR001 and Milan69.

IndiMarshall
Member of Standing

Post by IndiMarshall » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:20 pm

Thanks to all who responded..
Any more views or different experiences ?

t123456789

Post by t123456789 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:44 pm

What more do you want? You are British, therefore you have a legal right of abode in the UK. Even if you somehow turned up at the border with no passport and no ID, they'd still have to let you in if you give them your name and DOB and you look like your passport photo in their system.