ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 2 to EEA family member residence card

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Yvonna
Newly Registered

Tier 2 to EEA family member residence card

Post by Yvonna » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:41 pm

I'm just after some reassurance, really.
I have been on a Tier 2 sponsored visa since August, 2012, and I have just been granted a residence card as a family member of an EU national (durable relationship – we have been together for 5 years and are getting married in January). The card clearly says “EU Right to Reside” and “Work Permitted”, but I haven’t got the accompanying letter from the Home Office yet.
Basically, I’m just after some reassurance that if I hand in my resignation now, that I can definitely stay in the UK. I was expecting to get a letter saying that my Tier 2 visa had been terminated and I had been granted this residence card, which would have been very clear and unambiguous. However, as far as I know, my Tier 2 visa still exists. So presumably, my employer will notify the UKVI that I’m no longer working for them and terminate my CoS. Will the UKVI then automatically send me a curtailment, or will it come up on their system that I have the right to reside as a family member of an EU national? Will they send me anything at all?
I would really like to change career, back to what I was doing before I got my current job. However, the ability to do this as a Tier 2 migrant is very limited. I just want to make sure that I can really and truly leave my current job now without getting kicked out of the UK!

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Tier 2 to EEA family member residence card

Post by CR001 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:47 pm

I just want to make sure that I can really and truly leave my current job now without getting kicked out of the UK
If you have a valid residence card based on your EU partner, you are free to move employment. HO will know you have a residence card if your Tier 2 is cancelled (if not already) once your employer notifies them. You don't need a letter from HO re. residence card, the card is proof enough. Any letter you receive about your Tier 2 G visa curtailment/cancellation is purely admin process.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Yvonna
Newly Registered

Post by Yvonna » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:21 pm

That's brilliant, thank you!

asif2133
Poland

Post by asif2133 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:35 pm

hi yvonna,
i am in a similar situation as you. i want to keep both my Tier 2 visa and at the same time get an EEA family member residence card. however, when i look at the EEA(FM) appliation form, it asks for the current BRP card to be mandatory included with the application.

did you send in your BRP? did you get it back?

Yvonna
Newly Registered

Post by Yvonna » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:00 am

Hi there,

Yes, I sent it in along with my passport and they returned it when the application had been completed. They just use it as a supporting document - they don't require you to surrender it.

It did feel a bit uncomfortable to be without any of my documents for 5 months, but there were no problems.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:51 am

asif2133 wrote:hi yvonna,
i am in a similar situation as you. i want to keep both my Tier 2 visa and at the same time get an EEA family member residence card. however, when i look at the EEA(FM) appliation form, it asks for the current BRP card to be mandatory included with the application.

did you send in your BRP? did you get it back?
Yes and yes.
You can also request your passport and BRP back while the application is decided. Look at my timeline, I got them back in September, while still waiting from my RC.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.