ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Asylum seekers & driving licences...

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

gollywood
Member of Standing

Asylum seekers & driving licences...

Post by gollywood » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:24 pm

Hi

I contacted the DVLA about an Asylum seeker I know who has been in the system for nearly 3 years. He's asked if it's possible for him to drive in the UK.

The DVLA have said yes he can, for 12 month from the 'date of residency' providing he has an International driving licence. But she did not know what the definition of 'date of residency' was.

Does anyone know what the DVLA mean? - bearing in mind the asylum seeker is still in the system, and his appeal is still pending (has been for over 12 months), so he has no status other than 'asylum seeker'. No passport/travel documents/ID card etc - all with the Home Office apart from his ARC Card.

Much obliged as ever

Amber
Mood:

Re: Asylum seekers & driving licences...

Post by Amber » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:04 pm

DVLA wrote:Ordinary licences
While your full licence or driving permit is valid, you can drive vehicles weighing up to 3.5 tonnes, and with up to eight passenger seats, for up to 12 months from the date you came to Great Britain.
To continue to drive after this you must pass a GB driving test before the 12 month period ends. If you get a GB provisional licence during this period, you will not have to display ‘L’ plates or be supervised by a qualified driver, and you will be able to drive on motorways.
If you do not pass a test within the 12 month period, you will not be allowed to drive as a full licence holder and the conditions of a GB provisional licence will apply.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

gollywood
Member of Standing

Post by gollywood » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:45 am

So the 12 months begins from the day he arrived here.

The fact that he's been here 3 years, means that he will now have to go down the provisional licence/theory & practical test route.

Thanks Amber.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:31 pm

Yes, he may be committing an offence.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

seanfocus
Newly Registered

Post by seanfocus » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:17 am

Hi a friend of mine is an asylum seeker, she has been in the UK for one year. Is it possible for her to apply for a provisional using her ARC card?

aiza78601

Post by aiza78601 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:06 pm

no according to govt new rule asylum seekers waiting for decision or appeal cant apply for provisional license ,also dvla dont accept arc.i contected them they asked me too many douc with arc which i dont have

Walker67

Post by Walker67 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:39 am

I have a big confusion here.did the govt banned asylum seekers from applying for a peovisional licence.or did they banned from getting full licence.i had provisional when i was legaly student in uk and gave driving test but failed.now i did my theory again and my asylum case is still pending on sent pictures to olcu who say they will review the case.
Can i apply for full driving licence.home office says dont send arc card to dvsa.i have got my provisional while i had passport.i want to do practical test now.

Please advise.

aiza78601

Post by aiza78601 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:21 pm

its will depend on ur luck,my husband had provisional when he had passport before applying for asylum .he passed theory and full test 10 months before,no prob at all,he did not sent any ARC CARD ,only applied through provisional.
but I now some one on this forum who had provisional,she passed theory and when she tried to apply for practical test ,she received letter from home office that they are going to write DVLA to revoked her licence .so its depend

katiee509
Newly Registered

Post by katiee509 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:28 pm

Hi I'm confused, my partner has been in UK for 8 years now as asylum seeker and still has no status he has ARC card an national insurance number and work permit. I spoke to DVLA and they say he can apply for provisional driving licence but not full, what does this mean? can he never have a full licence? thx

JAYBUTTAR
Newly Registered

Post by JAYBUTTAR » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:37 pm

HELLO GUYS I CAME AS STUDENT AND HAD MY PROVISIONAL LICENCE BUT DIDNT APPLY FOR FULL licence now i checked my licence status they said details are wrong means its cancelled my case is in HOME OFFICE and decision is pending on relationship bases soon going to marry BRITISH CITIZEN . can i talk to DVLA and get my provisional back because i want to do full licence

regards

Casa

Post by Casa » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:02 am

Well you can talk to them, but no one here can tell what their response will be.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:34 pm

JAYBUTTAR wrote:HELLO GUYS I CAME AS STUDENT AND HAD MY PROVISIONAL LICENCE BUT DIDNT APPLY FOR FULL licence now i checked my licence status they said details are wrong means its cancelled my case is in HOME OFFICE and decision is pending on relationship bases soon going to marry BRITISH CITIZEN . can i talk to DVLA and get my provisional back because i want to do full licence

regards
+1 on what Casa said. Also, if you have no passport and no visa, you will find it difficult to marry as you have to give 28 days notice at an approved Registry to marry and they have to inform HO who can extend the notice period to 70 days to investigate and interview both of you separately before you are allowed or not allowed to marry.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.