ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Was I absent 5 years before HO received my application?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

dreemo
Newly Registered

Was I absent 5 years before HO received my application?

Post by dreemo » Thu May 05, 2016 7:43 pm

I applied for naturalization through NCS in March. The NCS person submitted my docs as usual, but I've just realized that I was out of the UK for part of the day five years before the day it was received by the Home Office. I left the UK in the morning that day in 2011 and arrived back to the UK in the evening. My passport clearly shows an exit and entry stamp for that day on the first page. I did not write that trip in section 2.2 of the application because my understanding was that a same day return it didn't count as an absence. Additionally I believe that the guidance is that partial day absences are not counted (ex. 50(10)(b) of BNA 1981). My application status is that they've taken my money and I've done the biometrics with no additional news yet.

My questions are:

-Is the Home Office likely to reject my application because they think I was out of the UK five years before the day it was received?
-Are the arguments above correct?
-What can I do to minimize the chance that they will reject it?

Cheers

geriatrix

Re: Was I absent 5 years before HO received my application?

Post by geriatrix » Thu May 05, 2016 7:45 pm

dreemo wrote: I left the UK in the morning that day in 2011 and arrived back to the UK in the evening.
So you were not absent.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

dreemo
Newly Registered

Post by dreemo » Thu May 05, 2016 7:53 pm

Great - so I believe you are saying that technically my application should not be rejected on those grounds?

I'm a bit concerned that whoever processes it at the Home Office will just see the exit stamp for that day and reject my application.

Is that a reasonable fear? If so, what can I do about it?

Thanks again

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Thu May 05, 2016 8:02 pm

Read 2.2.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu May 05, 2016 8:56 pm

Also to add to geriatrix's advice, the date of application in your case is the date you submitted your application at NCS.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

dreemo
Newly Registered

Post by dreemo » Thu May 05, 2016 9:23 pm

Hi CR001,

The NCS person said the date of application isn't the date I submitted my application at NCS - it's the date that HO receives the package from NCS. He actually delayed sending it to HO for a week because I was really out of the UK on the day five years before the date I went to NCS. He sent me the package delivery to confirm the new date.

Do you think I need to contact HO to make sure they don't mistakenly assume I was out of the UK for a full day?

Would be terrible to get rejected and have to appeal to clarify.

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu May 05, 2016 9:26 pm

You were advised incorrectly by NCS. Please see page 18, second paragraph from top, of the AN guide dated December 2015 which clearly states date of application as NCS appointment date.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... hanges.pdf
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

dreemo
Newly Registered

Post by dreemo » Fri May 06, 2016 1:08 pm

Thanks CR001! Was able to figure out the correct data based on your advice and appears I'm fine (fingers crossed). Cheers

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri May 06, 2016 1:16 pm

dreemo wrote:Thanks CR001! Was able to figure out the correct data based on your advice and appears I'm fine (fingers crossed). Cheers
Were you in UK 5 years prior to day of NCS appointment ? that is crux of matter.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.