ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

General Discussion During Naturalisation Application Process

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: General Discussion During Naturalisation Application Pro

Post by CR001 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:53 pm

dapto10 wrote:Hi all,

This is in continuation to my previous post about the new rule about applications made by EEA nationals requiring DCPR.

I do have DCPR issued last year but didn't know the date deemed my date of acquisition of Permanent Resident status. Some weeks ago I sent a Subject Access Request (SAR) to the Home Office asking them for this date and they came back with screen shot of my file taken off their system which states, I quote, 'The date we can confirm the applicant acquired an entitlement to permanent residence is...'

How do you read this? Would that mean this is the date on which I have acquired PR according to their system or means something else?

The reason for asking is because this date is significantly earlier than the date I believe I've acquired PR status.

I'm eligible to apply for naturalisation anyway, it's just the outcome of this SAR which I find rather odd. Has someone received a response to a SAR recently and what does it say in terms of wording?

Many thanks.
You acquire PR automatically after 5 years of exercising treaty rights. The date you 'acquire PR' and the date your DCPR is issued will always be different, the DCPR cannot be 'backdated'.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

dapto10

Post by dapto10 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:17 pm

Thanks CR001. You're absolutely right. My question is not about the date on the DCPR.

Problem is the date they've given to me in the SAR is... 4 years before I have actually and factually acquired PR status, if you know what I mean. It's before the end of the 5-year period.

For example, if, say, I've come and settled in the UK in September 2005, I would've acquired PR status automatically in September 2010. A record on their computer should state a date from September 2005 onwards.

In my case, however, the date is well BEFORE the end of my 5-year qualifiying period, say January 2006, just months after I arrived. This is the strange part, obviously an error on their system and that's why I'm asking the question.

I qualify anyway and will be applying shortly but can't really understand how this wrong date ended up on my file.

Thanks again!

i12b3
Newly Registered

Post by i12b3 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:39 pm

Hello All

I have a question , I have a naturalization application under process, have received acknowledgment of receipt of application only as of yet.

I'm thinking of doing some UBER just to supplement my income as I am saving for a holiday , part of their application process is to get a Private hire license via TFL and they do a check and everything via an agency called GBG which I assume is similar to a CRB check , I am fine with them doing these checks but wondered

1. If this is something that is OK to do while my naturalization application is under process ?

2.Is this something similar to credit history check whereby each time searches are made there is a foot print of how many times this person has been CRB checked etc.

3. I am just trying to make sure this does not making any negative impact on my naturalization application?

bonhomie13
Newly Registered

Post by bonhomie13 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:22 am

CR001 wrote:
bonhomie13 wrote:Destruction of BRP.

Hello all,

After application for naturalisation gets accepted, is the five day period for sending the BRP back to UKVI counted from the day of receiving the letter or from the day of the citizenship ceremony?

Regards,
Thanks for the response!

pogotosh
Newly Registered

Post by pogotosh » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:31 pm

Hi Everyone,

I had two questions on British Passport. Wasn't sure where to post. Hence posting it under this thread. My apologies if these queries have been discussed before. I tried searching for them on the portal but could not find satisfactory responses.

1. For a JCAP application, what is the typical time taken for someone to get a British Passport after the approval of citizenship application? Not looking for a hard and fast timing . Just a ball park idea. And will the passport application only be processed after the person attends their citizenship ceremony?

2. Is the passport interview always a requirement before issuing a passport, or is it only done on a discretionary basis for some individuals.

Thanks for your assistance.

Noetic
Member of Standing

Post by Noetic » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:03 pm

Afaik you don't do an interview when using JCAP but for all other first passports you have to do an interview.

brazUKa
Newly Registered
Brazil

Post by brazUKa » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:09 pm

From what I see people posting here...
1- passport is received in 1-2 weeks after the citizenship ceremony - not the approval - until the ceremony, you are not Brit yet
2 - there's no interview for passport with the JCAP applications.
pogotosh wrote:Hi Everyone,

I had two questions on British Passport. Wasn't sure where to post. Hence posting it under this thread. My apologies if these queries have been discussed before. I tried searching for them on the portal but could not find satisfactory responses.

1. For a JCAP application, what is the typical time taken for someone to get a British Passport after the approval of citizenship application? Not looking for a hard and fast timing . Just a ball park idea. And will the passport application only be processed after the person attends their citizenship ceremony?

2. Is the passport interview always a requirement before issuing a passport, or is it only done on a discretionary basis for some individuals.

Thanks for your assistance.

malik15

Post by malik15 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:50 pm

Hi all,

I'm waiting for the decision on my naturalisation application for 10 months. Is there anyone else in the similar situation?

More importantly is there anyone who's been in this situation in past and have now received decision?

Senior members / moderators - can you please shed some light on this based on your experience or forum members' experience?

Thanks in advance.

ohara
Diamond Member

Post by ohara » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:38 am

dapto10 wrote:Some weeks ago I sent a Subject Access Request (SAR) to the Home Office asking them for this date and they came back with screen shot of my file taken off their system which states, I quote, 'The date we can confirm the applicant acquired an entitlement to permanent residence is...'

How do you read this? Would that mean this is the date on which I have acquired PR according to their system or means something else?

The reason for asking is because this date is significantly earlier than the date I believe I've acquired PR status.
That is the line that matters. Have a look at this page from my SAR response:

The date of my PR is a bit earlier than I expected it to be too but having looked into it, it does make sense for me.

I got my DCPR in February 2016 (issue date 22nd January 2016) and applied for naturalisation the following month, and it was just approved (see also timeline link in my signature)

Dec17

Post by Dec17 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:03 pm

hi,everyone any April applicants got any approval,its good to see 1 march applicant who applied (29/03/16)after the fee increase got his approval yesterday ,hope HO will strat April applicants soon :roll:

dapto10

Post by dapto10 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:20 pm

ohara wrote:
dapto10 wrote:
That is the line that matters. Have a look at this page from my SAR response:

The date of my PR is a bit earlier than I expected it to be too but having looked into it, it does make sense for me.
Thank you, Ohara.

What you're saying completely makes sense. In my case, however, the date they've set is only 6 months after my arrival in the UK. Not, let's say, 6 months before completing my 5th year or something. It's 6 months after my arrival in the country. I have automatically acquired PR status in the UK at some point in late 2014. Their computer says it's 2009. All other details in the SAR are correct - full name, date of birth, photograph, address, everything. It can't be right...

They should have my EEA (PR) application on file. I've clearly stated arrival date, provided evidence about exercising treaty rights, accommodation, taxes, NI, etc. I also have a Yellow Registration Certificate as a self-employed person which they issued me with a year after my arrival. Basically the SAR is saying that I've acquired PR 6 months before I was issued with a Registration Certificate as a Qualified Person. Very very strange.

I've applied though, waiting now. Hopefully everything will be OK. I meet all criteria anyway and could re-submit all evidence if they want me to.

P.S. Your SAR looks like an official document. Mine is basically a 3-page screenshot from their system, and my Treaty Rights section, for example, can't be seen. On the first screenshot I have Identity and Entitlement, and from Entitlement, they have scrolled down to Despatch Instructions. There's also an instruction to the caseworker for my Yellow Card to be destroyed. Guess if they destroyed it? It arrived back to me :-)

sam2346
Newly Registered

Post by sam2346 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:09 pm

Yes. Looks like it is moving now. Keeping fingers crossed to hear from HO soon. Mine was submitted on 30th March. :| :!:

Dec17 wrote:hi,everyone any April applicants got any approval,its good to see 1 march applicant who applied (29/03/16)after the fee increase got his approval yesterday ,hope HO will strat April applicants soon :roll:

nattrouble
Newly Registered

Post by nattrouble » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:18 pm

Hello all
Firstly please forgive me if this has been posted already somewhere or I have done something not a par standards, this is my first post.

I applied for naturalisation ( 5 years Tier1 + 1 year ILR route) back in mid February 2016 through NCS and am still waiting for any response. I had my biometrics done in March and then changed the address towards the end of March (informed homeoffice). my previous landlord agreed to keep my letters for a month or so, hence I did not setup a redirect as I had changed my address in banks etc. On my contacting him for letter in beginning of May he said that he forgot that he agreed to keep my letters and hence has destroyed them instead of RTS (return to source).

I setup an address redirect right after that and started contacting various departments but was told that as it has not been 6 months since they can not give me any update.

Yesterday I received a letter stating that I had missed a Toll payment (Dart charge) in September 2015 (at the time i did not know if i had to pay for the toll as it was not very evident) and have to pay the penalty. They did write me a letter in October and a 2nd one in April informing me about the missing payment but because by the time they had sent me both the letters (both at different addresses) I had moved from the property and hence I did not know if I not payed for the Toll. I have contacted the relevant authorities about this stating my reason of non-payment.

The reason of my concerns are:
  • - that looking at the forum timeline for Feb 2016 my application should have been decided upon around end of April time.
    - if homeoffice sent any communication between me updating the address and moving out of the property my previous landlord would have got it and destroyed it.
    - if it was an approval i only have 3 months to apply for passport and by the time it would be 6 months since i have applied it would already be more than 3 months
    - if homeoffice wanted any further information i will not be able to provide it in time
    - would this missed Toll payment have any bearing on the progress of my application
    - does me being self employed has anything to do with the delay,I was permanently employed for the whole of my Tier1 period but have been self employed for last year or so did not file tax return because I applied before April and it was not due yet (letter from Accountant confirm the earnings and that we will be filling one when due was attached with application)
[/list]

any help would be really appreciated and sorry for a long post ;)

Thanks

KL

DKSin
Newly Registered

Post by DKSin » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:03 pm

when did you do your biometrics?

When did you move out?

When did you inform Home office of your change of address?

nattrouble
Newly Registered

Post by nattrouble » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:39 am

Hello
I had my biometrics done 05/03/2016 and moved out from property on 23/03/2016 told homeoffice on the same day about the move

Thanks

puneetdwd

Post by puneetdwd » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:30 pm

Hi,
Me and my wife have ILR (thru Tier 1) + 13 months. I am in process of applying for Naturalisation for both of us - However I have a doubt in mind as I am planning to move my house in next 2-3 months. What are implication of changing address ? I understand naturalisation takes 2-5 months. Can I have different address in Naturalisation Certificate and new address on my British passport?
P

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:51 pm

puneetdwd wrote:Hi,
Me and my wife have ILR (thru Tier 1) + 13 months. I am in process of applying for Naturalisation for both of us - However I have a doubt in mind as I am planning to move my house in next 2-3 months. What are implication of changing address ? I understand naturalisation takes 2-5 months. Can I have different address in Naturalisation Certificate and new address on my British passport?
Your address in not printed on your naturalisation certificate or in your British passport.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

DKSin
Newly Registered

Post by DKSin » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:29 pm

nattrouble wrote:Hello
I had my biometrics done 05/03/2016 and moved out from property on 23/03/2016 told homeoffice on the same day about the move

Thanks
IMO it is highly unlikely that they sent your approval within that time period. And its not unusual they take longer than average to decide your application.

Also regarding any other correspondence, I know an instant where they sent out a second letter when there was no response to the first letter. Rather than refusing the application straightaway. Not sure whether this is the standard practice. (I would think it is)

RE: tax returns, I dont think there is an issue. If you have provided correct information at the time of the application. (It seems you did) Don't see why this should contribute to the delay though.

People miss payments all the time for various reasons and does that make you a bad person automatically?

nattrouble
Newly Registered

Post by nattrouble » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:06 pm

Thanks DKSin

This has given me some relief.

I totally agree with you on timeline and hope that a reminder is normal practice rather than straight refusal.

The reason I thought Toll payment mattered is because I was hoping that I would get home office approval around 3rd week of April and this is when I got the 2nd PCN (Toll payment) letter. Could it be that homeoffice have queried DVLA and this highlighted missing payment hence homeoffice postponed the decision (if they had made a decision I would have got the declining letter at the update address).

Does this make any sense or am i being to skeptic?

Ta

DKSin
Newly Registered

Post by DKSin » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:56 pm

This is normal. I would think the same. Thoughts become very pessimistic when you have an application pending.

CKP

Post by CKP » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:06 am

Hi,

what is the time difference between Council receives the Naturalisation certificate and then candidate receives approval letter.

Let me clear this, I have phoned Council recently and they mentioned they got my naturalisation certificate but they can not book ceremony until I receive invitation letter from home office.

does any body know how long do I have to wait to receive the invitation letter ?

Thanks

nattrouble
Newly Registered

Post by nattrouble » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:24 pm

Hello DKSin

any suggestions on what options do i have.

Or shall I sit tight and hope for the best :)

DKSin
Newly Registered

Post by DKSin » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:21 pm

nattrouble wrote:Hello DKSin

any suggestions on what options do i have.

Or shall I sit tight and hope for the best :)
Hi,

I am not sure the best way to contact these people nowadays. Since I havent done this in a long time.

I would personally use all avenues to contact them, not to get a result or an update about your application but to have a record of conversation about the change of address, to be used as evidence in future if required. (Email/post)

I would also write a letter to them mentioning that I have changed my address on xx/xx/xx using xxxx method and that I have not received any confirmation to say that my address has been updated. I will also mention that my old address and my new address again and say I have not received any correspondence from them after informing this change of address. (Recorded delivery for obvious reasons)

They send letters through 2nd class post and non delivery/misplace is not unusual when they are sending thousands of letters.

Anyway this is what I would do (May be its a waste of time). I can't think of anything else apart from waiting patiently for the approval or 6months to go by. :D :D :D

khan010

Re:

Post by khan010 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:40 pm

Hello everyone.
Well I applied my citizenship application on December and its six months passed on 15 June
And I don't heard and received anything yet any one can advice what should I do .one more thing I called home office a customer services officer told me because I applied on 15/12/15 so my time will count from 1st January so I need to wait more 15 days but I sound not logical any advice ????

ohara
Diamond Member

Re: Re:

Post by ohara » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:14 am

khan010 wrote:Hello everyone.
Well I applied my citizenship application on December and its six months passed on 15 June
And I don't heard and received anything yet any one can advice what should I do .one more thing I called home office a customer services officer told me because I applied on 15/12/15 so my time will count from 1st January so I need to wait more 15 days but I sound not logical any advice ????
Your application only starts to be considered once you have enrolled biometrics