ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

I was paid for a volunteer job on tier 2

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

manibest
Newly Registered

I was paid for a volunteer job on tier 2

Post by manibest » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:49 pm

Hi

I work for a county council who is also my sponsor. But last year, I volunteered for a local borough council and helped them in their annual canvasing for which they paid me on my NI.

Will it have any affect when I apply for ILR this year? If it does, what do i need to do in order to get rid of any issues and clean my record before i apply for ILR???

I am seriously worried about it.

Any useful advice will be very obliged.

Kind regards

manibest
Newly Registered

Re: I was paid for a volunteer job on tier 2

Post by manibest » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:52 am

Would any of you please be requested to answer my query as I am quite worried about it???

Kind regards

manibest
Newly Registered

Post by manibest » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:05 am

Hi

I raised the same question with HomeOffice at whatdotheyknow. the full response is in the link below:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... ing-636571

In short, I am still not sure what exactly I need to do in order to sort this out before I apply for my ILR this year.

Please please somebody help me here.

iworker
Diamond Member
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by iworker » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:35 pm

its unclear what you want to know.
It was clear that you will be paid for it, hence it was not a volunteer job. it was illegal what you did.
You are asking if it will have any impact on ilr, no one know.. It depends on the case worker.. how he looks at it and decides.

manibest
Newly Registered

Post by manibest » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:02 pm

Thanks for your response, iworker.

I realised only recently that it was not allowed on Tier 2 visa when I had a look at policy guidance for voluntary work.

If I return the full amount back to the borough council (either by cash or bank transfer) and request their payroll department to provide a confirmation letter that the canvassing service I provided to the borough council was totally voluntary and that the payment was maid in error.

Do you think it will resolve the issue??

Thanks in advance.

iworker
Diamond Member
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by iworker » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:18 am

i am not sure..
the paye tax, i.e., your income tax and NI is now paid on real time .. which means, the taxes are submitted at the end of each month.
I personally dont think the council can ask the pay roll to change the entire payroll just for this. its not that easy.

paradoxical
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by paradoxical » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:47 am

It was also the responsibility of the borough council to check your right of work. Being on a Tier 2,you are allowed to work extra 20 hours provided they meet certain requirements one of which is that it should be at the same professional level (perhaps that can cover you? You are already working in a council).

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:50 am

paradoxical wrote:It was also the responsibility of the borough council to check your right of work. Being on a Tier 2,you are allowed to work extra 20 hours provided they meet certain requirements one of which is that it should be at the same professional level (perhaps that can cover you? You are already working in a council).
Highly unlikely the OP was employed on a Tier 2 in the Council as a 'canvasser'.
manibest wrote:Hi
I work for a county council who is also my sponsor. But last year, I volunteered for a local borough council and helped them in their annual canvasing for which they paid me on my NI.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

manibest
Newly Registered

Post by manibest » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:55 am

Thank you all so much for your responses.

I just spoke with the borough council payroll department they confirmed that they only ever paid me as a casual worker for some elections work that I did and that I have never paid National Insurance on anything they have paid me.

After this conversation I logged on at https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/check-income-tax/paye and can confirm that I paid only income tax (and not National Insurance) on the income from Borough council.

Is it still illegal I worked for borough council?

Thank you

iworker
Diamond Member
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by iworker » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:05 am

All additional jobs are paid without NI and only tax is deductible.
Still illegal.