ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

University won't confirm presence in the UK

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

muraenidae

University won't confirm presence in the UK

Post by muraenidae » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:10 pm

Hi,

We are having trouble with confirming presence in the UK. As my husband is an EEA national, his passport is not stamped. The guidelines say we should provide letters from employers or educational establishments instead.

We contacted the university where he was a PhD student. They say they will only confirm his dates of registration, not that he was usually present in the UK during that time, as they have no records of his comings and goings. (He attended some classes, examinations, meetings with his supervisor and research group, but there is no record of any of this.)

So, we are stuck. Is it likely going to suffice if they say he's been registered during that time? There simply aren't any other records.

vinny

Re: University won't confirm presence in the UK

Post by vinny » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:41 pm

His supervisor may be more helpful.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

muraenidae

Post by muraenidae » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:02 pm

Hm, his supervisor is difficult to get a hold of, and not sure he can attest to his presence anyway. The meetings weren't that regular (sometimes once a week, sometimes a few months gap, etc).

How fussy is the Home Office about this requirement for EEA nationals? Is a letter from the University showing the dates of registration likely enough evidence? Should we try to back it up with utility bills etc, even though the guidelines say this is not sufficient proof?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:25 pm

I think they should just provide confirmation of the date registered (started course) and date officially left the uni (de-registered?). They shouldn't be asked whether he attended, which clearly they don't track. An employer would only state dates employed from-to, he wouldn't comment on whether you turned up regularly for work. Just a thought.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:31 am

See also Absences.

What documents did he use to get confirmation of PR?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

muraenidae

Post by muraenidae » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:58 am

For the PR application, he used utilities bills etc to establish residence.

rely1458

Post by rely1458 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:43 pm

For my application, my university simply provided a letter saying when my programme commenced and when I successfully completed the programme. The letter never stated that I attended university. They accepted the letter and I was naturalised within two months from my application.

barabashka

Post by barabashka » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:25 pm

muraenidae wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:10 pm
(He attended some classes, examinations, meetings with his supervisor and research group, but there is no record of any of this.)
There should be records of monthly supervision meetings. Perhaps the University cannot confirm that, but the School (or Department) should be able to confirm this by accessing these records. You have better luck contacting the "lower" level of specific Department of School rather than trying to get it from central University level.