ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Romanian passport and freedom of movement status

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

spikey1992
Newly Registered

Romanian passport and freedom of movement status

Post by spikey1992 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:38 pm

Hi
If a Russian citizen is granted a Romanian passport, will he have the right to enter the UK under the freedom of movement within the EU or does his passport have to say that he is a Romanian citizen to qualify ?
Im assuming that his new Romanian passport would say Russian citizen not Romanian citizen as he only has the passport not the citizenship. If he tried to enter the UK with this passport showing Russian citizen would he be refused entry on the basis of not being an EU citizen ?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Romanian passport and freedom of movement status

Post by CR001 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:42 pm

How does the person qualify for a Romanian Passport?

It is usually on citizens of a country that can hold a Passport of that country.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

silverslingshot
Newly Registered
Romania

Post by silverslingshot » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:50 pm

I'm Romanian and I never heard of somebody getting a Romanian passport without having the citizenship.
I don't think this is possible.
I've just looked at my Romanian passport and at point 3 (citizenship) it does say "ROMANA" which is the basically the Romanian citizenship. I know I didn't help you much what I've just wrote. Sorry.

dan1988uk
Member of Standing
Italy

Post by dan1988uk » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:48 am

This post can have a meaning only if the OP is talking about Romanian ID and not passport. In Italy foreigners living in the country will get an Italian ID that states that it’s NOT valid to travel abroad do not valid to enjoy freedom of movement.

spikey1992
Newly Registered

Post by spikey1992 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:48 am

I was thinking along the lines that if someone is granted a British passport and their nationality is Turkish, under the nationality section in this passport will say ' Turkish ' as they have the passport but not the nationality and therefore not the EU freedom of movement as they are not an EU citizen. So to re ask my question. Passports are not issued with nationality therefore does the holder have the right to freedom of movement as they are not an EU citezen just a Romanian passport holder

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:12 am

spikey1992 wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:48 am
I was thinking along the lines that if someone is granted a British passport and their nationality is Turkish, under the nationality section in this passport will say ' Turkish ' as they have the passport but not the nationality
A general rule of thumb is that passports are only issued to nationals of that country. Occasionally they may issue other travel documents (such as convention travel documents, laisser-passers, etc) to citizens of another country, but they will not issue passports unless the person holding the passport is also a citizen of that country.

One could be a citizen of multiple countries and therefore have multiple passports. I recall a case on these forums of a person holding four passports as he was a citizen of four countries. But he was a citizen of all four countries and therefore could carry all four passports with him.

A Turkish would not be issued a British passport unless he naturalised as a British citizen and became a British citizen. Therefore, in his passport, his citizenship would be listed as British.

Similarly, a Russian citizen would only be issued a Romanian passport if he naturalised as a Romanian citizen (i.e. he acquires Romanian citizenship) and therefore his passport would state that his nationality is Romanian.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Abeythedon

Post by Abeythedon » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:31 am

secret.simon wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:12 am
spikey1992 wrote:
I was thinking along the lines that if someone is granted a British passport and their nationality is Turkish, under the nationality section in this passport will say ' Turkish ' as they have the passport but not the nationality
A general rule of thumb is that passports are only issued to nationals of that country. Occasionally they may issue other travel documents (such as convention travel documents, laisser-passers, etc) to citizens of another country, but they will not issue passports unless the person holding the passport is also a citizen of that country.

One could be a citizen of multiple countries and therefore have multiple passports. I recall a case on these forums of a person holding four passports as he was a citizen of four countries. But he was a citizen of all four countries and therefore could carry all four passports with him.

A Turkish would not be issued a British passport unless he naturalised as a British citizen and became a British citizen. Therefore, in his passport, his citizenship would be listed as British.

Similarly, a Russian citizen would only be issued a Romanian passport if he naturalised as a Romanian citizen (i.e. he acquires Romanian citizenship) and therefore his passport would state that his nationality is Romanian.
well said

Mugen
Ukraine

Post by Mugen » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:55 pm

I think author confuses EU passport and USSR passport where you had a line stated nationality(russian, ukrainian, jewish etc.).

spikey1992
Newly Registered

Post by spikey1992 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:12 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:12 am
spikey1992 wrote:

Very good answer thankyou