ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 5 and pregnant

Only for UK Tier 5 (Temporary work) points system
Also includes the Youth Mobility Scheme Tier 5

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Jtmurray
Newly Registered
Canada

Tier 5 and pregnant

Post by Jtmurray » Wed May 02, 2018 12:26 pm

Hi everyone,
Just a quick back story here.. been in the uk since sept 2017,(I am Canadian) been with my British partner for almost 5 years this sept, lived together for almost 3) and I am due in dec 2018...
I have a gp but haven’t been able to confirm if I can get coverage for my delivery.. am I correct to say I need to be here for 12 months for pregnancy care ?
My partner and I both work full time, am I entitled to maternity leave ?
What visa would I need to change to for me to be allowed to stay with my partner in the uk?
Does anyone know the rough cost to expedite visas ? I don’t want to travel in and out of the uk.
Any help really appreciated !

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Tier 5 and pregnant

Post by CR001 » Wed May 02, 2018 12:37 pm

am I correct to say I need to be here for 12 months for pregnancy care ?
No. You need to have a valid visa and you get NHS for free. If your question is about Statutory Maternity Pay, there are different rules.
You would need to speak to your employer.
What visa would I need to change to for me to be allowed to stay with my partner in the uk?

If not married, you can apply for an Unmarried Partner visa if you have substantial rock solid evidence that you have lived together 'in a relationship akin to marriage' for 2 years.
Does anyone know the rough cost to expedite visas ? I don’t want to travel in and out of the uk.

Partner of British Citizen visa is £1,033 for postal application or £1,643 for premium in person same day decision application PLUS £500 Immigration health surcharge.

You also need to meet the financial requirement of £18,600pa.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Jtmurray
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by Jtmurray » Wed May 02, 2018 12:55 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 12:37 pm
am I correct to say I need to be here for 12 months for pregnancy care ?
No. You need to have a valid visa and you get NHS for free. If your question is about Statutory Maternity Pay, there are different rules.
You would need to speak to your employer.

If not married, you can apply for an Unmarried Partner visa if you have substantial rock solid evidence that you have lived together 'in a relationship akin to marriage' for 2 years.

Partner of British Citizen visa is £1,033 for postal application or £1,643 for premium in person same day decision application PLUS £500 Immigration health surcharge.

You also need to meet the financial requirement of £18,600pa.
Thank you for such a prompt response ! Greatly appreciate it !

How long does the postal application take? I want to change visas ASAP, don’t want to be fussed once I’m further along.

As for evidence we live together? Can our tax returns from Canada be sufficent? We filed as common law in Canada with the same address, in London I’ve only lived with him since sept 2017 and only have the same mailing address with no bills together..

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed May 02, 2018 12:57 pm

Postal can take up to 8 weeks, sometimes longer.

Tax returns and no docs you have in the UK won't be sufficient unfortunately. HO expect to see a papertrail of various joint commitments or of living together.

Note that this would not be required if you were married.

Page 64 of the FLR(M) form tells you what HO expect to see.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Jtmurray
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by Jtmurray » Wed May 02, 2018 1:20 pm

Thank again, so our time in Canada doesn’t count towards or living time together?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed May 02, 2018 1:25 pm

It would count towards living together but you will need substantial evidence of this and any gap of 6 months of more (i.e. if your partner returned to the UK before you for example), starts the clock again from zero.

Note that this 2 year mandatory cohabitation evidence is ONLY required for an unmarried partner visa. It is NOT required if you are married.
Char (CR001 not Casa)