ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I apply for PR at the same time as my EU partner?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Geneiva

Can I apply for PR at the same time as my EU partner?

Post by Geneiva » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:07 pm

Hello there,

I (New Zealand citizen) currently have an unmarried partner RC via my partner (EU citizen). I was previously on a Tier 5 visa (1yr), then a work sponsored visa (3yrs), although I believe my IDLR 'clock' has reset each time. I've had the RC for almost 2yrs now.

My partner has now been in the UK for 5 years, and is about to apply for Permanent Residence.

My questions are:
- Can I also apply for PR (or IDLR) now as part of my partner's application? Or do I independently have to have been here for a 'continuous' 5 years in order to do this?
- Would it make a difference to any application if we were married?

Thank you in advance

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Can I apply for PR at the same time as my EU partner?

Post by CR001 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:11 pm

You need 5 years on your EEA RC, counted from the date the RC was issued as you are unmarried partner.

No difference if you are married, you still need 5 years on the EEA route. Your previous visas don't count for PR under the EEA route.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Geneiva

Re: Can I apply for PR at the same time as my EU partner?

Post by Geneiva » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:14 pm

CR001 wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:11 pm
You need 5 years on your EEA RC, counted from the date the RC was issued as you are unmarried partner.

No difference if you are married, you still need 5 years on the EEA route. Your previous visas don't count for PR under the EEA route.
Thank you - very helpful!