ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Help- online visa public funds question!!!

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Pigerham
Newly Registered

Help- online visa public funds question!!!

Post by Pigerham » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:06 am

I'm currently submitting my UK visa via online. It ask are you claiming public funds? My British husband who I live with claims child and working tax credits I have to be included in this as a joint claim since we live together. DO I TICK NO FOR CLAIMING PUBLIC FUNDS as receives this money or DO I TICK YES FOR CLAIMING FUNDS. I'm so confused and don't want to tick the wrong box. Many thanks in advance.

Thanks!

vinny

Re: Help- online visa public funds question!!!

Post by vinny » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:18 am

See also Public Funds:
Exceptions because of nationality of family members

Child and working tax credits are claimed jointly by couples. If only one member of a couple is subject to immigration control, then for most tax credits purposes, neither are treated as being subject to immigration control. See related link: Child tax credit and working tax credit – exceptions, Exception 5 for further detail.

It’s a public fund that you are claiming, so tick ‘yes’?
However, you should be okay because of the exception.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Pigerham
Newly Registered

Post by Pigerham » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:38 am

Under the exceptions it states:

A person is considered not to be accessing public funds if it is their partner who receiving the funds they are entilted to.

This part is what is confusing me on whether I tick yes or no to be claiming WTC and CTC as they made us claim jointly.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:12 am

Pigerham wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:38 am
they made us claim jointly.
If your husband did not claim that old type of benefit jointly, he would have been committing benefit fraud because he has a partner that he lives with.

Pigerham
Newly Registered

Post by Pigerham » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:06 pm

I spoke with an immigration lawyer and they told me since he is British and receives the funds that i would click no to claiming public funds. Since he is the one who made the claim, and receives the funds. Hope this helps anyone who runs into this issue.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:41 am

Pigerham wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:06 pm
I spoke with an immigration lawyer and they told me since he is British and receives the funds that i would click no to claiming public funds. Since he is the one who made the claim, and receives the funds. Hope this helps anyone who runs into this issue.

You made a joint claim, not just your husband making it, because your partner would have committed benefit fraud if he had claimed as a single parent. The quote in the post from vinny shows that you were not treated as being subject to immigration control for that benefit.

As you had a child, you could have received the second adult element of Working Tax Credit, something that you could not have if there was not a child in the household.

Child Tax Credits and Working Tax Credits ended yesterday for all new claimants. All existing claimants will move or be moved to Universal Credit. UC has different rules for claimants and both parents must work.