ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Moving from the UK to Ireland

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

junaidakhtar
Newly Registered

Moving from the UK to Ireland

Post by junaidakhtar » Thu May 30, 2019 8:21 pm

I have got some complex queries this time and I hope that I will get the same kind of reliable and authentic solutions from this forum as I got previously.
1. I am currently living in the UK on the UK issued Residence Card of Family member of a Union citizen. I am planning to move to Ireland as my spouse is an Irish citizen. I believe that I can travel to Ireland on my current UKRC but I will have to apply for a Stamp4 EU FAM if I need to settle in Ireland, Please confirm this for me.
2. What will be the status of my current UKRC after I have moved to Ireland. Will I not be able to re-enter the UK again by using the same UKRC?
3. If I apply for Pre-Settled status now and move to Ireland after my Pre-Settled status is approved then will I be able to use that same status to re-enter the UK? I don't want to move Ireland in such a situation in which I am unable to return to the UK if I am unable to settle down in Ireland.
Thank you.

ScienceFall
Newly Registered
Ireland

Re: Moving from the UK to Ireland

Post by ScienceFall » Fri May 31, 2019 10:47 am

I'm not an expert on issues like this but it is unlikely that you'll get to retain any residence permit you had once you leave a country for a prolonged period of time. Only a passport holder retains their residency rights after relocating. For example, if you're married to an Irish citizen and get a residency permit to settle in Ireland, your permit will be revoked if you're absent from the sate for longer than 90 days. I'd assume moving to Ireland means you're no longer a settled resident of the UK and the chances of retaining such a permit is slim. I might be wrong tho!!!

DanaMarie
Ireland

Post by DanaMarie » Fri May 31, 2019 2:02 pm

So you are currently the holder of a spouse settlement visa with a BRP from the UK? Or are you on some other sort of visa?

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Fri May 31, 2019 2:24 pm

Legally you can take only one primary residence. That’s the country which issues you the residence permit. If you travel to Ireland and apply for residence here, legally your British residence permit is no longer valid.

Realistically I highly doubt whether the UK government will have the resources to monitor this and whether they are really going to revoke your permit. You won’t be able to renew your permit in the UK though.

By the way, as your spouse is an Irish citizen, once you apply for residence in Ireland, you will get Stamp 4 instead of 4EUFAM, which will restrict your ability to travel to other EU countries including UK without a visa.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Fri May 31, 2019 8:38 pm

Well provided you are not out of the UK for a period of 6 months in any calendar year, you will be able to retain your residence card and use it to travel to Ireland.

As your wife had exercised treaty rights in UK, you will be able to apply for Stamp 4EUfam.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors