ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK Visa Tier 4 (Early Entry and Biometrics)

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

LukeS1112
Newly Registered

UK Visa Tier 4 (Early Entry and Biometrics)

Post by LukeS1112 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:52 pm

So my girlfriend currently in the US, is starting university in the UK in September on a tier 4 student visa which has not yet been completed as I understand you cant complete until 90 days before.

She plans on coming here (UK) in July on a general visitor visa and staying with me up to the start of uni a few months later.

I understand you have to leave the country and re enter which we planned on doing if we go on holiday in the summer. By which time the Tier 4 visa will hopefully be approved.

Question is will this be an issue, will the UK Immigration get funny about re entry? and would they actually know where you've arrived from? I get the impression its 'technically' not illegal but there could be complications, has anyone done this if so how did it go? Perhaps do a turnaround flight to the US?

Also, is it possible to complete the Visa Biometrics permit from within the UK or as the application is from the US would it have to be done there?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: UK Visa Tier 4 (Early Entry and Biometrics)

Post by CR001 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:51 pm

She has to apply from the us. Usually the passport is also submitted with the application.

Even if she gets to keep her passport ok nice applied, she still has to return to the us and submit it for the visa vignette to be done.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

LukeS1112
Newly Registered

Post by LukeS1112 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:09 pm

CR001 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:51 pm
She has to apply from the us. Usually the passport is also submitted with the application.

Even if she gets to keep her passport ok nice applied, she still has to return to the us and submit it for the visa vignette to be done.
Well the application can technically be submitted before she leaves as its just after the 90 day mark. And we understand you have to return your passport/docs for sign off to head office in NYC I believe, but thats no issue getting those sent and returned back because of other family still in the US.

The main issue is the work around coming earlier than the student visa , and the biometrics.

Cheers

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:49 pm

She needs to enroll her biometrics in the us.

If she has a pending application, she also risks being questioned on arrival to visit you or refused entry as they have access to UKVI systems etc.

Once her passport has the visa in, she needs to enter the UK on the passport to effectively activate the visa and then collect her biometric card within 10 days of arriving, showing proof of her entry stamp on her tier 4 visa in her passport.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:56 pm

LukeS1112 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:09 pm
Well the application can technically be submitted before she leaves as its just after the 90 day mark.

And we understand you have to return your passport/docs for sign off to head office in NYC I believe, but thats no issue getting those sent and returned back because of other family still in the US.
The whole Tier 4 application, including giving biometrics, must be done in the USA. She should not leave the USA before she has her Tier 4 visa, even if she intends to go to the UK for a short visit first without needing a visa for that. I don't really understand what is the hurry: the Tier 4 processing time is pretty quick, although the exact time depends on how it works locally.
LukeS1112 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:09 pm
The main issue is the work around coming earlier than the student visa , and the biometrics.
There is no workaround for giving biometrics -- see above.

There is also no workaround for someone who wants to come to the UK sooner than their Tier 4 visa allows. However if they are genuinely coming for a short visit first, then leaving again at the end of her visit, they can do so as a General Visitor. This would entail leaving the UK at the end of the visit, then re-entering the UK under the Tier 4 visa during the Tier 4 vignette's 30 day validity. In order to study and to collect their Tier 4 Biometric Residence Permit they would need to have formally activated their Tier 4 leave by entering the country with it during its validity.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

JLT215
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by JLT215 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:49 pm

What did you decide to do? I’m planning on going early, leave, then come back, and I’m curious if it worked and how it went.

Thank you! :D