ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying from overseas

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

KhristyAnna
Newly Registered

Applying from overseas

Post by KhristyAnna » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:56 pm

Dear adviser,
I have recently attended a ceremony in UK and got a naturalisation certificate. Now I am outside the UK ( in EU) and I want to apply for a British passport through this link:
https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports.

I would like to know the following:

1) In the first step of this link, they ask if you live in the UK which at the moment I don't - would that have any negative effect on the type of nationality I will get if I apply for British citizenship while being outside UK?
2) in that questionnaire they also mention that you may be asked to attend an interview - what is that purpose of the interview? Can it effect if they give me a British passport or not?
3) How long it can take to get UK passport when applying outside UK?

Much appreciated!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Applying from overseas

Post by CR001 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:59 pm

1) In the first step of this link, they ask if you live in the UK which at the moment I don't - would that have any negative effect on the type of nationality I will get if I apply for British citizenship while being outside UK?
You don't 'get a type of nationality' when you apply for a passport. You are already British. A Passport is just a travel document.
2) in that questionnaire they also mention that you may be asked to attend an interview - what is that purpose of the interview? Can it effect if they give me a British passport or not?

Requests for interviews are random and rare these days. It is purely to confirm your identity and information HO hold.
Anywhere between a few weeks to a few months and depending on where you are, up to a year.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

KhristyAnna
Newly Registered

Post by KhristyAnna » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:02 pm

Thank you, CR001, for such a prompt answer, much appreciated!

guru1s

Post by guru1s » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:54 pm

KhristyAnna wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:56 pm
Dear adviser,
I have recently attended a ceremony in UK and got a naturalisation certificate. Now I am outside the UK ( in EU) and I want to apply for a British passport through this link:
https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports.

I would like to know the following:

Much appreciated!

You can apply for British Passport any time (even in 20 years time), as you are already a BC.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:04 pm

KhristyAnna wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:56 pm
I would be cautious about applying from abroad for your first British passport. Remember that one of the requirements of naturalization is the intent to reside in the UK. If you leave the UK immediately after naturalisation and apply for your British passport from abroad, the HMPO and HO may misinterpret your intention to reside in the UK.

Also see this (admittedly two year old) thread, where the HMPO unilaterally withdrew the passport application in a scenario not dissimilar to yours.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.