ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Registering children as a BC

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

londonphd

Registering children as a BC

Post by londonphd » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:27 pm

Hello,

I've read a few posts and found partial answers to my questions; can you please take a quick look at my questions below?

I would like to register three children of mine as british citizens. I received my ILR permit in May 2017.

Child 1
Born abroad while I was in the UK in 2009; arrived in the UK on PBS depedent visa in 2011. She has been ILR dependent since May 2017. Her visa expires at the end of March 2020.
  • Can I now register her as a British Citizen?
  • If, yes, what form do I use?

Child 2 & 3
Both born in the UK before I received my ILR status. Both are ILR depedents now. From what I read in this forum, I understood that I should submit an MN1 online application for the two children born in the UK.

All three are citizens of my home country and have valid passports.

Thank you.

secret.simon

Re: Registering children as a BC

Post by secret.simon » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:52 pm

londonphd wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:27 pm
Child 1
Born abroad while I was in the UK in 2009; arrived in the UK on PBS depedent visa in 2011. She has been ILR dependent since May 2017. Her visa expires at the end of March 2020.
What is the status of the other parent?

Children born abroad are generally expected to follow the same immigration path as the less privileged parent, apply for and acquire ILR with the second parent and then register for British citizenship, after at least one parent has acquired British citizenship and the other parent at least holds ILR.
londonphd wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:27 pm
Child 2 & 3
Both born in the UK before I received my ILR status. Both are ILR depedents now. From what I read in this forum, I understood that I should submit an MN1 online application for the two children born in the UK.
These children have an entitlement to be registered as British citizen.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

londonphd

Post by londonphd » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:32 pm

Thanks Simon,

My wife is ILR dependent too. I get it now - my wife and child 1 will have to apply for ILR and then register as British Citizens.
Thanks.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:56 pm

londonphd wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:32 pm
Thanks Simon,

My wife is ILR dependent too. I get it now - my wife and child 1 will have to apply for ILR and then register as British Citizens.
Thanks.
There is nothing like “ILR dependents”. Assuming you got your ILR via a PBS route, your dependents have are on a PBS dependent visa. They need to acquire ILR and only then apply for BC (born abroad).
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:02 pm

Your previous posts suggest you got ILR via LR. So you would have changed your dependents visa in 2017. They will only qualify for ILR after 5 years on FLR(M) that will be in 2022.
Last edited by CULLINAN on Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:03 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:56 pm
londonphd wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:32 pm
Thanks Simon,

Thanks.
There is nothing like “ILR dependents”. Assuming you got your ILR via a PBS route, your dependents have are on a PBS dependent visa. They need to acquire ILR and only then apply for BC (born abroad).
Op got ilr based on long residence and dependents switched to FLR M in 2017.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.