ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Proving you are in the UK?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

aw123
Newly Registered

Referees?

Post by aw123 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:18 am

Hi All,

I’m struggling a bit with the referees for my wife’s application, I have 1 who is a teacher which is fine but I’m struggling with the second one as most of the people I know with professions that are on the list are in some way or another related to me.

Does any one know how they define related? Is it direct family ie Father, brother etc or would relations like brother in law or niece be acceptable?

Thanks in advance

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Referees?

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:57 am

This is a regular question raised on the forum.
Related means both by blood and by law.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:59 am

aw123 wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:18 am
Hi All,

I’m struggling a bit with the referees for my wife’s application, I have 1 who is a teacher which is fine but I’m struggling with the second one as most of the people I know with professions that are on the list are in some way or another related to me.

Does any one know how they define related? Is it direct family ie Father, brother etc or would relations like brother in law or niece be acceptable?

Thanks in advance
You can't used family. You wife, brother in law, cousin, brother... cannot act as referee.

You can however use friends, colleagues and other professionals who know you like your manager, a doctor, social worker, health visitor, teacher... etc.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:00 pm

You only need ONE professional referee of any nationality. The other referee just be over 25 and British and does not have to be a professional.

Related means any relation though blood or marriage.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

aw123
Newly Registered

Post by aw123 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:29 pm

CR001 wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:00 pm
You only need ONE professional referee of any nationality. The other referee just be over 25 and British and does not have to be a professional.

Related means any relation though blood or marriage.
Ok thank you I missed that bit, that is very helpful, where can I double check please? Sorry to ask but I got shafted before for blindly taking advice from here without double checking myself to confirm. (Different username which I lost)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:36 pm

It is clearly stated in the form AN guidance notes, page 9

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... y-guidance
Sorry to ask but I got shafted before for blindly taking advice from here without double checking myself to confirm. (Different username which I lost)
What was your previous username? If you got "shafted" as you claim, you should have raised it with the moderators. Remember also that members are not Immigration advisors.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

aw123
Newly Registered

Post by aw123 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:54 pm

CR001 wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:36 pm
It is clearly stated in the form AN guidance notes, page 9

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... y-guidance
Sorry to ask but I got shafted before for blindly taking advice from here without double checking myself to confirm. (Different username which I lost)
What was your previous username? If you got "shafted" as you claim, you should have raised it with the moderators. Remember also that members are not Immigration advisors.
Thank you again.

I honestly can’t remember my username, would have been able to login with it if I did. I know regarding your second point, was completely my fault.....I should have have double checked there is no excuse.

aw123
Newly Registered

Proving you are in the UK?

Post by aw123 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:29 pm

I’m all ready to send off my wife’s application within the next week. One of the requirements is obviously to show you were in the UK 3 years before the application goes in. My basic problem is we went abroad in the December and came back to the uk early Jan 3 years ago but there is no stamp showing entry back to the uk in her passport, no idea why she didn’t get one. We then left the UK again for a couple of weeks in May which is clearly stamped.

So what will happen here? Will they cross check in and out dates with immigration? Or is there another way we can prove it? Thanks in advance.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Proving you are in the UK?

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:18 pm

Perhaps you still got emails/etickets relating to your flights? That will provide the date - you don't have to submit the evidence. If all else fails make your best guess. If it was early Jan you are ok anyway.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

aw123
Newly Registered

Post by aw123 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:55 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:18 pm
Perhaps you still got emails/etickets relating to your flights? That will provide the date - you don't have to submit the evidence. If all else fails make your best guess. If it was early Jan you are ok anyway.
Ok so don’t they really check for evidence? Would seem a bit strange if they don’t but still have it as a requirement.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:31 pm

aw123 wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:55 pm
alterhase58 wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:18 pm
Ok so don’t they really check for evidence? Would seem a bit strange if they don’t but still have it as a requirement.
I can't say what they actually check but in my case I just went through 5 years of my outlook calendar and listed every trip I had. You are of course required to submit on the basis that everything is true and to the best of your knowledge.