ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship - Naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Irakli

Re: British Citizenship - Naturalisation

Post by Irakli » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:44 pm

Hi CR001, all,

One last question I have please:

Regarding referees: both, professional and the other referee are our (applicants') friends. Can a professional referee be a friend? so can I say: professional referee's relationship to the applicant is 'Friend'?

note: Professional referee is - Director of VAT Paying Company.

Many thanks!

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:04 pm

Yes, correct - referees can be friends.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Irakli

Post by Irakli » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:16 pm

Thanks alot Alterhase58!

Irakli

Post by Irakli » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:02 pm

Dear All,

I want to share two quite bizarre scenarios I witnessed today. So yesterday I paid fee and submitted the naturalisation applications for me and my partner, I received details to book appointment for us to attend and upload documents on UKVCAS website, but then this happened:

1) Documents list on UKVCAS (Sopra Steria) website 90% does not match the actual checklist on the application, for ex. There is no category for Referees, etc. So I uploaded all these documents under 'Other' category, has anyone experienced similar? I am thinking this could be system error from UKVCAS website

2) Even more bizarre thing happened this evening when I received emails from Home Office with unique Case ID numbers stating that they received our applications and that they are being considered. How can they review application when I have not yet finished uploading documents and attended appointment (scheduled in almost a month time)! Has anyone experienced this situation? System error or standard approach?

Many thanks in advance!

Xterra
Newly Registered
Singapore

Post by Xterra » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:27 pm

Irakli wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:02 pm
Dear All,

I want to share two quite bizarre scenarios I witnessed today. So yesterday I paid fee and submitted the naturalisation applications for me and my partner, I received details to book appointment for us to attend and upload documents on UKVCAS website, but then this happened:

1) Documents list on UKVCAS (Sopra Steria) website 90% does not match the actual checklist on the application, for ex. There is no category for Referees, etc. So I uploaded all these documents under 'Other' category, has anyone experienced similar? I am thinking this could be system error from UKVCAS website

2) Even more bizarre thing happened this evening when I received emails from Home Office with unique Case ID numbers stating that they received our applications and that they are being considered. How can they review application when I have not yet finished uploading documents and attended appointment (scheduled in almost a month time)! Has anyone experienced this situation? System error or standard approach?

Many thanks in advance!
1. Please use this link for document categories.

indefinite-leave-to-remain/uploading-yo ... 96002.html

Btw: referee should be uploaded in the Sponsor category.

2. This is a standard email which provides your Case ID

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:36 pm

Irakli wrote:

They have received the online application and assigned a case ID reference number - it doesn't mean they are already reviewing. Without biometrics + documents they won't start work anyway. So it's a normal administrative procedure, similar say to ordering something on the web where you get an order confirmation.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Irakli

Post by Irakli » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:47 am

alterhase58 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:36 pm
Irakli wrote:

They have received the online application and assigned a case ID reference number - it doesn't mean they are already reviewing. Without biometrics + documents they won't start work anyway. So it's a normal administrative procedure, similar say to ordering something on the web where you get an order confirmation.
Understood - thank you for explanation! Now it makes sense

Irakli

Post by Irakli » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:58 am

Xterra wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:27 pm
Irakli wrote:
Dear All,

Many thanks in advance!
1. Please use this link for document categories.

indefinite-leave-to-remain/uploading-yo ... 96002.html

Btw: referee should be uploaded in the Sponsor category.

2. This is a standard email which provides your Case ID
1.Thank you for this - this is very helpful!! I guess this is generic list they display to all, because for Naturalisation application one does not need Life Events or Finances or Medical Information but on the other hand I have to upload Proof of Freedom from Immigration, Proof of Living in the UK(stamps in the passport when entering UK), etc. I will need to capture all these in closest matching categories I am guessing.

2.Thank you for clarification!

Irakli

Post by Irakli » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:31 am

Hello All,

Hope everybody is feeling good in this extraordinary times.

Would somebody kindly know following:

1. Once you submit application for British citizenship you can travel BUT those days you will be away from the UK will somehow affect the '90 days during last 12 months' requirement? Am I correct to think above will be only relevant if application is rejected and you have to resubmit application again?

2. Does anyone by chance know availabilities for Sopra Steria centres in or around London? Me and my wife have appointment on 31st and are concerned it might be postponed if lockdown happens. I called them up and was told that even they cannot see it and only way was for me to cancel existing appointment and then see what is available which obviously is huge risk for us as we might lose our spot on 31st and also find out that there are no free slots before.

Many thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:37 am

1. Once you submit application for British citizenship you can travel BUT those days you will be away from the UK will somehow affect the '90 days during last 12 months' requirement? Am I correct to think above will be only relevant if application is rejected and you have to resubmit application again?
Any travel after submitting is irrelevant to the current application.
2. Does anyone by chance know availabilities for Sopra Steria centres in or around London? Me and my wife have appointment on 31st and are concerned it might be postponed if lockdown happens. I called them up and was told that even they cannot see it and only way was for me to cancel existing appointment and then see what is available which obviously is huge risk for us as we might lose our spot on 31st and also find out that there are no free slots before.
I would suggest you keep the appointment you have for the time being.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Irakli

Post by Irakli » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:53 am

Thank you CR001 for your answer,

I forgot to mention that I wanted to reschedule our appointment for earlier date, even tomorrow if possible, hence why was thinking to cancel and see if there was anything available earlier. But yes, it is huge risk.

Irakli

Post by Irakli » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:27 pm

Dear CR001,

Theoretical question please:

Is it possible for only one applicant to attend British citizenship appointment (application is joint)? Say, another applicant has to leave country. Is this even allowed?

Many thanks!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:32 pm

Not possible. All applicants have to attend identity check and enrol biometrics at ukcvas
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Irakli

Post by Irakli » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:56 pm

Dear CR001, all,

SOS

Could you please kindly advise: someone can apply for British Citizenship after 12 month from getting ILR, so I got ILR on 13 March 2019 but I completed British Citizenship online application on 2 March 2020 and booked appointment with Sopra Steria in end of March(ie after 13 March) - it just hit me (I hope I am wrong!!), does Home Office consider as actual application date online submission date ie 2 March OR the date when I attend appointment in Sopra Steria (ie bring my original ID with me)?? I just realised that if they take the online application date as a official application date then I just messed this up and application will be rejected?!

Please kindly share your knowledge and experience.

Many thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:06 pm

As posted many times everyday, the date of application is the date you submit and pay online and not your biometric appointment with a third party agent.

You were already advised of this in the beginning of the thread!
alterhase58 wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:17 pm
Irakli wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:06 pm
Hello All,

I would appreciate your guidance :

Me and my partner qualify for British Citizenship (Naturalisation) in couple of months time.
We got ILR last year Spring.
I have been reading guidance and was not sure and had couple of questions:

1. For ILR we got a lot of documents I remember, do we still have to prove we have not left UK during past 6 years for 450+90 days? We have provided literally tens of bills and various documents for ILR application, reading now the guidance it still is asking to prove this (unless I understand it wrongly) https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... ooklet.pdf Naturalisation is a different process, under the British Nationality Act, not under immigration regulations. So provide all the documents and data that is required - do not rely on the fact you have provided same/similar details for ILR.

2. I remember from somewhere that application can be made 1 month before the due date (11th month after obtaining ILR) is this true? No - there is no early application (28 days or such) - you must complete the 12 months after having gained ILR.

3. Can person still travel while he/she is awaiting British Citizenship decision? Yes - travel is ok as you will retain the originals of passports and BRP.

Many thanks in advance!
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Irakli

Post by Irakli » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:08 pm

:((((

Is there anyway I can amend this or is there anything I can do here CR001?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:09 pm

Nothing you can do now. Hope for the best.

But as already stated in my amended previous reply, you were already advised about this on the 10th February when you originally started the topic. Not sure why you ignored the advice.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Irakli

Post by Irakli » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:09 pm

I thought the actual date would be date when I attend the appointment and they check my original passport :((((( I want to kill myself

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:12 pm

It is and has been well documented since 2018 that the date of application is the date you submit and pay online, exactly the same as for when you applied for ILR.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Irakli

Post by Irakli » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:14 pm

Oh God...

From you experience CR001 has there been instance when citizenship was still granted in this situation?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:23 pm

As I said, all you can do is proceed and hope for the best. It will likely be ok.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Irakli

Post by Irakli » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:25 pm

Thank you CR001,

one last question please, is it better for me mention this mistake and provide explanation letter to upload in documents?

AnotherUUID

Post by AnotherUUID » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:07 pm

Irakli wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:25 pm
Thank you CR001,

one last question please, is it better for me mention this mistake and provide explanation letter to upload in documents?
It's unlikely to have a huge impact as the guidelines are very clear on this matter. However, it may sway the caseworker's view towards exercising discretion and allowing you to redeclare your application. It's not uncommon for HO to do that, but there have also been plenty of cases where they haven't. It all boils down to luck at this point.

I hope it works out for the best.

Irakli

Post by Irakli » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:12 pm

Thank you AnotherUUID for your reply,

If worst happens:

1) I lose money right (its for me and my wife, two applications)? The only option will be to reapply? If so, when will I be able to reapply ie is there a specific period one has to wait after refusal?

or

2) Is there a way for rebut the decision?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:19 pm

1) I lose money right (its for me and my wife, two applications)? The only option will be to reapply? If so, when will I be able to reapply ie is there a specific period one has to wait after refusal?
Yes you lose the fee. You only get £80 each back, which is the ceremony fee. You can reapply at any point provided you meet all the same requirements, including the physically present at the same time exactly 5 years ago.
2) Is there a way for rebut the decision?
There is no appeal process for a refused citizenship application. You are not making an immigration application. You will only have an option to request a reconsideration which costs just under £400 each and HO can take as long as they need to or wish.
Char (CR001 not Casa)