ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Change of name after marriage

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

afdales
Newly Registered

Change of name after marriage

Post by afdales » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:40 pm

My partner and I are marrying soon and she would like to use my surname.

We will immediately apply for a visa extension (as she is in the UK on a 6 month settlement visa). Her current visa is of course in her unmarried name.

My question is should we apply for the visa extension in her new name, or her old name but marked as "nae Oldname". Are we likely to have problems if the documents like passport are in her old name.

Should we simply continue with her old name until the visa is granted, then change it.

geoeng
Canada

Re: Change of name after marriage

Post by geoeng » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:57 pm

As far as I am aware, the visa will be issued in the name shown on the passport and this is what the application form will ask for. Also keep in mind that if you apply using an old surname and then change it, you will also have to apply for a new BRP within 3 months of the change.
I'm just a guy on the Internet who immigrated to the UK. My opinions are based on my experience and interpretation of the immigration rules and should not be considered legal or immigration advice; your mileage may vary.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Re: Change of name after marriage

Post by seagul » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:29 pm

afdales wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:40 pm
My partner and I are marrying soon and she would like to use my surname.

We will immediately apply for a visa extension (as she is in the UK on a 6 month settlement visa). Her current visa is of course in her unmarried name.

My question is should we apply for the visa extension in her new name, or her old name but marked as "nae Oldname". Are we likely to have problems if the documents like passport are in her old name.

Should we simply continue with her old name until the visa is granted, then change it.
Also remember that adopting married name is not necessary.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.