ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Nationality queries

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

shaiderrn
Mood:
Pakistan

Naturalisation good character help

Post by shaiderrn » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:55 pm

Hi, i am on ILR for past 2 years, i want to apply for naturalisation and i want to know about good character requirement. I have no conviction or ccj, i just have debts and i am with debt management company and paying off all debts with payment plan. Will this effect my application ? Other than that i dont have other thing that i can think of being a cause of bad character.... its just debts and i am on payment plan and paying them off. I did not apply for iva or bankruptcy i am on just debt management plan and paying them according to what i can afford to pay....
help needed to find if anyone on similar condition or if this will affect my application or make it complicated ?

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Naturalisation good character help

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:15 pm

Debts as such are not an issue (we all have them), and if you run into problems meeting them it's not an issue either if you have payment plans in place and complying with them. UKVI do have access to credit reports of course. But there are a fair number of applicants on here mainly with CCJs who still get approved.

Refer to the guidance - page 37 on: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... y-guidance
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

London22
Member of Standing

Post by London22 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:18 am

shaiderrn wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:55 pm
Hi, i am on ILR for past 2 years, i want to apply for naturalisation and i want to know about good character requirement. I have no conviction or ccj, i just have debts and i am with debt management company and paying off all debts with payment plan. Will this effect my application ? Other than that i dont have other thing that i can think of being a cause of bad character.... its just debts and i am on payment plan and paying them off. I did not apply for iva or bankruptcy i am on just debt management plan and paying them according to what i can afford to pay....
help needed to find if anyone on similar condition or if this will affect my application or make it complicated ?
You will be fine so just go ahead &apply.UK immigration rules are not straightforward & most of times doesn't make sense,like being in debt or bankruptcy or even having a criminal record can get an application approved but if someone overstays a visa they can't apply and have to wait for 10years .So I mean to say rules have no sense and that's why HO has been asked to simplify the rules by law commissioners & a change is therefore expected in 2021.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:02 am

London22 wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:18 am
even having a criminal record can get an application approved
Not necessarily true. It depends on the type of crime. Serious crimes will also lead to naturalisation being rejected. See the Good Character guidance: Criminality for more info.
London22 wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:18 am
that's why HO has been asked to simplify the rules by law commissioners
It's the other way around. The Home Office had asked the Law Commission to simplify the Immigration Rules.

However,
(a) it is the Immigration Rules only, not anything to do with naturalisation or citizenship laws, and
(b) the Law Commission's remit is to tidy up the Immigration Rules (numbering, more inclusive language, structure) without any change to the immigration policy.

As the Law Commission itself states on their webpage, "This project does not consider any issue of substantive immigration policy, but is focused on how the Rules are drafted and presented, helping to implement that policy."

Because the review of the Immigration Rules is restricted to ,well, the Immigration Rules, there is no change expected in the Good Character requirements, which is a part of nationality law, not immigration law (which ends at ILR).
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

shaiderrn
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by shaiderrn » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:08 pm

So u guys think i should apply for it ? Considering my circumstances as mentioned above.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:27 pm

shaiderrn wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:08 pm
So u guys think i should apply for it ? Considering my circumstances as mentioned above.
To the best of my knowledge, being in debt has no implications for Good Character, unless you have been declared insolvent.

Also see Page 38 of the Good Character guidance and also read the rest of the chapter on Financial Soundness.
Debt
An application will not normally be refused simply because the person is in debt, especially if loan repayments have been made as agreed or if acceptable efforts are being made to pay off accumulated debts.

However, where a person deliberately and recklessly builds up debts and there is no evidence of a serious intention to pay them off, the application will normally be refused.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

shaiderrn
Mood:
Pakistan

Nationality queries

Post by shaiderrn » Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:57 pm

Hi, i am ILR Holder since 2018, i want to apply for Nationality now, the reason i am applying late is due to availability of funds and also due to the reason i am stuck with debts, i am being defaulted by few lenders but i have been paying to them through PAYPLAN for about an year now.
i want to find out whether my debts will cause any issue with my application and is this the right time for me to apply for application considering another lock down ?

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Nationality queries

Post by CR001 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:59 pm

Topics merged. Answer remains the same as when you asked in April.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

shaiderrn
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by shaiderrn » Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:37 pm

Thanks admin sorry about duplicate topic

shaiderrn
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by shaiderrn » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:10 pm

Application submitted now I got biometric appointment on 13 January at cardiff

I want to ask I didn’t mention anywhere while filling application that I have debts and I am paying them off via Payplan.
I asked one of my friend he told me you don’t have to mention anything about debts and parking tickets if they all been paid.
My only question now would be should I write a letter and send along with docs explaining my debts payments and parking tickets been paid ? Last thing I want is getting application refused or delayed because of these couple of things...

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:33 pm

shaiderrn wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:10 pm
Application submitted now I got biometric appointment on 13 January at cardiff

I want to ask I didn’t mention anywhere while filling application that I have debts and I am paying them off via Payplan.
I asked one of my friend he told me you don’t have to mention anything about debts and parking tickets if they all been paid.
My only question now would be should I write a letter and send along with docs explaining my debts payments and parking tickets been paid ? Last thing I want is getting application refused or delayed because of these couple of things...
Do you have a CCJ? If you have a CCJ you must declare it. However, if you are paying for it, you should provide evidence with your application.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

shaiderrn
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by shaiderrn » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:42 pm

I do not have any ccj, however I have 4 default accounts which i have been paying them every month. I had 6 default , 2 of them paid off now remaining 4 is been paying every month.
I want to know should I write a letter or something explaining all this or not needed in my circumstances ?
How about the paid parking tickets 3 years ago.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:45 pm

shaiderrn wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:42 pm
I do not have any ccj, however I have 4 default accounts which i have been paying them every month. I had 6 default , 2 of them paid off now remaining 4 is been paying every month.
I want to know should I write a letter or something explaining all this or not needed in my circumstances ?
How about the paid parking tickets 3 years ago.
If you do not have any CCJ, the matter is between you and the lender. The lender did not take you to court to recover the debt. No need to declare then.
No need to declare PCNs unless they are numerous. PCN is issued to the vehicle not the driver.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

shaiderrn
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by shaiderrn » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:15 am

Yeah I don’t have any ccj or insolvency.... it’s just debts around £30K and I have been paying £400 a month since 2019 to clear them off. So I don’t need to mention any of this right ? Just provide the documents they requested at biometric centre.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:16 pm

AN form asks:
At any time have you ever had any of the following, in the UK or in another country?
A criminal conviction

A penalty for a driving offence, for example
disqualification for speeding or no motor insurance
An arrest or charge for which you are currently on, or awaiting trial

A caution, warning, reprimand or other penalty

A civil court judgment against you, for example for non payment of debt, bankruptcy proceedings or anti-social behaviour

A civil penalty issued under UK immigration law

Have you ever been declared bankrupt?

Do you have any dependants not applying with you at this time?
Declare only as it asks.