ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Various Naturalisation queries inc. witness, old visas and web form error

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

bobleves92
Newly Registered

Various Naturalisation queries inc. witness, old visas and web form error

Post by bobleves92 » Sun May 10, 2020 8:55 pm

Hi,
I'm checking my step-daughter's naturalisation application - Colombian, arrived in the UK 02/06 age 18, got ILR 04/16. I've read several hundred pages on this site and found some assistance but I can't find the exact answers to all questions. Apologies for over-thinking things (as many users are told) but there is a lot of money at risk on simple oversights.

Quick queries:
1 - place of birth is Bogota but passport says "Bogota Col" - use the proper name or as per passport?
2 - similarly, the passport issuing authority is "C Londres" (i.e. the UK Consulate); use that or "London"?
3 - for previous applications which required knowledge of English, "tell us the previous visa, entry clearance or leave to remain you had". On the SET(LR) ILR form she ticked the UK NARIC qualification option, but she took her degree and an earlier IELTs under previous visas. I think the ILR form asked for proof of knowledge of English therefore that should be her answer in form AN. She disagrees. Who is right?
4 - employment history - she put a couple out of date order; does she need to delete and re-do?
5 - she started completing the online form in Feb and got one witness form signed but she wanted to wait for a house move (the day before lockdown!) before continuing, then found she was pregnant so she's had other things on her mind, plus the 2nd witness has only just signed. Will the 1st form need to be redone with a newer date?

Some more serious Qs about previous visas:
6 - she can't remember when she applied for the first few visas, nor if she was fingerprinted. She can guesstimate the application month but not the day. E.g. on the online form she put Jan 06 for the first application date but left the date field blank and said "yes" to fingerprints. The application might have been Dec 05. Would getting the application Day / Month / fingerprints YN fields wrong, or leaving the Day field blank on any visas be grounds for refusal?
7 - she can't find anything relating to her 2014-15 visa, inc. covering letters. She had to send her BRPs with each previous application and UKVI retained them. She and/or I have scans of most, but not that one. How can she get the details? Would a Subject Access Request do it?
8 - finally, the "Add" option on the online form disappeared after she input the first 3 (of 7) previous visas. She tried changing "do you have any previous visas?"to "No", then back to "Yes", and now it only lets her input one! Has anyone else had this, how did they resolve it, or does she have to start everything again?

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Various Naturalisation queries inc. witness, old visas and web form error

Post by alterhase58 » Mon May 11, 2020 9:47 am

1 - place of birth is Bogota but passport says "Bogota Col" - use the proper name or as per passport? Bogota
2 - similarly, the passport issuing authority is "C Londres" (i.e. the UK Consulate); use that or "London"? London
3 - for previous applications which required knowledge of English, "tell us the previous visa, entry clearance or leave to remain you had". On the SET(LR) ILR form she ticked the UK NARIC qualification option, but she took her degree and an earlier IELTs under previous visas. I think the ILR form asked for proof of knowledge of English therefore that should be her answer in form AN. She disagrees. Who is right? Not sure here, NARIC is for foreign degree taught in English - what degree does she hold? If it's a UK degree just select that option.
4 - employment history - she put a couple out of date order; does she need to delete and re-do? No issue
5 - she started completing the online form in Feb and got one witness form signed but she wanted to wait for a house move (the day before lockdown!) before continuing, then found she was pregnant so she's had other things on her mind, plus the 2nd witness has only just signed. Will the 1st form need to be redone with a newer date? Should be fine - it's within a reasonable time of the application.
Regarding points 6-8, enter as much detail as you have, estimated month/year should be find - you could also summarise everything on a separate note and upload with the other documents.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

bobleves92
Newly Registered

Post by bobleves92 » Mon May 11, 2020 7:23 pm

Thanks very much for your help. Re: point 3, I accidentally cut the quote from the form short: it's "tell us the previous visa, entry clearance or leave to remain where you had to prove your knowledge of English". My step-daughter has a UK degree so my recollection of NARIC was obviously wrong, but my general point was that in my opinion she still had to prove knowledge of English when applying for ILR, whereas she thinks the naturalisation question refers to a previous study visa.

She's going to do a subject access request to get the missing visa info. It will delay things another month but better to be safe than lose the application fee.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon May 11, 2020 7:28 pm

The questions refers to ilr or any previous visa where she had to meet the English requirment. It is not only relevant to a previous student visa.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.