ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Closed Visa Offices - Australia

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Leanne08
Newly Registered
Australia

Closed Visa Offices - Australia

Post by Leanne08 » Tue May 12, 2020 2:37 am

Hi

We are in Australia and need to get to the UK before September. I am a British Citizen by descent and have 2 sons aged 12 and 19. I am engaged to a UK citizen and resident who is in the Navy and has a house for us all when we get there. I have been offered a Social Work position by the local Council to start as soon as I get there, they are will to write a letter confirming this.

The only thing that is stopping us is being able to apply for a child visa for my 12 year old and either an Ancestry Visa or Youth Mobility visa for my 19 year as the offices here are all shut. Are we able to come to the UK under a tourist visa (6months validity) and during that time transfer to the appropriate visas?
Has there been any information as to when the visa offices will be open? Could we apply via the UK based visa offices?

Thank you.

geoeng
Canada

Re: Closed Visa Offices - Australia

Post by geoeng » Tue May 12, 2020 6:28 am

Leanne08 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 2:37 am
Are we able to come to the UK under a tourist visa (6months validity) and during that time transfer to the appropriate visas?
Has there been any information as to when the visa offices will be open? Could we apply via the UK based visa offices?
No would be the short answer to all of those questions. Those particular visa categories require applications be submitted from outside the UK and cannot be switched to from a tourist visa as far as I am aware (I'm not particularly familiar with ancestry visas and the associated requirements). That said, the applications are completed online so there should be little barrier to submitting an application and then waiting for the application centres to open to complete the biometric appointment, which gets you in the queue if nothing else. As to when the application centres open again and processing capacity increases, this will depend on restrictions being eased both in the UK and the country being applied from; being in Australia may be of benefit here as they seem to have a good handle on things at the moment.
I'm just a guy on the Internet who immigrated to the UK. My opinions are based on my experience and interpretation of the immigration rules and should not be considered legal or immigration advice; your mileage may vary.

physicskate
Diamond Member

Post by physicskate » Tue May 12, 2020 7:51 am

Seems like you are still in the research phase of your application - so use some time to ensure that you understnad the requirements AND can evidence that you tick every single box. Then apply online. Submit the application. If you don't submit it, it isn't even in the queue. Worry about the biometrics when the time comes.

I understand the job is relevant to the timeline you are working towards, but it is totally irrelevant to a spouse visa application. Or is it a fiance visa that you're applying for, if you aren't married yet?? Do you understand the requirements to marry in the UK and the associated (long) timelines with giving notice, etc... A fiance visa is valid for 6 months, during which time you cannot work or use the NHS... not a route I (personally) recommend if it can be at all avoided.

Or are you applying for a Tier 2 work sponsored visa? In which case, your employer is required to kick off the visa process by applying for a CoS.

Seems like the 'offices being shut' is the least of your concerns at the moment. You are aware that you cannot submit your applications at the offices anyway, as they are all submitted online? Your biometrics have to be enrolled at an office, but that is after the visa submission anyway.

More info: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -australia

Ignore the youth mobility if your 19 year old can meet the ancestry visa requirements. Youth mobility does not lead to settlement, but ancestry does.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue May 12, 2020 7:58 am

physicskate wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 7:51 am
I understand the job is relevant to the timeline you are working towards, but it is totally irrelevant to a spouse visa application. Or is it a fiance visa that you're applying for, if you aren't married yet?? Do you understand the requirements to marry in the UK and the associated (long) timelines with giving notice, etc... A fiance visa is valid for 6 months, during which time you cannot work or use the NHS... not a route I (personally) recommend if it can be at all avoided.

Or are you applying for a Tier 2 work sponsored visa? In which case, your employer is required to kick off the visa process by applying for a CoS.
The op has very clearly stated that they are British by descent and only the children need visas.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

physicskate
Diamond Member

Post by physicskate » Tue May 12, 2020 8:06 am

CR001 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 7:58 am

The op has very clearly stated that they are British by descent and only the children need visas.
Oh you are so right! I am an idiot these days. The small child had me up 6 times last night.... ugh sleep deprivation does terrible things!!!

Apologies OP. But my advice about making sure you have ticked every box and have all your ducks in a row and apply still stands. The visa offices being shut is still not the most pressing issue.

Can you show sole responsibility for the youngest? As you are sponsoring his visa, are you aware of all of the documentation requirements? Your job needs to start within 3 months of your return to the UK, so actually your timeline is right on track at the moment...

Leanne08
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by Leanne08 » Wed May 13, 2020 4:36 am

Thank you everyone. I totally understand physicskate, thanks for making the effort to respond.

Yes my entry into the UK is fine. I have a court order re my youngest son saying I have sole parental responsibility and that he will reside in the UK with me. I tried to get witness letters from school to say that the father has not been involved but they are not allowed to do that. I have a signed stat declaration regarding the father not being involved since the child was very young.

My 19 year old hasnt decided how long he wants to stay so thought we would get him to start with a Youth Mobility visa and then he could return to Australia and apply for an Ancestry Visa. This is a choice for him to make.

I cant believe I didnt know you do the applications on line. For my youngest's visa we cant apply in advance of 3 months before proposed date. It is great to know that we can jump into the queue and wait and see.

Very helpful, thanks

Leanne08
Newly Registered
Australia

Re: Closed Visa Offices - Cant access Online Application

Post by Leanne08 » Wed May 13, 2020 10:31 am

Hi

So I just tried to go online and start the application process and the site keep saying that the page is not available. At the top of each webpage it says "BETA: This is a trial service". Do any tech people know what this means? Is it that they are running a different program so not all areas are accessible? Is there a contact phone number or email that anyone knows of to get access to the forms? I have had a look but cant find anything.

Thanks so much for any help
Leanne

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed May 13, 2020 10:44 am

Useful to post the application link you are trying to use.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Leanne08
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by Leanne08 » Wed May 13, 2020 11:39 am

Thank you ... I am able to get into the application now thankfully.

This is such a great site, I really appreciate all the help.
Leanne

geoeng
Canada

Re: Closed Visa Offices - Cant access Online Application

Post by geoeng » Wed May 13, 2020 12:04 pm

Leanne08 wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 10:31 am
At the top of each webpage it says "BETA: This is a trial service". Do any tech people know what this means? Is it that they are running a different program so not all areas are accessible?
That banner has been there for ages on some visa types (though not all it doesn't seem like) but shouldn't affect the functionality of the application itself, it's not really all that new anymore. I feel like it shows up on a lot of various UK government web services.
I'm just a guy on the Internet who immigrated to the UK. My opinions are based on my experience and interpretation of the immigration rules and should not be considered legal or immigration advice; your mileage may vary.