ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Universal credit and sponsoring spouse

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Seyi2020
Newly Registered

Universal credit and sponsoring spouse

Post by Seyi2020 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:08 pm

Hello everyone, I am a bit confused about a situation I am in and I want to share for advice. I have indefinite leave to remain and I have 2 kids from previous relationship. I am in another relationship now and we are planning to get married towards the end of the year. My current partner is a student in the uk and I will need to file for him at some point next year. I currently meet up with the minimum threshold but I have just applied for universal credit to support my income of 19,500. I am planning to keep my job and continue taking the universal credit to support my income. Will there be a problem when I try to file for my partner because I am taking universal credit although I meet up with the minimum threshold required?

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Re: Universal credit and sponsoring spouse

Post by seagul » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:36 pm

Seyi2020 wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:08 pm
. I have indefinite leave to remain and I have 2 kids from previous relationship. I am in another relationship now and we are planning to get married towards the end of the year. My current partner is a student in the uk and I will need to file for him at some point next year
To begin any subsequent relation you must first will have to liberate from any previous relationship in the form of divorce etc. If you aren't living and in good terms with your partner to who you had sponsored then you will have to report about the breakdown of your relationship to UKVI. However, if you don't rather helping him to secure the ILR by misrepresenting the actual circumstances then both of you can be reprimanded where your ILR might be revoked.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

geoeng
Canada

Re: Universal credit and sponsoring spouse

Post by geoeng » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:04 am

Seyi2020 wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:08 pm
Will there be a problem when I try to file for my partner because I am taking universal credit although I meet up with the minimum threshold required?
Shouldn't be a problem if it is a benefit you are entitled to based on your immigration status. Universal credit cannot be used towards meeting the financial requirement though so be sure you are able to satisfy this requirement solely with your other income.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... -ext_1.pdf
I'm just a guy on the Internet who immigrated to the UK. My opinions are based on my experience and interpretation of the immigration rules and should not be considered legal or immigration advice; your mileage may vary.