ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

BoyTed
Somalia

Re: Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

Post by BoyTed » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:34 pm

Sous49 wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:17 pm
BoyTed wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:48 pm
Iam not even bothered about ceremony as the rough journey and battle was with the Home office i think we should pray fir those waiting.
Many congratulation Boyted . Interestingly enough some are getting posted letters , some by emails
I got the decision when the HO replied to my email asking about an update.but still waiting for the letter
Sous49 Thanks so much bro and congrats to you its been a tough journey anyways ive got via post and you right they send decision email and post i think they need to stick to one instead of confusing us.

starlin

Post by starlin » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:08 pm

Hi all,

I have updates from my council by email. It seems every council making its own decisions. They have booked me for 11th July. My certificate must be sent to council already. (The date of My Citizenship invitation letter: 20th March for your reference)

Finally, thing is moving slowly. Good luck everyone! 8)

E-mail content below if you are interested.

Dear Applicants,

We are now beginning to proceed with citizenship ceremonies at Islington. These ceremonies will be private ceremonies where only yourself can attend (no fee will be required from you) no guests will be allowed to attend and there will be no exceptions to the rule. We will send out pre-set times for you to attend.

Due to the large number of people we need to accommodate, we cannot be flexible on the dates and times supplied, so you will need to ensure you are available to attend your set date and time . These ceremonies will be on Saturdays only and you will only be required to state the oath and pledge and bring your required documents with you.

You will be asked to wear a face mask and each person will be allocated a 10 minute time slot in order to complete their ceremony and receive their certificate. It is vitally important that you arrive on time on the date, any late arrivals will not be seen and you will need to be allocated a new date (these will be arranged via email).

Priority will be given to those who are nearing their citizenship expiry date.

Please note, if you have been granted citizenship post lockdown we cannot do your ceremony. We have not received any certificates since March 2020 and we will be focusing on those that we received pre-lockdown.

Please reply with your Home Office reference number (Case ID Number) and I will book you in.

Bookings will be on 11th July, 18th July, 25th July, 1st August, please select a date and we will allocate you a time, if that date becomes full, you will be given the next available Saturday.

Please make sure you are free on Saturdays in July and August - once we have your details, we will begin issuing ceremony dates and times.

PLEASE NOTE - if you are not available for your allocated date and time we may not be able to reschedule you to a new date and you will need to contact the Home office for an extension.

Note:

WARNING: If you have any symptoms, stay at home, and contact us to reschedule. Do not attend your appointment and if you are seen to be ill you will be refused entry to the town Hall. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/

If you have just arrived in the UK from, or are currently in, a restricted country you will need to self-quarantine for 14 days. If you are unable to attend your given date because you are in quarantine – please contact us so we can reschedule your ceremony.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... rder-rules

If a local lockdown is implemented we will have to change things and we will adhere to all restrictions in place – this could mean that all ceremonies are cancelled again.

Many Thanks
Xxx

-------------------

Booking info they gave me:

Hi xxx,

I have booked you for xx:xx on 11th July, please bring your ID and letter from the Home Office and wear a mask please.

Many Thanks,

Xxx

BoyTed
Somalia

Post by BoyTed » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:40 pm

Sous49 wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:17 pm
BoyTed wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:48 pm
Iam not even bothered about ceremony as the rough journey and battle was with the Home office i think we should pray fir those waiting.
Many congratulation Boyted . Interestingly enough some are getting posted letters , some by emails
I got the decision when the HO replied to my email asking about an update.but still waiting for the letter
Sous49,
You will get your letter soon.

AC12
Mood:
India

Post by AC12 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:59 am

Best wishes to you!

Not very promising for those who haven't received their certificates yet, looks like it'll be a long wait for some of us.

starlin wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:08 pm
Hi all,

I have updates from my council by email. It seems every council making its own decisions. They have booked me for 11th July. My certificate must be sent to council already. (The date of My Citizenship invitation letter: 20th March for your reference)

Finally, thing is moving slowly. Good luck everyone! 8)

E-mail content below if you are interested.

Dear Applicants,

We are now beginning to proceed with citizenship ceremonies at Islington. These ceremonies will be private ceremonies where only yourself can attend (no fee will be required from you) no guests will be allowed to attend and there will be no exceptions to the rule. We will send out pre-set times for you to attend.

Due to the large number of people we need to accommodate, we cannot be flexible on the dates and times supplied, so you will need to ensure you are available to attend your set date and time . These ceremonies will be on Saturdays only and you will only be required to state the oath and pledge and bring your required documents with you.

You will be asked to wear a face mask and each person will be allocated a 10 minute time slot in order to complete their ceremony and receive their certificate. It is vitally important that you arrive on time on the date, any late arrivals will not be seen and you will need to be allocated a new date (these will be arranged via email).

Priority will be given to those who are nearing their citizenship expiry date.

Please note, if you have been granted citizenship post lockdown we cannot do your ceremony. We have not received any certificates since March 2020 and we will be focusing on those that we received pre-lockdown.

Please reply with your Home Office reference number (Case ID Number) and I will book you in.

Bookings will be on 11th July, 18th July, 25th July, 1st August, please select a date and we will allocate you a time, if that date becomes full, you will be given the next available Saturday.

Please make sure you are free on Saturdays in July and August - once we have your details, we will begin issuing ceremony dates and times.

PLEASE NOTE - if you are not available for your allocated date and time we may not be able to reschedule you to a new date and you will need to contact the Home office for an extension.

Note:

WARNING: If you have any symptoms, stay at home, and contact us to reschedule. Do not attend your appointment and if you are seen to be ill you will be refused entry to the town Hall. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/

If you have just arrived in the UK from, or are currently in, a restricted country you will need to self-quarantine for 14 days. If you are unable to attend your given date because you are in quarantine – please contact us so we can reschedule your ceremony.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... rder-rules

If a local lockdown is implemented we will have to change things and we will adhere to all restrictions in place – this could mean that all ceremonies are cancelled again.

Many Thanks
Xxx

-------------------

Booking info they gave me:

Hi xxx,

I have booked you for xx:xx on 11th July, please bring your ID and letter from the Home Office and wear a mask please.

Many Thanks,

Xxx

Moa7

Post by Moa7 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:39 am

AC12 wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:39 am
Councils, like any other workplace, need to be 'Covid Secure'. Unless they've met these guidelines, they'd be hesitant in restarting ceremonies. Some councils have been proactive in making sure they meet the Covid guidelines, some have been pretty slow, which is why we see some councils restarting the ceremonies while some haven't.

However, I understand the frustration everyone is feeling right now ! I am in the same boat. I was approved on 9th March, told to wait for an invitation letter. My council said they had received an email from HO on 12/03 that they won't be sending out any more certificates, as they were 'expecting a lockdown' to happen soon.

I guess the frustration stems from the fact that HO have not cared to communicate, meaning we do all the chasing, asking our councils, FB groups, forums, for any new/relevant information. All good saying they're concentrating on ILR applications and limited leave to remain candidates, but for the money that we pay, you'd expect a far better service from HO, specially the way they communicate.
Hi AC12, I recall the first email I got from the Home Office said my application was also processed on 9 March, but the letter I got in May is dated 26 May. What date are you considering as your 'approval date' from which to start counting the 6 months limit to do a ceremony?

AC12
Mood:
India

Post by AC12 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:10 am

Hey !

I think the 3 months (Or 6 months now due to Covid) is based on the date on the citizenship ceremony invitation letter, which we haven't got yet, not on the approval letter.

Moa7 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:39 am
AC12 wrote:
Councils, like any other workplace, need to be 'Covid Secure'. Unless they've met these guidelines, they'd be hesitant in restarting ceremonies. Some councils have been proactive in making sure they meet the Covid guidelines, some have been pretty slow, which is why we see some councils restarting the ceremonies while some haven't.

However, I understand the frustration everyone is feeling right now ! I am in the same boat. I was approved on 9th March, told to wait for an invitation letter. My council said they had received an email from HO on 12/03 that they won't be sending out any more certificates, as they were 'expecting a lockdown' to happen soon.

I guess the frustration stems from the fact that HO have not cared to communicate, meaning we do all the chasing, asking our councils, FB groups, forums, for any new/relevant information. All good saying they're concentrating on ILR applications and limited leave to remain candidates, but for the money that we pay, you'd expect a far better service from HO, specially the way they communicate.
Hi AC12, I recall the first email I got from the Home Office said my application was also processed on 9 March, but the letter I got in May is dated 26 May. What date are you considering as your 'approval date' from which to start counting the 6 months limit to do a ceremony?

Sous49
Mood:

Post by Sous49 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:51 am

AC12 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:10 am
Hey !

I think the 3 months (Or 6 months now due to Covid) is based on the date on the citizenship ceremony invitation letter, which we haven't got yet, not on the approval letter.

Moa7 wrote:
AC12 wrote:

Hello

I think it is the date on the letter you receive from the HO.the decision later

AC12
Mood:
India

Post by AC12 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:02 am

Hi,

This is what the HO website states - 6 months after receiving an invitation from the Home Office.

"Due to coronavirus (COVID-19), you’ll have 6 months to book your citizenship ceremony after receiving an invitation from the Home Office. Any delays caused by COVID-19 will not affect decisions around your application."

Sous49 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:51 am
AC12 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:10 am
Hey !

Moa7 wrote:
AC12 wrote:

Hello

I think it is the date on the letter you receive from the HO.the decision later

mm_hash
Newly Registered

Post by mm_hash » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:10 pm

Hi,

I’ve been checking this thread since March :( so now that I’ve an update I thought I’ll add to it.

We received our approval beginning of March (3/3/20), had a group ceremony booked for 25/03/20, which was cancelled.

My husband had his citizenship ceremony today at 10:15 at Luton. We paid £100 for a private ceremony. We emailed them on Yesterday (Thursday) asking for an update. We were informed they can do private ceremonies only no group ones yet. Asked to book the next earliest available, got the next morning.

Thank you.

starlin

Post by starlin » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:17 pm

Thanks! AC12, I consider myself lucky, probably the last certificates sent from HO before lockdown.
I will report back how it goes. :)
AC12 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:59 am
Best wishes to you!

Not very promising for those who haven't received their certificates yet, looks like it'll be a long wait for some of us.

ani_xxx
Newly Registered
Russia

Post by ani_xxx » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:22 pm

Hi, is anyone waiting for a ceremony from Westminster council?
My private ceremony was scheduled for 24th March and just the day before the lockdown was announced and ceremony cancelled.

I have emailed the council and got a response that "We are booking citizens in order of how long they have been waiting for a ceremony."

No further details or estimations when this will happen.

Maybe someone already got booked for a ceremony in Westminster council?

nnn15

Post by nnn15 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:44 pm

ani_xxx wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:22 pm
My private ceremony was scheduled for 24th March and just the day before the lockdown was announced and ceremony cancelled.

I have emailed the council and got a response that "We are booking citizens in order of how long they have been waiting for a ceremony."

I'm also waiting for ceremonies in Westminster council to resume, but I didn't have a ceremony scheduled before the lockdown as my application wasn't processed then.
I still haven't received any official decision letter from the Home Office, neither by post nor by email. However, I got an email from the case worker saying I would receive an invitation to the ceremony once they resume.
I tried calling Westminster council, but they said they didn't know yet when ceremonies could restart. They posted on their website (https://www.westminster.gov.uk/westmins ... virus-faqs) "unfortunately there are no ceremonies available at present until August at the earliest". I would hope they could restart at least private ceremonies given pubs, restaurants, cinemas and hotels open tomorrow.

Hoping you could get your ceremony scheduled soon as they must have your certificate already! And please post here if you get any updates.

Learning18

Post by Learning18 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:22 pm

nnn15 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:44 pm
ani_xxx wrote:

I'm also waiting for ceremonies in Westminster council to resume, but I didn't have a ceremony scheduled before the lockdown as my application wasn't processed then.
I still haven't received any official decision letter from the Home Office, neither by post nor by email. However, I got an email from the case worker saying I would receive an invitation to the ceremony once they resume.
I tried calling Westminster council, but they said they didn't know yet when ceremonies could restart. They posted on their website (https://www.westminster.gov.uk/westmins ... virus-faqs) "unfortunately there are no ceremonies available at present until August at the earliest". I would hope they could restart at least private ceremonies given pubs, restaurants, cinemas and hotels open tomorrow.

Hoping you could get your ceremony scheduled soon as they must have your certificate already! And please post here if you get any updates.

Hi,

My naturalisation application has been approved, however I haven't recieved my invitation letter as it was approved in June. Westminster contacted me today as I have filled a form on the website to be notified if services resume. They are currently doing private ceremonies first and then they will do the group ceremonies sometime in August. They have said that they still haven't recieved any certificates yet from the Home office since March . They currently have 157 already waiting but they are not worried as they said marylebone town hall is quiet large and even with social distancing, they would still be able to book a good group in. They will contact me again once they receive my certificate as they said once I get it they should receive it too. So people who w ats to do private ceremonies take preference currently.

nnn15

Post by nnn15 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:25 am

Learning18 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:22 pm
nnn15 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:44 pm
ani_xxx wrote:

Hi,

My naturalisation application has been approved, however I haven't recieved my invitation letter as it was approved in June. Westminster contacted me today as I have filled a form on the website to be notified if services resume. They are currently doing private ceremonies first and then they will do the group ceremonies sometime in August. They have said that they still haven't recieved any certificates yet from the Home office since March . They currently have 157 already waiting but they are not worried as they said marylebone town hall is quiet large and even with social distancing, they would still be able to book a good group in. They will contact me again once they receive my certificate as they said once I get it they should receive it too. So people who w ats to do private ceremonies take preference currently.
Thanks for this information! That's good news that they plan to go ahead with private ceremonies at least. I also filled in a service resumption form at Westminster council website several weeks ago, but they haven't contacted me.

Emeliajayne88
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by Emeliajayne88 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:16 am

Hi guys. Just to let you know that I had to contact the home office about a change of address, which they confirmed. They also confirmed that my certificate hadn’t yet been printed or my invitation letter but this would happen in the next few weeks.

Emeliajayne88
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by Emeliajayne88 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:16 am

Hi guys. Just to let you know that I had to contact the home office about a change of address, which they confirmed. They also confirmed that my certificate hadn’t yet been printed or my invitation letter but this would happen in the next few weeks.

Sohail222
Pakistan

Post by Sohail222 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:51 am

Did you get your approval letter or email or they just confirm over the phone ?

Emeliajayne88
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by Emeliajayne88 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:56 am

I got my approval letter by email on the 16th of June.

Sohail222
Pakistan

Post by Sohail222 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:03 am

congratulations I’m still waiting applied through solicitor application online 24/2/2020 and biometric on the 27/2/2020 solicitor said because of Covid 19 every thing jam they are working from homes don’t know what’s happening

Sous49
Mood:

Post by Sous49 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:51 am

Emeliajayne88 wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:16 am
Hi Emeliajayne

Hope that you are ok and congratulation again for your approved application
May I kindly ask which email address have you used in this case.
I did get a reply from NationalitySupportTeamFMT@homeoffice.gov.uk on the 20 th of May advising that the applocation is approved .no letter has been received though
.thank you

Emeliajayne88
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by Emeliajayne88 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:07 pm

Thank you :). I wish I could celebrate...I'll only allow myself to celebrate once I've got the UK passport in my own hands!!

Citizenship.Support@homeoffice.gov.uk

Keep in mind, I emailed them like a month ago about the change in address, so don't expect a quick response!

Good luck!

Emelia

Sous49
Mood:

Post by Sous49 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:11 pm

Emeliajayne88 wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:07 pm
Thank you :). I wish I could celebrate...I'll only allow myself to celebrate once I've got the UK passport in my own hands!!

Keep in mind, I emailed them like a month ago about the change in address, so don't expect a quick response!

Good luck!

Emelia
Thanks Emelia .so true.i also feel the same :)

All the best

Sous49
Mood:

Post by Sous49 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:11 pm

Emeliajayne88 wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:07 pm

Good luck!

Emelia
Thanks Emelia .so true.i also feel the same :)

All the best

slavipg
Newly Registered
Bulgaria

Post by slavipg » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:55 pm

Hi everyone, i also sent an email to citizenshipsupport@ about 10 days ago, asked them to tell me little more about the invitation letter when I can expect it. This morning i got an answer that my certificate still not sent to council and through the next few weeks I can expect it. The delay is because of covid too.

Cocokrishan
Newly Registered
Mood:
Kenya

Post by Cocokrishan » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:51 am

I got this email from the homeoffice. My ceremony was supposed to be in March but it was cancelled.

Good morning,

I refer to your application for British Citizenship and your email enquiry.

You must normally book the ceremony within three months of being sent an invitation from the Home Office, however, due to the current circumstances we have extended this period to six months until 5th October 2020. We will keep this under constant review. No adverse decisions will be made on applications because of delays caused by Coronavirus (unless there is a material change in your circumstances, for example, you are convicted of a criminal offence).

Please check your local authority website for further information about Citizenship Ceremony bookings over coming weeks for the most up to date information in your local area.

Kind Regards