ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU settlement - Non EU family member - CoA and decision time

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Time to get the CoA or final decision as first time BRC applicant in new system

Poll ended at Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:30 pm

Within 2 weeks of biometrics appointment
41%
Within 1 month of biometrics appointment
23%
Within 3 months of biometrics appointment
4%
Have not received anything yet (2 weeks not up)
15%
Have not received anything for more than 3 months.
16%
Received after 3 months.
1%

Total votes: 93

Enka2018
Slovakia

Re: EU settlement - Non EU family member - CoA and decision time

Post by Enka2018 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:21 pm

Father-in-law submitted biometrics yesterdsy and today already received COA letter, that seems surprisingly fast

Enka2018
Slovakia

Post by Enka2018 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:24 pm

deeop wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:31 am
Non eu family member
Submitted pre settled 27/11/19
COA 28/11/19
No decision yet at this time of writing..what is all this , putting people in distress and unsettled mental state. Now my resident permit is about to expire and my employers has notified me. What should I do ..this is not fair at all. What should I do...Any form of advice will be helpful. 😪😔
try to complain to MP

Post by 1878 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:43 pm

I’m an EEA national , married to non-EEA national with two kids. All of us had PR after living her for 9 years. Myself and two children received EU settled status within two weeks from applying back in January 2020. Applied for wife the day after, got COA after a few weeks, then silence. Lodged online complaint in July about processing time (6+ months plus for person with PR already, should be a no brainer as already ILR/settled), wife got settled status two weeks after I sent complaint.

If you have waited more than 5 months - my clear advice is to send online complaint and in my (and I’ve read others on the forum) experience, it speeds up the decision process exponentially.

Nina Roche
China

Post by Nina Roche » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:05 pm

1878 wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:43 pm
I’m an EEA national , married to non-EEA national with two kids. All of us had PR after living her for 9 years. Myself and two children received EU settled status within two weeks from applying back in January 2020. Applied for wife the day after, got COA after a few weeks, then silence. Lodged online complaint in July about processing time (6+ months plus for person with PR already, should be a no brainer as already ILR/settled), wife got settled status two weeks after I sent complaint.

If you have waited more than 5 months - my clear advice is to send online complaint and in my (and I’ve read others on the forum) experience, it speeds up the decision process exponentially.
Thank you for sharing your experience!
This might be helpful to many people who whould know what to do by then!

Chatonkate
Newly Registered
Russia

Post by Chatonkate » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:59 pm

Hello.

I am non-EU spouse of British national, looking for pre-settled status (first time application for residency in the UK). Before our move to the UK we lived for more than 3 years in Ireland, so we are eligible to ‘Surinder Singh’ application.

My timeline is as follows:

Submitted paper application on 15th January 2020
Biometrics provided on 25th January 2020
CoA received on 29th January 2020
Current status - waiting

Since I received CoA I have called several times to Resolution centre and the replies were always "the application is in process, please wait". In June emailed to our local MP asking for help, he asked about my application to Home Office and the reply in summary was the same "the application is in process, please wait". On 10th of July I sent a complaint about the long decision making process to the Home Office through their online form and I am still waiting for the response (they should answer to the complains during 20 working days).

My biggest concern as a Non-Eu citizen and as a first time applicant is that I could not leave the UK during this long-going decision making process. My EEA family permit was valid for 6 months and it has expired already. I have been in touch with Immigration Department and I was told that there is no other visa, which I could apply while I am in the UK. They also advised that I could leave the UK, if I wish, and go to my home country, then in order to return back I will need to apply for a new EEA family permit, but it will cancel my current residence permit application and I will have to start the whole process again upon my return to the UK.

I find this situation first of all absolutely frustrating as there is no processing times known (even approximately), so it means that I am not able to visit my family or friends at home, which would be especially important after long months of lockdown and now, when the flights are resuming. On top of that without valid residence permit I could not even get any bank services in the UK - like open a local bank account or get a credit card.

I would be grateful if someone in similar situation as a first time applicant will share their story and advise about their timeline for ‘Surinder Singh’ application.

I also would like to ask what is the source of information about the 6 months validity of CoA (as none of the validity dates are written in my CoA).

Thank you everyone for the information provided and experience sharing in this forum. It really helps to keep hope that one day everyone will get a favourable decisions to their applications.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:50 pm

Chatonkate wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:59 pm
Hello.

I am non-EU spouse of British national, looking for pre-settled status (first time application for residency in the UK). Before our move to the UK we lived for more than 3 years in Ireland, so we are eligible to ‘Surinder Singh’ application.

My timeline is as follows:

Submitted paper application on 15th January 2020
Biometrics provided on 25th January 2020
CoA received on 29th January 2020
Current status - waiting

Since I received CoA I have called several times to Resolution centre and the replies were always "the application is in process, please wait". In June emailed to our local MP asking for help, he asked about my application to Home Office and the reply in summary was the same "the application is in process, please wait". On 10th of July I sent a complaint about the long decision making process to the Home Office through their online form and I am still waiting for the response (they should answer to the complains during 20 working days).

My biggest concern as a Non-Eu citizen and as a first time applicant is that I could not leave the UK during this long-going decision making process. My EEA family permit was valid for 6 months and it has expired already. I have been in touch with Immigration Department and I was told that there is no other visa, which I could apply while I am in the UK. They also advised that I could leave the UK, if I wish, and go to my home country, then in order to return back I will need to apply for a new EEA family permit, but it will cancel my current residence permit application and I will have to start the whole process again upon my return to the UK.

I find this situation first of all absolutely frustrating as there is no processing times known (even approximately), so it means that I am not able to visit my family or friends at home, which would be especially important after long months of lockdown and now, when the flights are resuming. On top of that without valid residence permit I could not even get any bank services in the UK - like open a local bank account or get a credit card.

I would be grateful if someone in similar situation as a first time applicant will share their story and advise about their timeline for ‘Surinder Singh’ application.

I also would like to ask what is the source of information about the 6 months validity of CoA (as none of the validity dates are written in my CoA).

Thank you everyone for the information provided and experience sharing in this forum. It really helps to keep hope that one day everyone will get a favourable decisions to their applications.
This is not the correct topic for surinder Singh route applications. We have an existing topic for surinder Singh applications, link below, please post there.

https://www.immigrationboards.com/eea-r ... l#p1915773
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

texturelikesun
Newly Registered
Mood:
Russia

Post by texturelikesun » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:52 pm

Got my COA letter on the 2nd of April 2020
3.07.2020 a person from HO rang me and said there was a glitch in the system and for some reason I applied for settled status, although I have lived here for 1 year as an non-EU wife of an Irish citizen. She told me I would have received my pre-settled status in 2 weeks’ time. Still waiting for my pre-settled status :evil: I got my biometric residency card in November 2019, we’ve been married for 6 years but lived overseas. Anyway, they have all my documents and paperwork as I have applied for BRC before. What can possibly be that time consuming :evil:

Crystal2020
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by Crystal2020 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:46 pm

Has anyone who was unable to provide their passport due to circumstances beyond their control and submitted a paper application as a non eu family member got a decision yet ?

This is my situation and I have been waiting for over a year now 😪

eke123
Nigeria

Post by eke123 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:48 am

Hello guys
Please I honestly need your advice on this one
Does anyone have any idea if I can also apply for a Resident Card while waiting for the outcome of my EUSS?
This is taking too long and I seriously need to start work cos only God knows when they'll grant it.
I've never held a RC before and it seems that department processes applications faster.
I've seen someone that got refused on this platform in March and just got RC issued to in June.
So I'm thinking of also applying for RC to enable me start work.
I need advice please guys
God bless

Nasara1

Post by Nasara1 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:04 pm

Crystal2020 wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:46 pm
Has anyone who was unable to provide their passport due to circumstances beyond their control and submitted a paper application as a non eu family member got a decision yet ?

This is my situation and I have been waiting for over a year now 😪
Although I managed to eventually provide my estranged wife’s passport,the conversation I had with my case worker on the phone when I explained to her that I couldn’t provide it was of a support.She actually asked me to download the other documents and they will have a look at.She did however stressed that it wasn’t guaranteed.My application was done online.I want to believe if you can’t provide it that’s not the end of the journey.Good luck.

Nasara1

Post by Nasara1 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:06 pm

eke123 wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:48 am
Hello guys
Does anyone have any idea if I can also apply for a Resident Card while waiting for the outcome of my EU Settlement Scheme?
This is taking too long and I seriously need to start work cos only God knows when they'll grant it.
I've never held a RC before and it seems that department processes applications faster.
I've seen someone that got refused on this platform in March and just got RC issued to in June.
God bless
Stay strong. I guess they left ours to deal with all the EU nationals and straight forward cases.After a whole year they wrote to me twice in under a month.I believe the cases are moving forward now.

deeop
Newly Registered

Post by deeop » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:40 pm

Nasara1 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:06 pm
eke123 wrote:
Hello guys
Does anyone have any idea if I can also apply for a Resident Card while waiting for the outcome of my EU Settlement Scheme?
God bless
Stay strong. I guess they left ours to deal with all the EU nationals and straight forward cases.After a whole year they wrote to me twice in under a month.I believe the cases are moving forward now.
When did you submit your application?

eke123
Nigeria

Post by eke123 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:50 pm

deeop wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:40 pm
Nasara1 wrote:
eke123 wrote:
Hello guys
God bless
Thanks @ Nasara.
@ Deeop I submitted in January

deeop
Newly Registered

Post by deeop » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:49 am

eke123 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:50 pm
deeop wrote:
Nasara1 wrote:
eke123 wrote:
Hello guys
God bless
Thanks @ Nasara.
You can apply for that residence card but they will only issue you 1year validity permit and you will pay £65 for that application so it will be a short term thing. All permit issued under eu free movement will not be valid beyond transition period. The eu settlement scheme replace that but the pace of processing is very slow for non eu family members. I understand your frustration really well..You can apply for the residence permit but in the end you will need the eu settlement scheme on long term.

eke123
Nigeria

Post by eke123 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:01 am

deeop wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:49 am
eke123 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:50 pm
deeop wrote:
Nasara1 wrote:

Thanks @ Nasara.
You can apply for that residence card but they will only issue you 1year validity permit and you will pay £65 for that application so it will be a short term thing. All permit issued under eu free movement will not be valid beyond transition period. The eu settlement scheme replace that but the pace of processing is very slow for non eu family members. I understand your frustration really well..You can apply for the residence permit but in the end you will need the eu settlement scheme on long term.
Ok
Thank you so much @deeop

PRISCYOBI
Newly Registered

Post by PRISCYOBI » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:50 am

Stay strong. I guess they left ours to deal with all the EU nationals and straight forward cases.After a whole year they wrote to me twice in under a month.I believe the cases are moving forward

Hi N,
Please what did they say in their letters? Av been waiting for long now and after the COA was issued there has been no correspondence from them. I have called severally, same answer everytime and last week I lodge a complaint and until now, no response. It's really frustrating. 😡

Nasara1

Post by Nasara1 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:30 pm

deeop wrote:
Nasara1 wrote:
eke123 wrote:
Hello guys
God bless
July 2019

Nasara1

Post by Nasara1 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:39 pm

PRISCYOBI wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:50 am
Stay strong. I guess they left ours to deal with all the EU nationals and straight forward cases.After a whole year they wrote to me twice in under a month.I believe the cases are moving forward

Hi N,
Please what did they say in their letters? Av been waiting for long now and after the COA was issued there has been no correspondence from them. I have called severally, same answer everytime and last week I lodge a complaint and until now, no response. It's really frustrating. 😡
They wanted me to upload proof of residency and my estranged wife's passport.Which I did I'm still waiting.It's been one week already and I've not heard from them since.

PRISCYOBI
Newly Registered

Post by PRISCYOBI » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:56 am

Nasara1 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:39 pm
PRISCYOBI wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:50 am

Hi N,
They wanted me to upload proof of residency and my estranged wife's passport.Which I did I'm still waiting.It's been one week already and I've not heard from them since.
Hi N,
Thanks for your response. At least that's a step forward. It's good they are communicating, you will hear good news soon. Anytime I call them, they say" we dont need anything from you for now, you have submitted everything we need " and I keep wondering if you have everything you need, then what is keeping you from granting the settled status. I leave everything in God's hand. I pray we all hear good news soon.🙏

texturelikesun
Newly Registered
Mood:
Russia

Post by texturelikesun » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:55 pm

Hi, guys, where can I file a complaint? I’m done with this attitude

shay007

Post by shay007 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:01 pm

texturelikesun wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:55 pm
https://www.gov.uk/government/organisat ... -procedure

texturelikesun
Newly Registered
Mood:
Russia

Post by texturelikesun » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:41 pm

shay007 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:01 pm
texturelikesun wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:55 pm
https://www.gov.uk/government/organisat ... -procedure
Thanks a million !!

thezy
Newly Registered
Brazil

Post by thezy » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:54 pm

Nanateris wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:03 pm
My wife's timeline (non-eu national)

Applied: November 2019 - online application, uploaded our marriage certificate and council tax bills, linked her application to mine ( Eu national with settled status from May 2019)

Biometrics: one day after application

CoA: December 2019

After that:
1) numerous calls to Eu settlement scheme - only got generic responses (the case is with caseworker, keep eyes on email, it is in final stages)
2) contacted MP in June 2020 who also received only general reaponse from HO
3) July 2020 - logged online complain with HO about unreasonable delays - week after complaining to HO my spouse received pre-settlement via email

It took 8 months.
Everyone - good luck! :)
Dear Nanateris,

What has the HO answered about your complaint? I also raised a formal complaint directly with the HO, but they answered a week later that they "are unable to uphold my complaint" since it might take more than a month if "an applicant is non-EEA or non-Swiss citizen, who is applying based on a relationship which they have haven’t previously relied upon in any application to the Home Office". [I've been waiting for 6 months].

In the end, no actual new information was provided. I have also contacted my MP last week, so let's see if both of these actions together might speed up the process.

Thanks in advance for sharing your story.

Best wishes,
Thereza

Georges11
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Georges11 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:55 am

thezy wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:54 pm
Nanateris wrote:

Applied: November 2019 - online application, uploaded our marriage certificate and council tax bills, linked her application to mine ( Eu national with settled status from May 2019)

After that:
1) numerous calls to Eu settlement scheme - only got generic responses (the case is with caseworker, keep eyes on email, it is in final stages)
3) July 2020 - logged online complain with HO about unreasonable delays - week after complaining to HO my spouse received pre-settlement via email

It took 8 months.
Dear Nanateris,

What has the HO answered about your complaint? I also raised a formal complaint directly with the HO, but they answered a week later that they "are unable to uphold my complaint" since it might take more than a month if "an applicant is non-EEA or non-Swiss citizen, who is applying based on a relationship which they have haven’t previously relied upon in any application to the Home Office". [I've been waiting for 6 months].

In the end, no actual new information was provided. I have also contacted my MP last week, so let's see if both of these actions together might speed up the process.

Best wishes,
Thereza
Hello, I made a complaint to the HO 3 months ago and funnily enough they have replied with the same sentence as yours. “ I am unfortunately unable to uphold your complaint.
I have submitted my EUSS over over a year.
it’s absolutely ridiculous.

Nanateris
Newly Registered

Post by Nanateris » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:58 pm

thezy wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:54 pm
Nanateris wrote:

After that:

It took 8 months.
Dear Nanateris,

Best wishes,
Thereza
So we lodged the complain and after a week my wife received pre-settled status. A few days after that HO actually answered that they cannot uphold our complain :D However, I think that the combination of MP and HO complain made them speed things up.
Good luck! :)