ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Malikg123

Re: Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

Post by Malikg123 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:43 pm

Yes this email from Home office. You can expect anything dear. Only few people have received their invitation only couple I would say let’s wait and see.
Lopand wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:35 pm
Malikg123 wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:02 pm
Had another reply of my email.

Good afternoon,

Thank you for your email.
Although certain local authorities have started to commence some private ceremonies, our policy on individual certificates is they will not be printed and sent to local authorities.

Hopefully full citizenship ceremonies will commence shortly.
Is that an email from the Home Office? It's strange, because I thought that they started printing and sending new certificates recently.

Malikg123

Post by Malikg123 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:44 pm

You’re welcome brother I hope you will hear some positive news.
Sohail222 wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:21 pm
Thank you very much you are very helpful I will send them email and tell them I’m close to deadline 6 months and attached my letter to the email let’s see what they say hopefully something will update you thanks again you are star

BoyTed
Somalia

Post by BoyTed » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:00 pm

Hello Everyone,

This came straight from my Caseworker whom i wrote to last week and it touches the reasons and most important it's not the auto reply we all got from home office.

UK Visas and Immigration

The Capital Building

Liverpool

L3 9PP

Web       www.gov.uk/uk-visas-immigration

Dear Mr xxxxx

Thank you for contacting us regarding your citizenship ceremony.

We are currently working hard to issue ceremony invite letters to you and also to dispatch your naturalisation/registration certificate to the local authorities. However, please appreciate that we are still dealing with the significant backlog since lockdown commenced in March.

Due to the strict social distancing measures currently in place and to ensure the safety of our staff, regrettably, resources in our Ceremonies and Citizenship Support department are extremely limited, at present.

With regards to individual ceremonies, we are aware that some local authorities have already starting offering this service however it is up to each council as to whether or not they can carry out these with social distancing measures in place. Further to this, unless you have exceptional circumstances, we are unable to accommodate requests to expedite ceremony invites/despatch of certificates at present for the reasons given above.

Our ceremonies and citizenship support team will issue your ceremony invite letter as soon as possible. Upon receipt of the invitation letter, you can make the necessary arrangements with your local authority.

I fully appreciate that you attending your citizenship ceremony is the final part of the process and please be assured that we aim to resolve this situation as quickly as possible.  Regrettably, I am unable to provide a time frame as to when we will be able to despatch the required documentation.

Yours sincerely,

X. Xxxx

Jayrose17
South Africa

Post by Jayrose17 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:37 pm

Its auto reply pretty much. I got this e mail a week and half ago.

rozearo

Post by rozearo » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:49 pm

BoyTed wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:00 pm
Hello Everyone,

This came straight from my Caseworker whom i wrote to last week and it touches the reasons and most important it's not the auto reply we all got from home office.

Dear Mr xxxxx

Thank you for contacting us regarding your citizenship ceremony.

We are currently working hard to issue ceremony invite letters to you and also to dispatch your naturalisation/registration certificate to the local authorities. However, please appreciate that we are still dealing with the significant backlog since lockdown commenced in March.

Due to the strict social distancing measures currently in place and to ensure the safety of our staff, regrettably, resources in our Ceremonies and Citizenship Support department are extremely limited, at present.

With regards to individual ceremonies, we are aware that some local authorities have already starting offering this service however it is up to each council as to whether or not they can carry out these with social distancing measures in place. Further to this, unless you have exceptional circumstances, we are unable to accommodate requests to expedite ceremony invites/despatch of certificates at present for the reasons given above.

Our ceremonies and citizenship support team will issue your ceremony invite letter as soon as possible. Upon receipt of the invitation letter, you can make the necessary arrangements with your local authority.

I fully appreciate that you attending your citizenship ceremony is the final part of the process and please be assured that we aim to resolve this situation as quickly as possible. Regrettably, I am unable to provide a time frame as to when we will be able to despatch the required documentation.

Yours sincerely,
X. Xxxx
I can not really understand how printing certificates is still not an option till the moment.

Shopping centres and food courts are still open in Manchester and full of people despite the local lock down, but it is unsafe to held a private ceremonies or even print a document!

What is the rationale for creating a massive backlog of people waiting to to their ceremonies? My local council has got many slots for private ceremonies for the last 3 weeks, but I am worried now with the ongoing backlog and the unclear time frame of the HO, this will lead to more and more delay.

It is really frustrating to keep waiting for unknown!!!

Jayrose17
South Africa

Post by Jayrose17 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:57 am

Totally agreed. I am willing to pay extra for a private ceremony but an unable.
What bothers me is there was an error in processing my application and I was told to re do a step. I pointed out that under regulations this was not needed as it was valid. I then only got approval.
So my approval could have been much earlier as I applied in January.
Approved beginning June. So this has worked out to my detriment as I need to now wait even longer to get my invite to attend my ceremony.
Anyway I'm just hoping I get my invite sooner rather than later.
Chomping at the bit for sure.

jefoy22123
Newly Registered

Post by jefoy22123 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:22 am

Hi everyone,

I applied in April 2020 and got my approval email in July.

I'm aware I would need to wait a bit to get my ceremony invitation letter - however I'm going to move house at some point in September.

I'm still happy to have the ceremony at my current Council, but I was wondering if I should inform the HO of my change of address? If so, what would be the best way to do so?

Alternatively, I also thought I could set up a Royal Mail redirect? Not sure if anyone had any experience with the service before.

Many thanks.

Small

Post by Small » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:58 am

jefoy22123 wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:22 am
Hi everyone,

I'm aware I would need to wait a bit to get my ceremony invitation letter - however I'm going to move house at some point in September.

I'm still happy to have the ceremony at my current Council, but I was wondering if I should inform the HO of my change of address? If so, what would be the best way to do so?

Alternatively, I also thought I could set up a Royal Mail redirect? Not sure if anyone had any experience with the service before.

Many thanks.
Hi
Send an email to HO that you are moving in September. But if they have printed out your letter before September then keep the same address. Best not to change address as it may delay but look for alternative and keep intouch with the people who will be in your place when you leave in September.

hassanwaheed87
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by hassanwaheed87 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:41 pm

jefoy22123 wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:22 am
Hi everyone,

Many thanks.

You need to complete this form
https://visa-address-update.service.gov.uk/

I changed my address before decision on my citizenship application and then I received approval email. The letter attached to the email had my new address. I also got an email notification a couple of days after submitting the form that address has been updated.

You can also use redirect service if you can afford to.

Thanks
Hassan

skill9w
Newly Registered
Cyprus

Post by skill9w » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:19 pm

Can I ask, did anyone have their ceremony completed in Scotland? I live in Aberdeen and council is not holding any ceremonies at the moment. I had my application approved in May but nothing since then. I know we are under a renewed lockdown again in Aberdeen but just wondering if any other Scottish councils started any ceremonies.

Sohail222
Pakistan

Post by Sohail222 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:07 pm

Hi members is there anyone who waiting for there citizenship ceremony in Croydon?

Dorota01
Mood:

Post by Dorota01 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:14 pm

Yes, I am. I have contacted Croydon Council but those guys are still working from home (lol) and they have no idea when they will resume the ceremonies. They asked me to email Croydon Register Office to get more info but as far as she new, there are no updates at the moment. I have also no invitation letter from the Home Office. It looks like we are up for a long wait - this covid thing won't go away fast so I cannot see the light at the end of the tunnel at the moment. Unless they will start offering private or virtual ones. When I ask that lady from Croydon Council about the private ceremonies or the virtual ones - I almost could feel/see her looking at me as I just arrived from Mars.

Dorota01
Mood:

Post by Dorota01 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:21 pm

Hi, may I ask for your advice guys, please?
Can you provide me an email address that I could use to conatct Home Ofice about my invitation letter, please?
I got few of them from this forum but to be honest I am not sure which one to use:
I would really appreciat eyour help, please.
Thank you

Sohail222
Pakistan

Post by Sohail222 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:41 pm

But I have my invitation letter received dorota01 you are right Croydon council very slow not very proactive Merton Council has list on there website people certificate I wish I could have my ceremony there

Dorota01
Mood:

Post by Dorota01 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:43 pm

@Sohail222 - how did you receive your Invitation Letter: by email or post? Sorry for asking... and how long were you waiting to get the letter from your approval date?

Sohail222
Pakistan

Post by Sohail222 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:49 pm

I received my invitation letter from my solicitor who received on 5th August 2020 the invitation letter dated 24 March 2020

Dorota01
Mood:

Post by Dorota01 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:55 pm

@@Sohail222 - thank you for providing the info.. you were waiting for a long time then, perhaps they started printing them again as some members say. I got my approval only in the last month so I understand I have to be a bit more patient. Well, lets hope that Croydon Council will come up with the solution soon, I guess they have to! I will keep yu posted when I get any update about our council ;)

Sohail222
Pakistan

Post by Sohail222 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:06 am

Yah I think they start printing all invitations letter which was on hold my one dated 24 March 2020 I never received any other letter only this letter I think our council given green light finger cross maybe they making our ceremony venue Covid secure for us to have our ceremony done let’s see will update you please also tell me if you here anything thanks

Small

Post by Small » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:27 am

Dorota01 wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:21 pm
Can you provide me an email address that I could use to conatct Home Ofice about my invitation letter, please?
I got few of them from this forum but to be honest I am not sure which one to use:
Thank you
Hi I got reply from HO when I asked about to send invitation letter on behalf of my friend. The email I used is NationalitySupportTeamFMT@homeoffice.gov.uk Here is reply:

It is taking longer than usual to process applications because of coronavirus (COVID-19). This will not affect the decision. Extra time will be allowed to enrol biometrics, provide additional information and arrange a citizenship ceremony. Do not apply by post if you’ll need your documents back by a specific date.

Nationality team

I would suggest send your email to all of them using CC etc 🤞

TheTraveller
- thin ice -

Post by TheTraveller » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:44 pm

Dorota01 wrote:
Thank you
You should only contact citizenship.support if your application approved already. If your application still not finalised you may contact further Nationality enquires.

Good luck

U Aziz
Pakistan

Post by U Aziz » Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:07 pm

Any idea why they can’t send the invitation letters by email as they did it with the approvals?
It’s a really long wait considering paying a hefty amount for the application!

TheTraveller
- thin ice -

Post by TheTraveller » Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:20 pm

U Aziz wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:07 pm
Any idea why they can’t send the invitation letters by email as they did it with the approvals?
It’s a really long wait considering paying a hefty amount for the application!
You should receive the invitation by email!

Dorota01
Mood:

Post by Dorota01 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:09 pm

@Small - thank you for getting back to my question. I will try just that but I think the best sensible thing to do is just to wait...
Small wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:27 am
Dorota01 wrote:
Thank you
Hi I got reply from HO when I asked about to send invitation letter on behalf of my friend. The email I used is NationalitySupportTeamFMT@homeoffice.gov.uk Here is reply:

It is taking longer than usual to process applications because of coronavirus (COVID-19). This will not affect the decision. Extra time will be allowed to enrol biometrics, provide additional information and arrange a citizenship ceremony. Do not apply by post if you’ll need your documents back by a specific date.

Nationality team

I would suggest send your email to all of them using CC etc 🤞

Dorota01
Mood:

Post by Dorota01 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:11 pm

@TheTraveller - thank you for the suggestion, I will send them a quick and polite email asking for the update. I may be lucky to get something more than the usual generic answer.
TheTraveller wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:44 pm
Dorota01 wrote:
Thank you
You should only contact citizenship.support if your application approved already. If your application still not finalised you may contact further Nationality enquires.

Good luck

Small

Post by Small » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:27 pm

Guys I think it’s better to wait a bit. But surprisingly councils have not done anything, not proactive at all. But one of the councils in UK is doing well already. See the link how good it is:

https://www.merton.gov.uk/births-marria ... itizenship

I guess other councils will follow this way of resuming ceremonies.