ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Learning18

Re: Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

Post by Learning18 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:29 pm

mdiqbal wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:16 pm
Learning18 wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:37 pm
3rd of June approval, still waiting for invitation letter.
But, just seen that a person got approval on 5th August 2020, have already received his invitation letter!!
I know which is very strange and frustrating.

justaquery
Pakistan

Post by justaquery » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:50 pm

Do we know for sure whether that the citizenship invite ceremony letters are being sent in date order?

I got my citizenship approval on 23 Sep, I had submitted my application on 17 Aug with IDV photo submission on 7 Sep. However, I know there are people who submitted citizenship applications in June/July/Aug who are still waiting for a decision.

Similar to the application decisions, Is it possible that the citizenship invite letters are also being sent out of order?

nnn15

Post by nnn15 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:56 pm

Learning18 wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:29 pm
mdiqbal wrote:
Learning18 wrote:
But, just seen that a person got approval on 5th August 2020, have already received his invitation letter!!
April approval, still waiting for the ceremony invitation letter..

Learning18

Post by Learning18 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:11 pm

nnn15 wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:56 pm
Learning18 wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:29 pm
mdiqbal wrote:
Learning18 wrote:
April approval, still waiting for the ceremony invitation letter..
Oh nooo, that's really frustrating. Hope you receive your invitation letter this week, so you can finally celebrate 😁

blueskies89
Pakistan

Post by blueskies89 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:13 pm

Hi All,

I am thinking of travelling and will be away from UK for 2 months (during this time I am planning to stay in contact with council and find out if they have received my letter or not - as soon as they say they received my letter I will book a flight back to UK the next day). I got my approval in early September so I guess it will take some time for me to receive ceremony invitation.

Could someone (who received a ceremony invitation letter from HO/Council) tell me please what does the letter state in terms of in how many days/months should they must book and/or attend a citizenship ceremony.

(HO has extended ceremony time frame from 3 months to 6 months - I don't know how true is that in terms on implementation - would like to hear from someone who received a letter from HO/Council)

Many Thanks.
BlueSkies.

axeman85
Ghana

Post by axeman85 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:09 pm

31st July approval date and letter still waiting for ceremony letter and invite.. mcr council

mdiqbal

Post by mdiqbal » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:05 pm

justaquery wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:50 pm
Do we know for sure whether that the citizenship invite ceremony letters are being sent in date order?

I got my citizenship approval on 23 Sep, I had submitted my application on 17 Aug with IDV photo submission on 7 Sep. However, I know there are people who submitted citizenship applications in June/July/Aug who are still waiting for a decision.

Similar to the application decisions, Is it possible that the citizenship invite letters are also being sent out of order?
The fact of the matter is, whoever applied after the ease (after lockdown), they could get their decision within a month due to newly allocated caseworker and they will also have their invitation handy within two weeks of the approval. That was the trend of any citizenship decision. Hence, HO is trying to get back to their flows. Moreover, they're endeavouring to resolving the backlog. However, they're nearly there to clear up all piled up applications as may see that they've started to sending invitations last week for May.

Rusland
Spain

Post by Rusland » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:49 pm

Lopand wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:32 pm
This is a day of wonderful news - I FINALLY received my invitation letter!!!!! :D

Council: Barnet
Application date: 24 February
Biometrics: 16 March
Approval email: 29 May
Date on the invitation letter: 14 September

Thank you for your support. I hope you'll all get your invitation letters soon.

It's almost over...
Glad to hear that! So did I! When will you have the ceremony?

Raihanul
Mood:

Post by Raihanul » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:51 pm

I keep saying, hopefully this week and then the week passes by with no invitation :cry: :cry: :cry: (cry)

LiverpoolYNWA
Newly Registered

Post by LiverpoolYNWA » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:52 pm

justaquery wrote:

I'm speculating here but I think dispatching is based on where the council's are up to with their backlog.

So for example if a council is doing their ceremonies faster and more frequent, they'll get bigger and more frequent batches. Therefore, HO won't overwhelm the council's. I'm speculating here but I think this is the only possible theory that I can think of. This would explain why some councils have cleared their backlogs up to June, while some are still on March.

All the focus is on the HO but I think the real problem are the incompetent councils.

Runner12345
Newly Registered

Post by Runner12345 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:08 am

LiverpoolYNWA wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:52 pm
justaquery wrote:

I'm speculating here but I think dispatching is based on where the council's are up to with their backlog.

So for example if a council is doing their ceremonies faster and more frequent, they'll get bigger and more frequent batches. Therefore, HO won't overwhelm the council's. I'm speculating here but I think this is the only possible theory that I can think of. This would explain why some councils have cleared their backlogs up to June, while some are still on March.

All the focus is on the HO but I think the real problem are the incompetent councils.
I suspect it is a combination of the two frankly. We are stuck between a rock and a hard place...

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:23 am

It’s so frustrating stuck with all process in lockdown.
While I had to wait 10 weeks for Biometrics, people apply now can do them quite immediately and others here could do them immediately before as well.
That was already a huge wait.
Now being in another at 12 weeks + wait for ceremony, while people likely being approved end of October can book theirs also quite soon without any backlog!

I wish they would do something to shorten at least the wait for ceremonies and come up with something.

Gggg123
Newly Registered

Post by Gggg123 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:04 am

LiverpoolYNWA wrote:
justaquery wrote:

do not believe so , talked to my council and they confirmed the HO doesn't send certificate regularly and they have no visibility on when the next batch will be nor when people will be receiving their invites based on their approval date.

N1234

Post by N1234 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:26 am

Gggg123 wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:04 am
LiverpoolYNWA wrote:
justaquery wrote:

do not believe so , talked to my council and they confirmed the HO doesn't send certificate regularly and they have no visibility on when the next batch will be nor when people will be receiving their invites based on their approval date.
I believe they have 2 different batches, one for the back log where March- June are, but also second batch where it follows the normal timeline which started probably in late June or July. While they carry on as normal, they are also sending the back log. But it also varies on the council ability to clear the ceremony. Hence why the deferring timelines.

On side note the councils are killing me with the different rules on how they do the ceremony. Just got told they don’t private ceremony... they are holding 15 people ceremony instead, so they will give me a call next week smh. I am worried we might go into lockdown by then, considering university is starting next week and it seems like it’s seen like the virus is spreading faster.

justaquery
Pakistan

Post by justaquery » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:42 am

Just got the below response from Bristol council:

The delay is currently several months. The Home Office was closed during lockdown which has led to a backlog of citizenship cases. This may speed up now that ceremonies have resumed or it may slow down depending on any new covid-19 developments.

The Home Office have extended the deadlines to help accommodate these delays. The current certificates we are receiving have a 'use by' date of February '21.

Once you have your invitation letter from the Home Office and your certificate has arrived here, you can contact us to book a ceremony. We hold group ceremonies every other Thursday morning. The numbers have just been reduced to 15 people but generally we can accommodate you within a month. Alternatively, you can book a private ceremony for £140 which gives you more flexibility for days and times and often we have availability the week that we are contacted.

saaji93
India

Post by saaji93 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:46 am

Anatol wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:22 am
Unbelievable news from Newham
Just right now the postman brought me the brown envelope! Yes! the wait is over!
Applied 30/01/2020 approval email 20/05/2020 Invitation Letter received on 25/09 dated 08/09/2020!!!
Hence, received 25 Sep, group ceremony booked for 29 Sept!!!
Thank you, guys! This forum was of enormous help and support for all of us!
See you all later in Passport application threat :)))
XOXO from Newham
Hi Anatol

Did you book the citizenship ceremony via online or telephone ?
I can't able to get space until 27th Oct 20.

mdiqbal

Post by mdiqbal » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:06 pm

LiverpoolYNWA wrote:
justaquery wrote:

Hypothetically I agree with you...

Anatol
Newly Registered
Romania

Post by Anatol » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:39 pm

saaji93 wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:46 am
Anatol wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:22 am
Unbelievable news from Newham
Just right now the postman brought me the brown envelope! Yes! the wait is over!
Applied 30/01/2020 approval email 20/05/2020 Invitation Letter received on 25/09 dated 08/09/2020!!!
Hence, received 25 Sep, group ceremony booked for 29 Sept!!!
Thank you, guys! This forum was of enormous help and support for all of us!
See you all later in Passport application threat :)))
XOXO from Newham
Hi Anatol

Did you book the citizenship ceremony via online or telephone ?
I can't able to get space until 27th Oct 20.
Hi saaji93,
Yes, I have booked it online once the envelope was delivered, the postman literally was at the next door when I have booked my ceremony. I knew that the places are going to go fast, that's why the hurry.
I just checked out of curiosity what's the situation after few hours and yes, next appointments were in late October. When I was booking, there were plenty of slots though, and certainly I took the earliest. I gues do not be upset about this as they may contact you for an earlier occasion, people cancel etc...
Do not worry, at least you are one step closer

gbalague123
Newly Registered

Post by gbalague123 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:33 pm

Gioldn wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:52 am
gbalague123 wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:52 pm
I called yesterday to Wandsworth council
I was approved in May. They said no certificate for me yet
So more wait.... 🤦🏻‍♂️
I emailed Wandsworth too and haven’t received mine either..they told me I need to wait for invitation letter from HO. not sure 🤔 what to do . Do the 12 weeks start from the day of approval ?

quote=vicky000 post_id=1940668 time=1600970056 user_id=233488]
They gave me a slot on the phone and a few hours later sent me an confirmation email with an attachment, not sure if this is the invite letter you MEANT?
Gioldn wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:15 pm
vicky000 wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:16 pm
In Wandsworth council too. Got HO approval the end of August and just had ceremony in the town hall this week. I initially sent an email according to the council website guidance but got impatient waiting around since it already took 6 months to approve my citizenship. So I called the council and chased for a slot in the ceremony and they gave me a slot on the phone which was two days away.

So if you don't want to wait around, maybe try calling them, that might speed up the process.

Thank you . Had you received the invitation letter though? I haven’t yet..

[/quote]

So finally I got my invitation letter on Friday. Approval in May. Called wandsworth council to book ceremony....and surprise surprise....they haven’t received my certificate yet....and told me to carry on waiting....this is a joke

user5877
Poland

Post by user5877 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:56 pm

I was approved last week of May '20 and still waiting for my letter. Contacted my council (Northern Ireland) this morning and was informed ceremonies resumed and they have already had 2 done recently.

Happy to see 'May' people receiving their letters, hopefully I will get one soon as well.

apostrophe
Newly Registered
Poland

Post by apostrophe » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:08 pm

Got my invitation letter today too! Approved in May, the date on the letter is September 10. So happy, I can finally book my ceremony (my council emailed me today too, confirming receipt of my certificate). Good luck everyone, they are definitely working on this backlog.

Waitingagain
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by Waitingagain » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:19 pm

Wandsworth is starting to make it really difficult now. I applied in April, approved in August, and on email, they’ve been fairly nice. But when you call them, there are some really rude people. One told me today that ‘clearly Covid is more important than your citizenship’. Ok then...even though I agree, that’s not the point is it.
Anyway, the number I phone always goes straight through to the general call centre.
The wait is starting to really get to me now...and I somehow just can’t see how a council can not get through their backlog. Wandsworth had 2,000 ceremonies last year, let’s assume a bit less this year with people delaying their application, 6 months of Covid, it’s max 1,000 people that need to do this.
They opened up start of August, 15 people every week. That means only 135 people have been processed since they restarted. It’s an absolute mess, an absolutely disgusting mess...if they were processing 40 per week on average last year, it means the backlog is growing by 25 every week.
Anyway, rant over, for now, will have another 6-12 months to complain I guess. I guess none of us are really British if we can’t queue properly...

gbalague123 wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:33 pm
Gioldn wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:52 am
gbalague123 wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:52 pm
I called yesterday to Wandsworth council
I was approved in May. They said no certificate for me yet
So more wait.... 🤦🏻‍♂️
I emailed Wandsworth too and haven’t received mine either..they told me I need to wait for invitation letter from HO. not sure 🤔 what to do . Do the 12 weeks start from the day of approval ?

quote=vicky000 post_id=1940668 time=1600970056 user_id=233488]
They gave me a slot on the phone and a few hours later sent me an confirmation email with an attachment, not sure if this is the invite letter you MEANT?
Gioldn wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:15 pm
So finally I got my invitation letter on Friday. Approval in May. Called wandsworth council to book ceremony....and surprise surprise....they haven’t received my certificate yet....and told me to carry on waiting....this is a joke
[/quote]

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:08 pm

apostrophe wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:08 pm
Got my invitation letter today too! Approved in May, the date on the letter is September 10. So happy, I can finally book my ceremony (my council emailed me today too, confirming receipt of my certificate). Good luck everyone, they are definitely working on this backlog.
Congratulations! I’m really happy for you and totally understand your happiness. But I clearly don’t agree on the part “they are definitely working on that”.
To get by now only until May is actually poor considering we’re talking of 3 minute ceremonies and many do virtual ceremonies. They could catch up by now in my opinion.

Parisiana

Post by Parisiana » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:39 pm

apostrophe wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:08 pm
Can you please post the name of your council? Did you find any early availabilities for the ceremony? Thank you

blueskies89
Pakistan

Post by blueskies89 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:10 pm

General Update on Leeds City Council.
I called Leeds City Council today and I must say the lady on the phone was very polite and very helpful. She said the council is conducting ceremonies in small groups of 10 every other week and they are receiving certificates mostly for people who got approvals early this year but occasionally they also receive certificates for more recent approvals as well.

Things are progressing in the right direction. I hope we don’t go into another lockdown which will make things difficult for everyone.