ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

TheTraveller
- thin ice -

Re: Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

Post by TheTraveller » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:32 pm

Jil20 wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:29 pm
TheTraveller wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:39 pm
Is there anyone received the ceremony invitation from July approvals ?
Hi,

Unfortunatly I haven't received anything. My approval was on 7th July. I hope to get an invitation in November. It is so anoying. I don't undestand why they can't to send those invitations by email for online applications at last.
What council is that? Try to give a call now to your local council

Jil20
Newly Registered

Post by Jil20 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:40 pm

TheTraveller wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:32 pm
Jil20 wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:29 pm
TheTraveller wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:39 pm
Is there anyone received the ceremony invitation from July approvals ?
Hi,

Unfortunatly I haven't received anything. My approval was on 7th July. I hope to get an invitation in November. It is so anoying. I don't undestand why they can't to send those invitations by email for online applications at last.
What council is that? Try to give a call now to your local council
Oxfordshire County council

Cost Manager

Post by Cost Manager » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:42 pm

I’m sorry you haven’t received your invitation letter from the Home Office yet (you’ll receive it, not us – they’ll invite you to book a ceremony).

The latest we heard from the Home Office was that the last of the certificates with July approval would be sent out at the end of this week, so we should receive those early next week, including yours. If this happens, you will receive your invitation letter a couple of days later, and you should be able to book your ceremony online straight away. But they haven’t been very accurate with their predictions up to now. So please be patient – even if you don’t receive your letter next week, look out for it 1 week later. I do hope it comes soon.

We look forward to seeing you soon for your ceremony.

Kind regards

Bulgaria

Post by 024601 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:04 pm

I got impatient so I emailed citizenship.support@homeoffice.gov.uk today, I'm not waiting until tomorrow because I highly doubt anything would arrive tomorrow.

My local council is now ignoring me but I suppose I annoyed them a little bit with my daily emailing. I would have expected they would instantly tell me that my certificate is here if it was, just to get rid of me :D

My MP has gone quiet, I'm guessing he's busy with other things but the least I was expecting was for him to say "sorry, I 've got no more information" and I would have left him at peace!

To be honest, I don't even care about the ceremony itself anymore, I just want the certificate so I can apply for a passport. I have literally put my life on pause waiting for this passport! Pre-Covid a friend of mine applied in June, got his certificate in August! I can fully understand we are in a pandemic but considering how much money we've paid and that we are in a digital era, I can't believe we are sat waiting for a letter like it's 1966. As soon as Covid hit again (the second wave), they should have just had all ceremonies online. That way they can have thousands of people have their ceremonies within a couple of days and backlog would disappear!

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:18 pm

So receiving invitations on 30 October was misleading information. I feel disappointed.

rayyfar

Post by rayyfar » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:03 pm

Frou01 wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:18 pm
So receiving invitations on 30 October was misleading information. I feel disappointed.
I feel the same upon further enquiry I also realised I haven't received any post in the last 4 days.
so out of curiosity, I called royal mail and they confirmed they have issues with mail delivery in my area since Monday and postman is coming far less. and didn't give any information on when to expect my mail .... this just added to my frustration tbh.
I will go to my local post office to ask when to expect my mail...

baybars1

Post by baybars1 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:13 pm

Frou01 wrote:
Another problem is a significant variation in wait times. Some approved in May are still awaiting their invitation letters while some approved in mid-July have booked and/or attended their ceremonies already (and by that I mean true July approvals, not those approved before the Lockdown whose approval communication had been delayed).

CheshireKnight
Newly Registered
Brazil

Post by CheshireKnight » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:56 pm

Hello Everyone

Anyone from Crewe, East Cheshire council?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:03 pm

rayyfar wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:03 pm
I will go to my local post office to ask when to expect my mail...
Check your local Royal Mail delivery office, not the local Post Office.

The Post Office and Royal Mail were split into two separate organisations a few years ago by the Conservatives. Royal Mail is responsible for delivery of mail.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

raij
Poland

Post by raij » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:05 pm

baybars1 wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:13 pm
Frou01 wrote:
Another problem is a significant variation in wait times. Some approved in May are still awaiting their invitation letters while some approved in mid-July have booked and/or attended their ceremonies already (and by that I mean true July approvals, not those approved before the Lockdown whose approval communication had been delayed).
agreed - it all feels messed up wait timing wise , as i said many times start of june approval and still waiting ( i think i comment my waiting time to vent my nerves :wink:

Jil20
Newly Registered

Post by Jil20 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:26 pm

024601 wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:04 pm
I got impatient so I emailed citizenship.support@homeoffice.gov.uk today, I'm not waiting until tomorrow because I highly doubt anything would arrive tomorrow.

My local council is now ignoring me but I suppose I annoyed them a little bit with my daily emailing. I would have expected they would instantly tell me that my certificate is here if it was, just to get rid of me :D

My MP has gone quiet, I'm guessing he's busy with other things but the least I was expecting was for him to say "sorry, I 've got no more information" and I would have left him at peace!

To be honest, I don't even care about the ceremony itself anymore, I just want the certificate so I can apply for a passport. I have literally put my life on pause waiting for this passport! Pre-Covid a friend of mine applied in June, got his certificate in August! I can fully understand we are in a pandemic but considering how much money we've paid and that we are in a digital era, I can't believe we are sat waiting for a letter like it's 1966. As soon as Covid hit again (the second wave), they should have just had all ceremonies online. That way they can have thousands of people have their ceremonies within a couple of days and backlog would disappear!
I absolutely agree with you. Considering how much money we paid, they could think of something to simplify the process of obtaining citizenship for example email invitations instead of written ones if they can't print paper ones on time.

Padus
Newly Registered

Post by Padus » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:36 pm

Don't despair guys, this frustrating journey is nearly over. Today I received the council invitation by post (Rochdale). Ceremony on 11 Nov. They must have received my certificate this week.
Just waiting for H/O invitation now, and I'm sure it will arrive by end of next week.
Let's just be a little more patient.

Online application: 20/03/2020
Biometrics: 24/03/2020
Email Approval: 14/07/2020
Council Invitation letter: 30/10/2020
H/O invitation letter: Loading..

razaaslam2002
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by razaaslam2002 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:06 pm

ASRC wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:21 pm
Anyone waiting for a ceremony in West Sussex?
Approved in mid september, when was ur approval datę.

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:07 pm

baybars1 wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:13 pm
Frou01 wrote:
That’s right and I was thinking about this too seeing people from original mid July approvals having booked ceremonies and there are in fact mid May approvals still in the dark about what is going on.

I’m sincerely glad for everyone who has booked their ceremony - as everyone has had a long wait at this point.
But when HO justifies our long waiting times with the fact they’re working off the backlog in strict order, then this is very surprising and disappointing.

I was seriously expecting a lot, even when not all, getting an invitation today and a lot more tomorrow.

But I don’t believe that suddenly tomorrow 1000s of waiting approvals receiving the long awaited envelope.

I rather see 1000s of people calling the help line on Monday and getting a new update like “end November...” or something.

I’m sorry, but I feel we’re still kept in the dark...

Though I hope good news for all of us proving me being wrong!

Soo123
Pakistan

Post by Soo123 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:37 pm

Hi All

I called Hillingdon Council no joy for me yet however they have revived a big batch which needs to be lodged into the system I hope they have my certificate.

Fingers crossed 🤞

mamin1982
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by mamin1982 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:52 am

baybars1 wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:03 am
mamin1982 wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:56 am
Hello

My application was approved on 3rd June, Received Invitation on 30 Sep (Date on invitation letter is 17 Sept). Its now one month since letter was printed but my council has not yet received my Citizenship certificate. can anyone please guide me what should i do now?

Regards
That's a long delay. Maybe there is a genuine glitch that caused them to skip your certificate in the queue. Try asking your council to raise the issue with Citizenship Ceremonies Support Team of the Nationality Group within the Home Office, write to them yourself, or both.
I received invitation on 30 sept dated 17 sept but still my certificate not received by Council. I contacted Home Office on Phone more then two weeks ago they told me to send letter on the address on my invitation. I sent them a letter next day but no reply yet. I sent them an email on citizenship support two weeks ago but still waiting to hear some good news.

CheshireKnight
Newly Registered
Brazil

Post by CheshireKnight » Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:11 am

I think the whole thing is running out of control and mismanaged big time.

Not sure how would the HO would clear the backlog abd at the same time expecting a complete lockdown to be announced next Monday.

ASRC
Newly Registered

Post by ASRC » Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:41 am

razaaslam2002 wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:06 pm
ASRC wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:21 pm
Anyone waiting for a ceremony in West Sussex?
Approved in mid september, when was ur approval datę.
9th September approval. Awaiting for invitation!

axeman85
Ghana

Post by axeman85 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:56 am

CheshireKnight wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:11 am
I think the whole thing is running out of control and mismanaged big time.

Not sure how would the HO would clear the backlog abd at the same time expecting a complete lockdown to be announced next Monday.

Well thr national lockdown might be specific to certain part of the economy like barring household from mixing, closure of none essential shops etc... but I believe civil servant, passport offices, royalmail,council are all essential offices so they should remain open.

I dint think the national lockdown will be same as before that the while economy including airspace etc was shut down..

Bulgaria

Post by 024601 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:57 am

Well with a new national lockdown, the HO will have a different thing to blame now. Before they were blaming the old lockdown, now they will be blaming the new lockdown. The new lockdown will probably cause a new backlog which will be cleared in 2028 probably!

Even if they only shut the non-essential shops, bars, cinemas etc, the public servants will work from home and there would be a significant delay once more :x

I have lost hope to get my citizenship sorted by the end of the year. Surely they should offer some kind of compensation for this appalling lack of information and huge delay which could have been avoided if they made online ceremonies mandatory or sent the certificates in the post without the ceremony for the time being. If not compensation, then they should offer some accelerated procedure for people like us who are in the "old" backlog.

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:04 am

024601 wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:57 am
Well with a new national lockdown, the HO will have a different thing to blame now. Before they were blaming the old lockdown, now they will be blaming the new lockdown. The new lockdown will probably cause a new backlog which will be cleared in 2028 probably!

Even if they only shut the non-essential shops, bars, cinemas etc, the public servants will work from home and there would be a significant delay once more :x

I have lost hope to get my citizenship sorted by the end of the year. Surely they should offer some kind of compensation for this appalling lack of information and huge delay which could have been avoided if they made online ceremonies mandatory or sent the certificates in the post without the ceremony for the time being. If not compensation, then they should offer some accelerated procedure for people like us who are in the "old" backlog.

Maybe some people will take it to court having letters stated the maximum wait after approval is 8-12 weeks.

mdiqbal

Post by mdiqbal » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:24 am

Dear all friends,
I had researched a lot by taking opportunities to friends-circle, HO and council. They have already sent a large amount certificates and haven't put on the system yet. You are going to know on Monday. Please do call your local council and you would be surprised, I feel. Some might get the invitation letter today. The only problem is, some councils don't allow without invitation letter. The question will be remained same that when we are getting invitation letter. The HO has truly sent maximum certificates up-to 7/08/20, except some May, June and even January due to their systematic errors and you need to contact definitely with HO for that. Hence, be happy for Monday news, dear.

mdiqbal

Post by mdiqbal » Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:03 am

mdiqbal wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:24 am
Dear all friends,
I had researched a lot by taking opportunities to friends-circle, HO and council. They have already sent a large amount certificates and haven't put on the system yet. You are going to know on Monday. Please do call your local council and you would be surprised, I feel. Some might get the invitation letter today. The only problem is, some councils don't allow without invitation letter. The question will be remained same that when we are getting invitation letter. The HO has truly sent maximum certificates up-to 7/08/20, except some May, June and even January due to their systematic errors and you need to contact definitely with HO for that. Hence, be happy for Monday news, dear.

Additionally, I found that people who was approved on 26/07/2020, they received their certificate, yesterday one of my closest one got to know that his certificate was arrived to the council, he was approved on 14/07/2020 and from central London. I'm trying to calm you down and providing you a big hope. However, just worried about coming national lockdown announcement from Monday!!

Bulgaria

Post by 024601 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:22 am

mdiqbal wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:03 am
mdiqbal wrote:
Dear all friends,

Additionally, I found that people who was approved on 26/07/2020, they received their certificate, yesterday one of my closest one got to know that his certificate was arrived to the council, he was approved on 14/07/2020 and from central London. I'm trying to calm you down and providing you a big hope. However, just worried about coming national lockdown announcement from Monday!!
Thank you for trying to offer support to all of us!

Just a quick update, postman's just been and I've got nothing.

Nat23
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by Nat23 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:39 am

mdiqbal wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:03 am
mdiqbal wrote:
Dear all friends,

Thank you all for making us hopeful but I was approved on 31st of July and confirmed with the council on Friday that they still haven’t received my certificate, that was not what I was expecting 😔
On 31st of July, HO actually replied to my email about application update, it wasn’t an approval that they sent without me contacting them so I think that made the difference. Or it might be that I’m overthinking. Let’s wait for the next week.

I have to travel for compassionate reasons, otherwise I wouldn’t have bothered whenever the invite comes. And if it doesn’t come by the end of November, I’m going to proceed with travelling. Really disappointed with the way they handled things, not responding to people in need. ☹️