ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Helen123

Re: Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

Post by Helen123 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:54 am

Hi @Frou01?

I was approved in September for Birmingham but haven’t received my invitation letter. Who do you ring to ask about your certificate? I hope you hear back from the registry office soon!

Thank you so much!

nnn15

Post by nnn15 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:11 am

Dorota01 wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:39 pm
I wonder if anyone has received a reply from citizenship.support@homeoffice.gov.uk?
I have emailed the above regarding my invitation letter three times in the last 3 months and still no reply.
In the current set up or the Home Office attitudes as you like, there is no way to find out if my certificate has been already printed or when will I get the invitation letter.
There is also no way to talk to anyone at the HO who can provide you any real update at all.
Yeah... and then on the other side, you have Croydon Council doing what they do best – happily following those so-called "national restrictions" and closing everything up. No common sense, no solution, comfortable being stuck in "stone age" bubble. Just Great! Covid - I am sick of this word.
I received a response, but it took them more than 3 months (I'm waiting since April and first emailed them in July). The response just said they forwarded my enquiry to the "relevant department" and I have no idea how long it will take to confirm the status of my application.

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:15 am

Helen123 wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:54 am
Hi @Frou01?

I was approved in September for Birmingham but haven’t received my invitation letter. Who do you ring to ask about your certificate? I hope you hear back from the registry office soon!

Thank you so much!
Hi Helen!

They don’t answer calls.
I email them: Citizenship.Ceremonies@birmingham.gov.uk

Cost Manager

Post by Cost Manager » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:16 am

I called Westminster Registry yesterday one more time. Again receptionist had no clue, he said no one was in the office today. Last week I have been told that they expect to receive a big batch on Monday. As soon as lockdown announced over the weekend,they stopped coming to office and put the approvals in the system I guess. Big Councils are complete failure. I wish I would pick some rural council dealing with fewer citizenship applications.
27th of July Approval, still waiting for the the invitation

Helen123

Post by Helen123 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:17 am

Frou01 wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:15 am
Helen123 wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:54 am
Hi @Frou01?

Thank you so much!
Hi Helen!

They don’t answer calls.
I email them: Citizenship.Ceremonies@birmingham.gov.uk
That’s great! Thank you!

Cocobana

Post by Cocobana » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:19 am

I read the legislation for the lockdown and Reg 11(4) Exception 3 is that the person concerned is fulfilling a legal obligation or participating in legal proceedings- https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/202 ... paign=post

Means citizenship ceremony can continue.

Citizenship ceremony is a legal obligation! So all the local authorities who have suspended the ceremony without further instructions from the government are just pure ignorant.
I am going to write my council and insist on making a complaint if they shut down citizenship ceremony.
If council can perform the ceremony in person they should be able to conduct private and/or virtual ceremony but to suspend it, is not acceptable.

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:21 am

Cocobana wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:19 am
I read the legislation for the lockdown and Reg 11(4) Exception 3 is that the person concerned is fulfilling a legal obligation or participating in legal proceedings- https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/202 ... paign=post

Means citizenship ceremony can continue.

Citizenship ceremony is a legal obligation! So all the local authorities who have suspended the ceremony without further instructions from the government are just pure ignorant.
I am going to write my council and insist on making a complaint if they shut down citizenship ceremony.
If council can perform the ceremony in person they should be able to conduct private and/or virtual ceremony but to suspend it, is not acceptable.
Thank you for this.

I couldn’t agree more.

The link for formal complaints is a few posts above.

Parisiana

Post by Parisiana » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:25 am

Cost Manager wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:16 am
I called Westminster Registry yesterday one more time. Again receptionist had no clue, he said no one was in the office today. Last week I have been told that they expect to receive a big batch on Monday. As soon as lockdown announced over the weekend,they stopped coming to office and put the approvals in the system I guess. Big Councils are complete failure. I wish I would pick some rural council dealing with fewer citizenship applications.
It's still possible to book ceremonies online on their website but I guess it won't help if they stopped coming to office and processing certificates... They should at least keep shadow staff to make sure nothing gets lost / delayed during this period. I wonder how they will deal with the backlog post lockdown given UKVCAS and UKVI are still running full speed.

Cost Manager

Post by Cost Manager » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:37 am

Parisiana wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:25 am
Cost Manager wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:16 am
It's still possible to book ceremonies online on their website but I guess it won't help if they stopped coming to office and processing certificates... They should at least keep shadow staff to make sure nothing gets lost / delayed during this period. I wonder how they will deal with the backlog post lockdown given UKVCAS and UKVI are still running full speed.
Yes it is still possible however it is possible as long as they feed the system with the new approval which they currently don't do. As they think lock down kicked in and no ceremonies anyway so no rush.

baybars1

Post by baybars1 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:06 am

Frou01 wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:04 am
Also I’m very disappointed to see HO is NOT sending certificates in strict order.
Some people still waiting from May and June and a majority for July, pretty much everyone for August, but September approvals have their certificates send to their councils already?
That’s not ok (as much as I understand that’s good news for the individual as also them have had a two months wait at that stage) and doesn’t make a fair and professional impression.
It is not clear that these September approvals, they may have learned about their approvals in September, but the date when their approval was communicated is not necessarily the date when the decision was made.

For example, I have noticed that people who were told about their approval in September and whose certificates have already arrived would have applied well before the lockdown whereas most September approvals are those who applied between June and August this year.

Now, given that that the communication of the approval decision separately from the ceremony invitation is a recent addition to the process, there is a good chance that many people who learned about their approvals in September had actually been approved way earlier, but the Home Office hadn't got round to informing them.

Tamera
Newly Registered

Post by Tamera » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:27 am

baybars1 wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:06 am
Frou01 wrote:
Also I’m very disappointed to see HO is NOT sending certificates in strict order.
Some people still waiting from May and June and a majority for July, pretty much everyone for August, but September approvals have their certificates send to their councils already?
That’s not ok (as much as I understand that’s good news for the individual as also them have had a two months wait at that stage) and doesn’t make a fair and professional impression.
It is not clear that these September approvals, they may have learned about their approvals in September, but the date when their approval was communicated is not necessarily the date when the decision was made.

For example, I have noticed that people who were told about their approval in September and whose certificates have already arrived would have applied well before the lockdown whereas most September approvals are those who applied between June and August this year.

Now, given that that the communication of the approval decision separately from the ceremony invitation is a recent addition to the process, there is a good chance that many people who learned about their approvals in September had actually been approved way earlier, but the Home Office hadn't got round to informing them.
Hi Baybars1,

I think you are right, as I applied for BC in March, and got approval in Sep. My certificate has arrived at Maidstone council, but no ceremony conducted during lockdown.

Thank you again for your time, help and support for all of us here.

Cheers,

Tamera

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:36 am

baybars1 wrote:
Frou01 wrote:

In this case yes, their biometrics date was in July just.

Learning20
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Learning20 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:45 am

Cost Manager wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:14 pm
Learning20 wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:59 pm
Great news :D
I just recieved an email from my council saying the finally got my certificate and booked me in for wenesday morning.
Just as I was about to loose hope after a year of waiting. I am finally relieved this journey is over and done with soon.

To the guy bay (sorry cannot remember the rest of your name) I just want to thank you for helping us all through the hard time H.O has/ are given us. Your predicted timeline is accurate. Also for all the other people posting as well. Thank you all for your support.
Its important to stay positive what is meant for you will come your way the right time.
I hope you all hear great news soon🤲🤲🤲🤲
What is your approval date?
I was approved 17july

Szrsrts
Mood:

Post by Szrsrts » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:05 am

Tamera wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:27 am
baybars1 wrote:
Frou01 wrote:

Hi Baybars1,

I think you are right, as I applied for BC in March, and got approval in Sep. My certificate has arrived at Maidstone council, but no ceremony conducted during lockdown.

Cheers,

Tamera
Did you get any updates from Maidstone Council? I was approved in early August. Thank you

Dorota01
Mood:

Post by Dorota01 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:10 am

nnn15 wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:11 am
Dorota01 wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:39 pm
I wonder if anyone has received a reply from citizenship.support@homeoffice.gov.uk?
I have emailed the above regarding my invitation letter three times in the last 3 months and still no reply.
In the current set up or the Home Office attitudes as you like, there is no way to find out if my certificate has been already printed or when will I get the invitation letter.
There is also no way to talk to anyone at the HO who can provide you any real update at all.
Yeah... and then on the other side, you have Croydon Council doing what they do best – happily following those so-called "national restrictions" and closing everything up. No common sense, no solution, comfortable being stuck in "stone age" bubble. Just Great! Covid - I am sick of this word.
I received a response, but it took them more than 3 months (I'm waiting since April and first emailed them in July). The response just said they forwarded my enquiry to the "relevant department" and I have no idea how long it will take to confirm the status of my application.
Thank you @nnn15

MannyWarrior
Mood:

Post by MannyWarrior » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:25 am

I have sent another email to Manchester this morning for them to confirm my certificate arrival (Approval 7 July). It's not just my certificate, it's my whole family where we all got approved at once. I really hope they have received them for extra reassurance that's all.

Goodluck to everyone out there and I hope guidance from government is out soon so the registrars can remain open.

nnn15

Post by nnn15 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:34 am

Westminster council updated their website this morning - "We are not currently taking bookings for citizen ceremonies due to the national restrictions. We will provide more information as soon as it becomes available".

Hopefully there is a chance that private ceremonies will be allowed..
In case all in-person ceremonies are suspended there should be a way to do virtual ceremonies as the government stated they introduced it in July.

Cost Manager

Post by Cost Manager » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:48 am

nnn15 wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:34 am
Westminster council updated their website this morning - "We are not currently taking bookings for citizen ceremonies due to the national restrictions. We will provide more information as soon as it becomes available".

In case all in-person ceremonies are suspended there should be a way to do virtual ceremonies as the government stated they introduced it in July.
Westmister is the most archaic council ever. They will never do virtual ceremonies. They even stopped coming office this week as soon as they heard about national restrictions.

Tamera
Newly Registered

Post by Tamera » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:57 am

Szrsrts wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:05 am
Tamera wrote:
baybars1 wrote:
Frou01 wrote:

Hi Baybars1,

Cheers,

Tamera
Did you get any updates from Maidstone Council? I was approved in early August. Thank you
I just posted an update abt it. Basically, the council will not conduct any ceremonies during lockdown. If you have not yet received yours, you may want to try to phone them now as I just phoned and spoke to a very nice lady at 9:45am this morning. She went through the list to check whether my name was there. Mine was received a week ago. Good luck.

Gonzo14
Newly Registered

Post by Gonzo14 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:00 pm

Gonzo14 wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:03 am
Hi all

For those awaiting citizenship ceremony from Barnsley council I spoke to them and they said that they are conducting ceremonies on an individual basis and allowed 1 guest . They have been receiving certificates regularly from the home office. I was approved on 24 July after making my application in September 2019. So hopefully I don’t have to wait long for the ceremony
Hi all

I contacted my local registrar and they informed me that they received my certificate and that they have booked me in for my ceremony on 1 December, they didn’t ask me to bring anything but am allowed to bring one guest. I haven’t received my invitation yet but I will keep the forum updated when I do. My approval was 24 July 2020, applied September 2019.

nnn15

Post by nnn15 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:05 pm

Cost Manager wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:48 am
nnn15 wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:34 am

Westmister is the most archaic council ever. They will never do virtual ceremonies. They even stopped coming office this week as soon as they heard about national restrictions.
I found the people from registrar office very nice and helpful, they always responded to me (unlike the HO) and shared some information. And some other members posted that Westminster council allowed them to attend the ceremony without the invitation letter if the certificate was with the council.

The problem with the virtual ceremonies conducted in the UK is that it's a half-baked solution because the certificates are physical. Nothing can progress fast if the HO has been unable to print the certificates in so many months. If the certificates were digital instead, registrars could do virtual ceremonies from home and the backlog could be cleared a lot faster.

My certificate hasn't been printed in over 6 months and I can't see how it can move forward now with the new lockdown. I'm going to send an email to my MP and ask them to advocate for a solution that could allow successful applicants to become citizens (virtual ceremonies, digital certificates). I don't have my hopes high, but a try is better than nothing.

oxana777
Mood:
Kazakhstan

Post by oxana777 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:13 pm

Asked Bristol council if they received my certificate but got a generic response. Dont think they even read my email properly. Im extremely angry. Why some councils carry on with ceremonies and others just cancel?? So fed up with this crap

Good morning,

We are very sorry to inform you that, due to the current Government restrictions, all citizenship ceremonies have had to be cancelled from 5th November to 2nd December.

Anyone who has booked a private or group ceremony will be contacted as soon as we are ready to start taking bookings again.

Thank you for your patience at this difficult time.

Kind regards

Ceremonies Team
Bristol Register Office
The Old Council House
Corn Street
Bristol BS1 1JG
Tel: 0117 9222800

Szrsrts
Mood:

Post by Szrsrts » Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:14 pm

Tamera wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:57 am
Szrsrts wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:05 am
Tamera wrote:
baybars1 wrote:

Hi Baybars1,

Cheers,

Tamera
I just posted an update abt it. Basically, the council will not conduct any ceremonies during lockdown. If you have not yet received yours, you may want to try to phone them now as I just phoned and spoke to a very nice lady at 9:45am this morning. She went through the list to check whether my name was there. Mine was received a week ago. Good luck.
May I please have the number? Thank you

baybars1

Post by baybars1 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:16 pm

Frou01 wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:36 am
In this case yes, their biometrics date was in July just.
Indeed, the biometrics submission date is probably a better predictor of the approval date than the approval email itself, with the actual approval date being somewhere between the two dates.

Take for example this member (a "July" approval whose citizenship ceremony took place in early September):

UKapplicant
Method of application: Online
Date of application: 25 Feb 2020
Payment method: Credit Card
Date of acknowledgement: 27 Feb 2020
Date of debit of fees: 25 Feb 20
Date Bio metrics enrolled: 2 Mar (paid £75, as no free appts avail in London)
Date mentioned on Approval letter: 28th July
Date of receipt of approval: 7 Sept by letter, I never received an email
Date of receipt of ceremony letter: email 8th Sept
Date of Ceremony: 23rd September
british-citizenship/naturalisation-appl ... 11400.html

Ailed
Newly Registered
Romania

Post by Ailed » Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:47 pm

awaismalik1234 wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:05 pm
hello
is there anyone from slough council? are they doing ceremony or they have stopped? and if you call them will they check if the have the certificate or you have to wait for invitation letter?

Hi,
I’m with Slough council, I have called them last week and they have received my certificate (July 2nd approval), but I’m still waiting for the invite letter. They’re saying no ceremony without the invitation. Tried to plead with the nice lady, explaining that other councils in the country are doing ceremonies without the invitation, but unsuccessful.
Maybe if you give them a ring and say the same thing she might believe us.