ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

englishcrumpet
Newly Registered
Mood:
Belarus

Re: Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

Post by englishcrumpet » Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:52 pm

I just called Sutton council and they say that all ceremonies are suspended during the lockdown. No information available about private/virtual ceremonies but the lady was fine. I also called the HO and I regret my decision. That madam was absolutely hideous. No way to check, no way to trace, she hasn't got my details and she's not aware of any information about the backlog and their commitment to send out certificates. I was approved on the 10th of September and I have a bit dodgy situation with the council as I don't know which council I am assigned to. Waste of time, let's just wait and see where this is going.

Tirinti
Mood:

Post by Tirinti » Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:50 pm

Baybars what about this timeline?
This is definitely genuine September approval as the biometrics was taken in August.
While invitation is pending, Kent council already received certificate.
Cocobana wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:53 pm
Frou01 wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:42 pm
Cocobana wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:30 pm
mdiqbal wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:32 pm
Dear all,
Just an update, my closed one's certificate was arrived at his council on 31/10/2020 for 14/10/2020 approval but no invitation letter.
I was in doubt but decided to email my council this morning and I just received the reply below
“ Thank you for your email.

We received your certificate from the Home Office this morning. We are still awaiting confirmation from Government about what ceremonies can be delivered while we are in Lockdown from Thursday. Please be assured we will be in contact as soon as we have more information and are able to book your ceremony.

Kind Regards”
FYI I was approved on 1st September. Maidstone council
That’s great.

May I asked if you have found out about your approval after enquiring with HO? Did you have a long wait prior?

I’m wondering if you have been approved earlier?
Hi, here is my timeline below
Eligibility criteria: 10yrs ILR + spouse
Language Criteria: MSC + LiUK test
Nationality: non Eu
Method of application: Online
Date of application: 08 July 2020
Payment method: Debit card
Date of debit fees: 08 July 2020
Date of acknowledgement: 08 July 2020
Date of Biometric reuse email: 06 August 2020
Opted out -07 August 2020
Date Biometrics enrolled: 20 August 2020
Date on Approval letter: 1 September 2020 email
Date of receipt of approval: Email
Date of receipt of ceremony letter: PENDING
Date of Ceremony: PENDING

qasimspp
Newly Registered

Post by qasimspp » Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:27 pm

Update from Redbridge council they will be conducting cermonies via Microsoft Team.

But they said they have only receive certificates till July.

Szrsrts
Mood:

Post by Szrsrts » Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:33 pm

Tirinti wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:50 pm
Baybars what about this timeline?
This is definitely genuine September approval as the biometrics was taken in August.
While invitation is pending, Kent council already received certificate.
Cocobana wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:53 pm
Frou01 wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:42 pm
Cocobana wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:30 pm

I was in doubt but decided to email my council this morning and I just received the reply below
“ Thank you for your email.

We received your certificate from the Home Office this morning. We are still awaiting confirmation from Government about what ceremonies can be delivered while we are in Lockdown from Thursday. Please be assured we will be in contact as soon as we have more information and are able to book your ceremony.

Kind Regards”
FYI I was approved on 1st September. Maidstone council
That’s great.

May I asked if you have found out about your approval after enquiring with HO? Did you have a long wait prior?

I’m wondering if you have been approved earlier?
Hi, here is my timeline below
Eligibility criteria: 10yrs ILR + spouse
Language Criteria: MSC + LiUK test
Nationality: non Eu
Method of application: Online
Date of application: 08 July 2020
Payment method: Debit card
Date of debit fees: 08 July 2020
Date of acknowledgement: 08 July 2020
Date of Biometric reuse email: 06 August 2020
Opted out -07 August 2020
Date Biometrics enrolled: 20 August 2020
Date on Approval letter: 1 September 2020 email
Date of receipt of approval: Email
Date of receipt of ceremony letter: PENDING
Date of Ceremony: PENDING
That is strange am August approval upon calling the council today I was informed they have only certificates till end of July. So weird.

Cost Manager

Post by Cost Manager » Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:52 pm

Are different councils receive different batches? Is anyone knows how the distribution to councils works?
27th of July Approval, still waiting for the the invitation

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:18 pm

englishcrumpet wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:52 pm
I have a bit dodgy situation with the council as I don't know which council I am assigned to.
If you have not asked for a different council in the application form, by default, your certificate will be sent to the local council of the address that you lived in at the time of your application.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

amazingneo
Newly Registered

Post by amazingneo » Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:32 pm

qasimspp wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:27 pm
Update from Redbridge council they will be conducting cermonies via Microsoft Team.

But they said they have only receive certificates till July.
I concur. That is the same response I received. If it is true then Redbridge is really behind other councils as they seem to have only started to receive July approved certificates.... Ohh - It is going to be a long winter :(

englishcrumpet
Newly Registered
Mood:
Belarus

Post by englishcrumpet » Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:43 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:18 pm
englishcrumpet wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:52 pm
I have a bit dodgy situation with the council as I don't know which council I am assigned to.
If you have not asked for a different council in the application form, by default, your certificate will be sent to the local council of the address that you lived in at the time of your application.
Thank you for your reply. In the actual form, I think it was mandatory to select a council. The only option available from London was the Sutton council, so I've chosen it. My local council is Camden.

Cocobana

Post by Cocobana » Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:03 pm

Cocobana wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:19 am
I read the legislation for the lockdown and Reg 11(4) Exception 3 is that the person concerned is fulfilling a legal obligation or participating in legal proceedings- https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/202 ... paign=post

Means citizenship ceremony can continue.

Citizenship ceremony is a legal obligation! So all the local authorities who have suspended the ceremony without further instructions from the government are just pure ignorant.
I am going to write my council and insist on making a complaint if they shut down citizenship ceremony.
If council can perform the ceremony in person they should be able to conduct private and/or virtual ceremony but to suspend it, is not acceptable.
So I emailed Maidstone council quoting the above legislation and stated my desire to make a complaint if they suspend citizenship ceremony entirely and I got a generic reply below which has been worded carefully and haven’t stated citizenship suspension.

I will give them a few days more to see if I get anything specific if not an off to making a complaint.

Dear Customers

RE: Citizenship Ceremonies - update in response to Coronavirus November 2020 lock down

We are writing to you in relation to the Government’s decision for a lockdown period over the next 4 weeks, starting on Thursday 5th November and planned to end on the Wednesday 2nd December.

This has unfortunately meant that there will be a delay in assigning a date for your citizenship ceremony.

We will be in contact to offer a ceremony date as soon as possible. We would be grateful if you could contact us on citizen_sp@kent.gov.uk and supply a contact email address and telephone number as this will enable us to contact you as quickly as possible with further updates. Please send any queries you may have to citizen_sp@kent.gov.uk. As you can appreciate these measures have impacted on many new citizens, and it will take us time to reply to everyone but we will respond as quickly as we are able to.

We appreciate how disappointing this is for you, however, please be assured that we remain committed to do everything we can to deliver your ceremony and provide you with the best possible service we can, subject to any prevailing conditions.

Thank you for your understanding at this difficult time.

Kent Registration Service

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:06 pm

I got a response by my council:

“ We still haven’t received your paperwork yet but we are starting to receive large numbers of certificates from the home office and they have notified us that they are intending to keep sending them to us during this new lockdown. Unfortunately however following the UK Prime Minister’s announcement on the evening of 30th October 2020 to cancel public gatherings no further group or private citizenship ceremonies will be taking place until further notice.

Once we have received instruction from the home office, we will contact all new citizens to inform them of new arrangements as we are looking at various ways to try to hold ceremonies at the moment.

...”

Also they mentioned they contact me themselves by email once my paperwork is with them.

nnn15

Post by nnn15 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:30 pm

Frou01 wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:06 pm

“ We still haven’t received your paperwork yet but we are starting to receive large numbers of certificates from the home office and they have notified us that they are intending to keep sending them to us during this new lockdown. Unfortunately however following the UK Prime Minister’s announcement on the evening of 30th October 2020 to cancel public gatherings no further group or private citizenship ceremonies will be taking place until further notice.

Once we have received instruction from the home office, we will contact all new citizens to inform them of new arrangements as we are looking at various ways to try to hold ceremonies at the moment.

...”

Also they mentioned they contact me themselves by email once my paperwork is with them.
This is good news, thanks for posting! In the past the HO hasn't followed through on everything they said (e.g. a promise that everyone approved before early August would receive their paperwork by the end of October..), but let's hope this time all certificates will be printed and sent.
It seems once the certificate is with the council things are moving faster. Also there is an expiration date on the certificates, so councils will need to arrange some ceremonies within the time limit on the certificate.

edu
Newly Registered

Post by edu » Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:31 pm

From City of Westminster at https://www.westminster.gov.uk/arrange- ... p-ceremony:
We are not currently taking bookings for citizenship ceremonies due to the national restrictions. We will provide more information as soon as it becomes available.

rayyfar

Post by rayyfar » Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:35 pm

Frou01 wrote:

...”

Also, they mentioned they contact me themselves by email once my paperwork is with them.
Thanks for sharing this information the council has not replied to any of my emails since last week I am also from BCC do you mind me asking when did you send your email?

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:39 pm

rayyfar wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:35 pm
Frou01 wrote:

...”

Also, they mentioned they contact me themselves by email once my paperwork is with them.
Thanks for sharing this information the council has not replied to any of my emails since last week I am also from BCC do you mind me asking when did you send your email?
Yesterday.

rayyfar

Post by rayyfar » Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:41 pm

Frou01 wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:39 pm
rayyfar wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:35 pm
Frou01 wrote:

...”

Yesterday.
wow ... I wonder they have decided not to reply to me at all I have sent 4 emails in past 4 weeks :(

Small

Post by Small » Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:47 pm

Hello guys. My another friend got her ceremony done online today. According to her she was approved in 12 July. She got call from council yesterday and booked for online ceremonies at 12:30 today. I think the guy at council fancy her that is why quick ceremony date 😂.
She conveys big massive thank you to Baybars1. You are genius.
Thank you for moderators and good luck who are waiting.

Ccouture
Newly Registered
Jamaica

Post by Ccouture » Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:31 pm

Good evening all, so I emailed my council this morning re: querying arrival of my certificate. I received a call this evening informing me that they do have my certificate and also booked me in for virtual ceremony this Friday 09.30am. Also after the ceremony my certificate will be posted on Friday special delivery. I cant wait for friday and to have that certificate in my hands. I will keep you guys posted. By the way I am a July 17th approval.

Cost Manager

Post by Cost Manager » Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:35 pm

Very jealous seeing councils doing virtual ceremonies even sending certs with special delivery as my council (probably the largest one) westminster cant even handle batches. Really disappointing
27th of July Approval, still waiting for the the invitation

otuel
Poland

Post by otuel » Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:38 pm

Hi all,
A little update of my current situation:

- Prediction of arriving invitation letter (approval on 22nd of July, prediction: 21.10-04.11) did not work for me,

- I sent an e-mail to Bristol City Council to ask if they have my certificate. They skipped this part, however, I was updated regarding the ceremonies:

"We are very sorry to inform you that, due to the current Government restrictions, all citizenship ceremonies have had to be cancelled from 5th November to 2nd December.

Anyone who has booked a private or group ceremony will be contacted as soon as we are ready to start taking bookings again.

Thank you for your patience at this difficult time
".

- I will call the Home Office soon to obtain hopefully some information regarding current situation.

Cheers,
otuel

Oxford900
Newly Registered
Czech Republic

Post by Oxford900 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:40 pm

Someone mentioned that there is an expiration date on the naturalisation certificates. Can anybody please share what the date is? (number of days, weeks, months?)
Many thanks and best wishes.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:00 pm

Oxford900 wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:40 pm
Someone mentioned that there is an expiration date on the naturalisation certificates. Can anybody please share what the date is? (number of days, weeks, months?)
Not sure what you are looking at - no expiration date on the certificate - it's for life.
Do you mean the date by which you need to attend the ceremony?
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

lada23
Newly Registered
Russia

Post by lada23 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:06 pm

Just received the below from Hackney
they are also offering free private ceremonies
---
Thank you for your email.

I can confirm that we do have your certificate and we will be inviting you to attend a ceremony shortly.

Please bear with us! Within the space of a week, we have (unexpectedly!) received over 150 naturalisation certificates with another 60 due to be delivered tomorrow!

Once we have added everyone onto our system, we will then be allocating ceremonies in order of the date the application was approved.

Kind regards
--

followed by an invitation to attend a ceremony on 12 November, I got my approval on 14 September. Hackney seem to want an invitation letter from the HO as well, which I haven't received yet..

Oxford900
Newly Registered
Czech Republic

Post by Oxford900 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:35 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:00 pm
Oxford900 wrote:
Not sure what you are looking at - no expiration date on the certificate - it's for life.
This is exactly my understanding that there should be no date printed on them, nor any date by when one must attend the ceremony. But someone mentioned it above so I just wanted to doublecheck with some who has seen the actual thing.

Newly Registered
Romania

Post by 3262 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:50 pm

I got my approval on 30th July but still no invitation letter yet.
Since I changed my address after applying for citizenship, I'm a bit confused about which council will receive my certificate.
The approval letter arrived at the new address in Kensington by post so I assume the certificate will go to Kensington Council.
Could someone with a similar situation confirm if I'm right in my thinking or should I send emails to both H&F and Kensington Council enquiring about my certificate.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:56 pm

Oxford900 wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:35 pm
alterhase58 wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:00 pm
Oxford900 wrote:
This is exactly my understanding that there should be no date printed on them, nor any date by when one must attend the ceremony. But someone mentioned it above so I just wanted to doublecheck with some who has seen the actual thing.
I received mine in 2016 - it's got an issue date - the ceremony date.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.