ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

JanisZiemelis
Newly Registered
Latvia

Re: Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

Post by JanisZiemelis » Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:31 pm

rayyfar wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:51 am
Frou01 wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:24 am
Helen123 wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:21 am
Hi @Frou01!

So this was the response I got from BCC. I was approved on Sept 14, applied June 1.

“During the first pandemic national lockdown the Home Office had taken the decision to not send the certificates of people approved since lockdown to the local register offices. The Home Office are continuing to send out details of people approved since lockdown but are having to manage the numbers so are sending out the certificates in date order currently for successful applications approved in August/September.

Unfortunately we have not received your certificate from the Home Office, so cannot book a ceremony for you yet. Please be assured that once we receive your certificate from the Home Office we will contact you to arrange your ceremony as soon as we are able but please bear in mind that this still may be some weeks off.”
Oh wow.

They have certificates from August and September and not mine. :cry:

Gooooood news
Just got this email from Birmingham city council after i referred them to govt new guidelines and the legislation

“ We have just had confirmation from the Home Office that Citizenship Ceremonies can go ahead during this period of lockdown. I can confirm that we have received your certificate from the Home Office and we will be sending you a ceremony invitation as soon as we can. Due to the on going covid situation we have staff shortages, but are doing our best to maintain services.
Best wishes
Echoing the message received by the Birmingham Council, they sent me the same this morning, and confirmed that my existing appointment still stands (i.e. will not be cancelled).

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:32 pm

I have just spoken to HO line (AGAIN), they had no updates, they don’t know what’s going on and they said I should have received it by now.

They mentioned some departments there were completely closed in the last weeks.

She has sympathised with my situation and was very kind and told me it’s nice talking to someone in that situation talking calm.
She said there people calling shouting and swearing.
That’s absolutely unacceptable!
They’re just a call centre and only can inform about updates they actually have.

Also she has mentioned to contact HO only in writing as they are not allowed to give email addresses any more.

Szrsrts
Mood:

Post by Szrsrts » Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:53 pm

Any updates from August approvals? Specially Kent Council if there is. Thank you

Small

Post by Small » Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:31 pm

Can anyone reply here. My British citizen certificate has been chewed by my dogs along with my boots. Anyone know how to get another certificate? How much it would cost etc please

rayyfar

Post by rayyfar » Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:34 pm

Small wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:31 pm
Can anyone reply here. My British citizen certificate has been chewed by my dogs along with my boots. Anyone know how to get another certificate? How much it would cost etc please
I am so sorry to hear that following link might help

https://www.gov.uk/get-replacement-citi ... ertificate

MNQ
Newly Registered

Post by MNQ » Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:36 pm

Szrsrts wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:53 pm
Any updates from August approvals? Specially Kent Council if there is. Thank you
I was approved back on 29th July, no news from HO or Birmingham City Coucil till Tuesday this week.

I emails BCC and got a reply yesterday saying that they have my details but they are waiting for further information from HO.

As per timeline posted in this thread i got my letter in post today. As BCC are going ahead with ceremonies as per their website i am hoping that i will get my appointment soon-ish

passat
Pakistan

Post by passat » Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:40 pm

Good news from my side. I received my Home Office invitation letter as well as an invitation letter from my Council (Buckinghamshire Council) in the post just now. The council said that they have booked me in for the ceremony on 23rd December which is a bit too late for me.
Below are my timelines:
Date of application: 06 May 2020
Date of approval: 07 Sep 2020
Date on invitation letter: 27 Oct 2020
Date invitation letter received: 06 Nov 2020

Good luck to everyone waiting. I hope you get your invitations soon.

luckylucky7
Newly Registered
Italy

Post by luckylucky7 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:05 pm

icecube65 wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:35 pm
luckylucky7 wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:57 pm
icecube65 wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:20 pm
luckylucky7 wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:10 pm

Hi icecube,

I called them earlier today to ask if they received my certificate (August approval) but they hadn't. I called on that same number you listed and said 'citizenship ceremony' when prompted. Then go through the option of cancelling a ceremony if you want to speak to a human since every other option is automated.

The lady on the phone assured me that ceremonies will continue as normal despite new lockdown rules, she also told me that the next available slots are for January at the moment, although I'm not sure how exact that is. You should also check on the council website to see if you can book your ceremony maybe? You can enter your home office reference number even if you haven't received your letter.

No idea on what batches they are currently sorting through as I didn't really ask. Let me know if you need help finding the link to check if your certificate is on their system :)
Amazing. You're a star, thank you. Will give this a go for actually speaking to someone. :wink:

Since 17/ July I have been checking on the council website using the HO "Our Reference" number which is on the Approval email. I have been doing this at least twice a day like a mad person. :D The only thing I keep seeing is the "Home Office reference not found".

Will ring them up on Thursday and see if that miraculously changes anything.
Tell me about it I've been checking the site daily too, hopefully we'll be able to book our ceremonies soon! Fingers crossed :lol:
Finally, a worthy update.

Received my invitation letter this afternoon.

Timeline:
Applied: End of March 2020
Biometrics: 10 July 2020
Approval: 17 July 2020
Invitation letter received: 05 Nov 2020
Date on Invitation letter: 10 Oct 2020

Council: Newham

I rang up the council. They couldn't find my certificate. They also mentioned there are no Group, Private or Virtual ceremonies happening during lockdown. I am also going to email them so I have an audit trail of communications (since it's already over 21 days since the date on the latter).

Hopefully, they do have some sort of Private/ Virtual ceremony as this would massively help get it out of the way.
Hi icecube,

Congrats on receiving your letter! Please keep us updated as to whether you manage to have your ceremony with the council. Has the website updated and let you book the ceremony at all? I hope they at least try to do virtual ceremonies, we've all waited so long NOW :|

triiishiii
Newly Registered

Post by triiishiii » Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:20 pm

TheTraveller wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:46 am
triiishiii wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:17 pm
TheTraveller wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:08 pm
triiishiii wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:40 pm
Hi,

Good news - I received my citizenship invitation letter today (approval was in July). The letter says call council to book ceremony, but council's website says email council to book.

I guess it's a waiting game - my letter says it was dispatched in the 1st week of october, so technically have already lost a month.

I am with Kingston County council, I have emailed them - just checking if that is the correct process ?

Thanks for replies.
Hi Triiishiii - My local council is Kingston too! I emailed them and they said they have not received my certificate .. Have you heard back from them?

Heya, thanks for replying. I have emailed Kingston today. When did you get in touch with Kingston CC ? Is there a number to call and speak to them, do you know?

They are horrible with no answer for phone calls or emails! the only thing you can do now is to email them nationality@kingston.gov.uk .. ask them if they got your certificate or not yet! PLEASE keep me posted if you hear back from the;)

Hi TheTraveller - Did you receive an acknowledgement when you sent the email to Kingston ? I called the council just now, they are saying there will be a delay as they are dealing with backlog.

Rins
Newly Registered
Mood:
Bulgaria

Post by Rins » Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:22 pm

standrews wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:43 pm
Mo6193 wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:16 pm
standrews wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:35 pm
Rins wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:20 pm

From Glasgow too - approval date was 20th July. Glasgow City Council just refuses to provide any information without an invitation letter.
Can you share, which number are you calling to ask about certificate?
Has anyone from Glasgow received invitation for early August approval. Glasgow City Council is worst for giving any info. Have called them many times but no luck.
Not yet, my approval is from 01/July/2020, so still awaiting invitation letter.
I actually just got my invitation letter today - a real surprise!

Council: Glasgow City Council
Approval: 20 July 2020
Invitation letter received: 06 Nov 2020
Date on Invitation letter: 13 Oct 2020

saupen
Newly Registered
India

Post by saupen » Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:32 pm

I am in NEWHAM council.

Below are my timelines:
Date of application: 27 March 2020
Date of approval: 30 June 2020
Date on invitation letter: NOT RECEIVED

Is anyone else from NEWHAM council waiting. There is no response from HO or NEWHAM to any of my emails.
Newham council helpline is also very unhelpful with everything going to recorded messages.

Olik
Newly Registered
Czech Republic

Post by Olik » Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:36 pm

Hi all, I've been following this thread for some time now and thank you for all the posts and advises.

Approval date: 4 August
Invitation letter: waiting
Certificate: received by Hertfordshire council this week
Ceremony: booked for group ceremony for 18.11.2020

You can still book the ceremony with the Hertfordshire council even though they have on their website that the ceremonies are cancelled. I was able to book it without the invitation letter. Once I receive the invitation they told me to call them and update them with the poll number so they are able to find my certificate more quickly. For the ceremony I will also need one form of ID and the approval email.

Hope this helps.

Draak
Newly Registered
Poland

Post by Draak » Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:42 pm

Council: Westminster
Approval date: September 2020
Invitation letter: 5th November

I've received an invitation yesterday but due to national restrictions Westminster council isn't currently taking bookings. I was advised to check on weekly basis for more information.

MannyWarrior
Mood:

Post by MannyWarrior » Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:57 pm

Manchester has gotten back to me again and said

“The good news is that we can resume ceremonies from the 16th November.

A large number of certificates were received form the Home Office.
We will be booking citizens onto ceremonies and posting out our invitations next week”

When I asked to be booked private they replied with this so I’m assuming Incant attend until then. They wouldn’t call me either which is weird.

Let’s wait till next week.

lc42
Newly Registered
Turkey

Post by lc42 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:09 pm

Has anyone been in touch with Southwark council? They’ve not replied to my email asking if ceremonies are continuing and their ceremonies page hasn’t been updated since July.

Cost Manager

Post by Cost Manager » Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:10 pm

Any July approval received their letter today?
27th of July Approval, still waiting for the the invitation

BoyTed
Somalia

Post by BoyTed » Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:11 pm

Good Day Everyone,
Hope you are all wearing the best colours of health.

Shocking for me my invitation letter arrived today dated 28 September 2020 luckily i had my ceremony without the invitation and applied for British Passport last friday but bitterly disappointed as keep asking myself how can a later take this long to arrive?😒
Timeline as follows;
I was approved 29th June 2020 received decision 2nd July 2020.
All you waiting i feel your pain and the disappointment when you go check your post and nothing how you feel we've all been there stay strong and you will finally finish this horrible journey.
Thanks to Baybar1 for always helping all of us.
I still read your struggles and iam rooting for all of you.
Goodluck to you all.

Cost Manager

Post by Cost Manager » Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:39 pm

Boys and Girls,

Westminster received a batch and I am in it.
Booked ceremony for 12th of November finally. They are doing only private ceremonies but free of charge so be quick slots will be fill up soon.

HamiltonNZ
Newly Registered

Post by HamiltonNZ » Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:54 pm

Cost Manager wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:39 pm
Boys and Girls,

Booked ceremony for 12th of November finally. They are doing only private ceremonies but free of charge so be quick slots will be fill up soon.
Congratulations, very well done! Full of hope, I decided to call them and try and do the same. The lady was adamant all ceremonies were suspended for the lockdown and ignored my pleading.. (so much for coordination). Though I did not catch a Register Office person on the phone - presumably off for the weekend. Will try again next week. This is so much fun.

nnn15

Post by nnn15 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:56 pm

HamiltonNZ wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:54 pm
Cost Manager wrote:
Boys and Girls,

Congratulations, very well done! Full of hope, I decided to call them and try and do the same. The lady was adamant all ceremonies were suspended for the lockdown and ignored my pleading.. (so much for coordination). Though I did not catch a Register Office person on the phone - presumably off for the weekend. Will try again next week. This is so much fun.
How did you find out whether they have your certificate? Did they reach out to you?

I called the registrar service but the lady wasn't able to tell if they had my certificate, she also told me there would be no private or virtual ceremonies during the lockdown.

HamiltonNZ
Newly Registered

Post by HamiltonNZ » Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:05 pm

I didn't find out - that would have been part of my query. Sounds like you and I had the same call (likely with the same person).

Cost Manager

Post by Cost Manager » Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:08 pm

HamiltonNZ wrote:
Cost Manager wrote:
Boys and Girls,

Yes lady in the reception is not very helpful. I emailed them instead. It took 8 days them to come back to me.

raij
Poland

Post by raij » Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:09 pm

en_ilegna wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:21 am
anyone here who is approved early June who has not received anything yet?
very start of june here - also no invitation letter , register office did not get my paperwork neither

Cost Manager

Post by Cost Manager » Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:10 pm

I also bookedmarked their online system to my laptop before they shut it down.

http://registrars.westminster.gov.uk/Ag ... eBookings/

Try this it might work for you aswell.

nnn15

Post by nnn15 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:10 pm

Cost Manager wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:08 pm
HamiltonNZ wrote:
Cost Manager wrote:
Boys and Girls,

Yes lady in the reception is not very helpful. I emailed them instead. It took 8 days them to come back to me.
Thanks! Hopefully they are inputting the data in their system. It's a pity they removed the ceremony booking form from their website - it was such a good way to check if they have a certificate without bothering them...

And your ceremony invitation letter hasn't arrived? Could you update us when you receive it? It seems some people haven't receive these letters at all but were able to attend a ceremony.