ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EUFAM to Irish Citizen spouse

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

mmsa
Mood:

EUFAM to Irish Citizen spouse

Post by mmsa » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:50 pm

Hi all,

So I recently got my Irish Passport, my wife is currently on an EUFAM visa based on my other nationality. I want to change her over to a visa based on being a spouse of an Irish citizen as oppose to an EU citizen. I would appreciate any guidance as to how to do this and anywhere I can find information on the process and how long it would take.

TIA

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: EUFAM to Irish Citizen spouse

Post by littlerr » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:57 pm

Why? Stamp 4EUFAM offers much more freedom than Stamp 4.

If you really want to change it, just send in an online renewal in Dublin (or get an appointment with your local Garda station if you live outside of Dublin). Marriage cert and evidence of cohabitation, along with other normal stuff, will be sufficient

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:39 am

This makes no sense whatsoever, and making this change will result in your wife having to get visa to trave to Europe and reduced IRP length.

She should apply for Irish citizen if you have been married for 3 years.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

mmsa
Mood:

Post by mmsa » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:15 pm

I’m a British citizen so she’s going to be transferred from EUFAM anyway sometime soon because of Brexit, to one likely not to offer such benifits like visa free travel to Europe.

Correction, She actually has the EUFAM permanent residency card now since a few months ago Meaning she’s been here for 5 years but I only recently got my citizenship so her application I’m working on now just after I make the decision to keep or change the EUFAM

The other reason is that my solicitor said that EUFAM naturalisation applications are one of the ones that are generally delayed and that having her on a Stamp 4 instead might speed things up?

Would appreciate your opinion guys on the above. Do u think it will delay her citizenship application this is my main concern as I’m due to apply for this soon. Thanks so much for the swift replies.

UK245
BANNED

Post by UK245 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:05 am

Obie wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:39 am
This makes no sense whatsoever, and making this change will result in your wife having to get visa to trave to Europe and reduced IRP length.

She should apply for Irish citizen if you have been married for 3 years.
She'll need a visa to travel in Europe anyway, she will have to change her EUFam card for a different spouse of UK citizen one that will give her no rights to visa free travel. That goes for PR EUFAM as well.

citizenfour
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by citizenfour » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:31 am

If your spouse has a 10 year permanent residence card do NOT change it to stamp 4 based on being the spouse of an Irish citizen

She should apply for the card exchange programme which will start in January for family members of British citizens

If she has permanent residence 10 year stamp then her immigration status is permanent and thus no longer dependent on your status.

Naturalisation applications for stamp4eufam holders tend to be delayed because they haven't received the permanent residence decision at time of citizenship application

zaza7625
Member of Standing
Georgia

Post by zaza7625 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:34 pm

Hi.
I am a naturalised irish citizen,holding irish passport.
My wife is an EU citizen and we are married for more than 10 years and we are in ireland more than 7 years already.
She has an intention to apply for irish citizenship, and as far as i am concerned,she has 2 option to make choice: 1. Apply as a spouse of irish citizen and 2: apply as a resident for more than 5 years.
Which option is better.
If she applies on behalf of her irish citizen spouse, would she be waiting 3 years after i got irish citizenship or that 10 years marriage is taken into consideration?

Thanks

raja.brit
Member of Standing
Jamaica

Post by raja.brit » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:20 pm

Hi,

My understanding is that she will be able to apply immediately as a spouse of Irish Citizen coz she has already met the 3yrs residency requirements.

Fellow members, please correct me if I am wrong.

Hope it helps!

expatlux
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Post by expatlux » Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:18 am

Just to second what was said above, EUFAM is better (that's what I'm on, also thanks to a British citizen) and yes she should wait for the program to 'exchange' that permission thanks to Brexit. Good luck!

mmsa
Mood:

Post by mmsa » Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:14 pm

So its a good idea to delay her naturalisation application till the exchange?