ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

B1 English Test certificate not accepted for extension visa!

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

liyam

Re: Time to apply for Visa Extension please help.

Post by liyam » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:42 pm

AmazonianX wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:44 am
liyam wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:36 am
Do we need to scan every single pages of our passports (wife’s, mine and children)?
For sponsor scan the biometrics / bio data page. For applicants scan all pages.
Thanks for that.

Mohammadaslam77
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by Mohammadaslam77 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:18 pm

Once all documents scanned were do you send them

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:23 pm

Mohammadaslam77 wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:18 pm
Please continue your questions in your own topic you have and do not tag onto other members topics. It is unfair to other users.

https://www.immigrationboards.com/immig ... l#p1912105
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

liyam

Post by liyam » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:43 pm

Mohammadaslam77 wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:18 pm
Good question as to be honest I still haven’t actually found the link to the application!

taddo12

Post by taddo12 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:06 pm

liyam wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:31 am
CR001 wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:38 pm
Such as;
◦ Letter from landlord
◦ Water bills, electricity bills You need two years evidence of cohabitation in both names from 3 - 6 sources spread evenly for every 3 or 4 months.
◦ Wife birth certificate + translation (It’s not in English)
◦ Marriage certificate + translation (it’s not in English)
◦ Wife passport
◦ My passport
◦ English test again as she already has B1
◦ Child’s UK birth certificate
◦ Child’s British passport
◦ Wife 2 passport-sized photos NOT Required
◦ Photos together as a family showing we are still together?! NOT Required
◦ Cover letter from my employer
◦ Cover letter from myself? NOT Required
Thanks for the reply, we don't have that many bills between us I'm afraid especially covering over 2 years of it, there's a water bill in both our names, elec&gas provided by same company only in my name, council tax has always been in my name although the council knows I live with my wife and our 2 years old child, EE mobile bills for both of us in her name, we both have credit cards too ... that's about it!

Is there a way to get round this? I don't know why and how we would need 6 bills in each of our name tbh?! we simply don't have that many direct debits to give us a month bill.

Can we use the same B1 english test certificate?

Looking to translate the marriage and birth certificate again, many translators charge extra £20 to certify it themselves while tranlating, are these good enough for the HO?
In the same situation and also concerned about this, surely some leeway is possible?

liyam

B1 English Test certificate not accepted for extension visa!

Post by liyam » Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:29 pm

Hi everyone,

I hope everyone is keeping well in the current environment the world is in.

It’s nearly 4 months since we applied for my wife’s extension visa (the second 2.5 years) and today we received an email from HO saying that she needs to provide the A2 English test certificate while she already has a higher certificate and that’s how she was granted the entry visa 2.5 years ago!

This doesn’t make sense to us and I thought I ask for opinions here on the forum.

To make the matter worse they want a certificate submitted within 14 days which we know it’s no possible in such environment! And it seems like it’s going to cost £200 which I don’t think it’s fair when she already has a higher certificate and it was sufficient to grant her the first visa so not sure why they don’t accept it this time!

Thanks

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: B1 English Test certificate not accepted for extension visa!

Post by CULLINAN » Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:31 pm

What is the test she took?
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

liyam

Post by liyam » Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:49 pm

IELTS Life Skills B1 Speaking and Listening.

Apparently this is what they need for indefinite leave to remain so I’m puzzled why isn’t sufficient enough this time!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:52 pm

Did you submit any other older english test or foreign degree?

Is the test and test centre where she did her last test still on the current ho approved list?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

liyam

Post by liyam » Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:17 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:52 pm
Did you submit any other older english test or foreign degree?

Is the test and test centre where she did her last test still on the current ho approved list?
No we didn’t submit anything else. The centre is still an approved centre in the HO list.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:18 pm

In that case you need to reply to the email and clarify HO. Also add the guidance and mention the test AND the test centre is still on the approved list.

Or maybe because it is older than 2 years old they did not accept it??
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

liyam

Post by liyam » Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:29 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:18 pm

Or maybe because it is older than 2 years old they did not accept it??
This is another concern, though I have asked this here on the same thread earlier and didn’t seem to be an issue, hence we submitted using the same test.

It’s hard to believe that anyone including HO thinks a test that’s taken in 2016 isn’t acceptable! Though they don’t say it’s out of date they just say “insufficient”

Is there such requirements and if so, was it changed recently?
It seems like HO updated their list of English test centre etc this month (Dec 2020)!

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:54 pm

I think validity for an old B1 SELT is ignored for settlement application if it was used in a previous application AND still on the approved test and test centre list, however maybe not for an extension application?

Also see:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... 6.0ext.pdf

liyam

Post by liyam » Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:00 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:54 pm
I think validity for an old B1 SELT is ignored for settlement application if it was used in a previous application AND still on the approved test and test centre list, however maybe not for an extension application?

Also see:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... 6.0ext.pdf
This was issued on 01/Dec/2020 which is 3 months after we applied.
Is there a chance to see the older version so I can see if these are recent changes?!

Ive had an issue with HO back in 2016 when we applied refusing us based on nothing and took me 1.5 year and lawyer to prove them wrong. I’m sure they wouldn’t hesitate to refuse people if they get away with it.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:01 pm

This has been the case always.
https://www.gov.uk/english-language/app ... ifications
If your qualification has run out
Some recognised test qualifications only last for 2 years. You can still use a B1 level qualification that you took more than 2 years ago in 2 situations.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:14 pm

I think the issue is with the validity of B1 SELT. A2 is required but maybe you can consider taking an approved B1 SELT again so you can use it for ILR and AN also.

https://www.trinitycollege.com/qualific ... SE-grade-5

TODMATT
Diamond Member

Post by TODMATT » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:39 pm

liyam wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:29 pm
Hi everyone,

It’s nearly 4 months since we applied for my wife’s extension visa (the second 2.5 years) and today we received an email from HO saying that she needs to provide the A2 English test certificate while she already has a higher certificate and that’s how she was granted the entry visa 2.5 years ago!

This doesn’t make sense to us and I thought I ask for opinions here on the forum.

To make the matter worse they want a certificate submitted within 14 days which we know it’s no possible in such environment! And it seems like it’s going to cost £200 which I don’t think it’s fair when she already has a higher certificate and it was sufficient to grant her the first visa so not sure why they don’t accept it this time!

Thanks
Just write back to the caseworker and quote paragraph 32D assuming the certificate was used as part of a successful application.
My opinions should not be constituted as an immigration or legal advice.

liyam

Post by liyam » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:53 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:01 pm
Some recognised test qualifications only last for 2 years. You can still use a B1 level qualification that you took more than 2 years ago in 2 situations.
Yes the second situation applies to us as we have used the exact qualifications for entry visa was successful.

“ Applying to settle in the UK
You can use a B1 level qualification that’s run out if both of the following are true:

it’s on the current list of recognised tests
it was accepted for another UK immigration application, for example when you got permission to enter“

liyam

Post by liyam » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:54 pm

TODMATT wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:39 pm
liyam wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:29 pm
Hi everyone,

Thanks
Just write back to the caseworker and quote paragraph 32D assuming the certificate was used as part of a successful application.
Yes used the same one for entry clearance visa.

Korekt
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by Korekt » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:17 pm

liyam wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:53 pm
CULLINAN wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:01 pm
Yes the second situation applies to us as we have used the exact qualifications for entry visa was successful.

Applying to settle in the UK
You can use a B1 level qualification that’s run out if both of the following are true:

it’s on the current list of recognised tests
it was accepted for another UK immigration application, for example when you got permission to enter“
The highlighted bit.

It's been suggested the request was made as an extension application is not one of the two situations mentioned in the link above to reuse an expired B1.
"Facts are sacred. Opinions are free."

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:31 am

Regarding previous English Language test.

For entry clearance or extensions under Appendix FM, 32D applies.
For settlement, 2.2(b) applies.
For Naturalisation, Guidance applies.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

liyam

Post by liyam » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:48 am

vinny wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:31 am
Regarding previous English Language test.

For entry clearance or extensions under Appendix FM, 32D applies.
For settlement, 2.2(b) applies.
For Naturalisation, Guidance applies.
Thanks for clarifying this as I’m about to write back to HO and refer them to the paragraph 32D of the Appendix.

You’d ask why couldn’t a ho agent simply know this?! Or search and find out before contacting people and most likely cause even more stress for them, like there isn’t enough of that in everyone’s life at the moment!

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:13 am

Good luck and please keep us posted with the result. Thanks.

liyam

Post by liyam » Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:38 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:13 am
Thanks will do, I'd also like to mention one thing and it's what the ho wrote to us, slightly confusing as what they're on by mentioning this:

"Documents required:

A CEFR A2 Test for Mrs****
We note the application form states 'Did the test assess your speaking and listening skills at a level equivalent to CEFR A1 or higher?

As per the guidance set out on our website (https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa/knowledge-of-english) you are required to take a CEFR A2 test when applying to extend your stay after 2.5 years.

We note You have provided IELTS Life Skills B1 Speaking and Listening, however it was insufficient.

We would like to offer Mrs**** the opportunity to take a new test at the required level. Please advise if you are able to take a new test and provide a result in the next 14 days.

Our aim is to make a decision on your case promptly. To enable us to do this it is essential that you reply by 14 working days."

So firstly the level required is below the certificate we have given and also I can confirm this certificate doesn't have an expiry date either as ho website some test centres issue their certificates with expiry date which isn't the case here.

TODMATT
Diamond Member

Post by TODMATT » Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:29 pm

liyam wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:38 pm
CULLINAN wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:13 am
Thanks will do, I'd also like to mention one thing and it's what the ho wrote to us, slightly confusing as what they're on by mentioning this:

"Documents required:

A CEFR A2 Test for Mrs****
We note the application form states 'Did the test assess your speaking and listening skills at a level equivalent to CEFR A1 or higher?

As per the guidance set out on our website (https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa/knowledge-of-english) you are required to take a CEFR A2 test when applying to extend your stay after 2.5 years.

We note You have provided IELTS Life Skills B1 Speaking and Listening, however it was insufficient.

We would like to offer Mrs**** the opportunity to take a new test at the required level. Please advise if you are able to take a new test and provide a result in the next 14 days.

Our aim is to make a decision on your case promptly. To enable us to do this it is essential that you reply by 14 working days."

So firstly the level required is below the certificate we have given and also I can confirm this certificate doesn't have an expiry date either as ho website some test centres issue their certificates with expiry date which isn't the case here.
The caseworker must be confused! Because you will only need B1 when applying for ILR under appendix KOLL but you should be exercising 32D since you are applying for an extension and if you submitted a higher test as B1 then you can use it all the way as long as it’s still on the approved list when you applied for ILR.
My opinions should not be constituted as an immigration or legal advice.