ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Birth Certificate for ILR Dependant

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ashanker
Newly Registered
India

Joint ILR Application

Post by ashanker » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:38 pm

We moved from India to the UK in August 2012, when my employer deputed me on a long-term assignment.
I was given a Tier 2 (ICT) Visa, and my wife got a Tier 2 (ICT - Dependant) Visa.
Later, in August 2016, my wife got her Tier 2 (General) Visa, sponsored by her employer.
However, I continued on my Tier 2 (ICT) visa until April 2017, when I changed my Visa status from Tier 2 (ICT) to Tier 2 (General - Dependant), on my wife's Tier 2 (General) Visa.
My wife is now ready to apply for her ILR.
Should my wife and I apply jointly for ILR?

ashanker
Newly Registered
India

Birth Certificate for ILR Dependant

Post by ashanker » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:22 pm

I am applying jointly with my wife for ILR.
She has a Tier 2 (General) Visa and I have a Tier 2 (General - dependant) Visa.
Do I need to provide my Birth Certificate as one of the documents when applying for ILR?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Birth Certificate for ILR Dependant

Post by CR001 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:02 am

You do not qualify for ILR as a dependent. You need 5 years residence on tier 2 dependent before you can apply for ilr. You will only qualify in 2022 if you got your dependent visa in 2017.

Birth certificates are not required.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ashanker
Newly Registered
India

Post by ashanker » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:38 am

Thanks for your prompt reply, CR001!

However, when I was going through the following site:
https://www.gov.uk/settle-in-the-uk/y/y ... neral-visa
I came across the following:

Family members (dependants)
Your partner and children under 18 can apply on the same form as you if they’re eligible.

Eligibility for partners
Your partner may qualify if all of the following apply:

- they have permission to be in the UK as your partner
- they’ve been living in the UK with you for at least 2 years if they applied before 9 July 2012 or 5 years if they applied on or after 9 July 2012
- your relationship is genuine
- you intend to continue living together
- you have enough income to support yourselves and your dependants
- you’re not using public funds

All of the above six conditions apply to me, as we have been living together in the UK for the last 9 years since August 2012 (first on my Tier 2 (ICT) Visa, and then on my wife's Tier 2 (General) visa).

I am willing to wait for another eight months (till April 2022, which is five years from the time I changed my visa status to become a Tier 2 (General - Dependant) on my wife's visa), if that's the advisable thing to do (after all there is a steep application fee which I may lose if my ILR application is turned down).

Please advise.
Many Thanks!

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:39 am

The wording is slightly misleading on that page. The continuous stay requirement should actually be:
they’ve been living in the UK under dependant visa with you for at least 2 years if they applied before 9 July 2012 or 5 years if they applied on or after 9 July 2012
You need 5 years under PBS dependant visa, not just 5 years living in the UK :!: The immigration rules are clear on this so you do not qualify until 2022
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice