ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Length of time living in the UK?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

eclairyang
Newly Registered
Taiwan

ILR or another Tier 2 dependent extension?

Post by eclairyang » Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:51 pm

Dear all,

I arrived in the UK on 22 Sep 2011 on a Tier 4 student visa, and switched to the Doctorate Extension Scheme (DES) visa in 2016, and then to Tier 2 dependent visa in 2017. I renewed my Tier 2 dependent visa in 2018, which is due to expire on 21 Sep 2021.

I am wondering whether I can apply for ILR based on 10-year continuous residency this September? Do I meet the 10-year continuous residency requirement on 21 Sep 2021? Or should I renew my Tier 2 dependent visa again?

Thank you in advance.

zimba
Mood:

Re: ILR or another Tier 2 dependent extension?

Post by zimba » Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:32 am

If you have 10 years of lawful residence, then apply under long residence
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

eclairyang
Newly Registered
Taiwan

Post by eclairyang » Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:22 pm

Zimba wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:32 am
If you have 10 years of lawful residence, then apply under long residence
I've been staying in the UK legally. But I'm not sure how they calculate 10 years. Do 22 Sep 2011 to 21 Sep 2021 make 10 years, or 22 Sep 2011 to 22 Sep 2021? My current leave expires on 21 Sep 2021. Thanks!

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:47 pm

You can apply within 28 days of completing your 10 years. So it does not matter
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

eclairyang
Newly Registered
Taiwan

Post by eclairyang » Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:23 pm

Zimba wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:47 pm
Thank you!

eclairyang
Newly Registered
Taiwan

Post by eclairyang » Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:38 pm

Zimba wrote:
If in any case, my ilr based on long residence is refused, can I still apply for the Tier 2 dependent extension? Even after it is expired?

Thanks!

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:49 pm

eclairyang wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:38 pm
Zimba wrote:
If in any case, my ilr based on long residence is refused, can I still apply for the Tier 2 dependent extension? Even after it is expired?

Thanks!
Yes assuming you apply within 14 days of refusal

eclairyang
Newly Registered
Taiwan

Post by eclairyang » Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:07 pm

Zimba wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:49 pm
eclairyang wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:38 pm
Zimba wrote:

Thanks!
Yes assuming you apply within 14 days of refusal
Thank you again for your very helpful advice!

eclairyang
Newly Registered
Taiwan

National identity card?

Post by eclairyang » Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:18 pm

Dear all,

I'm in the middle of filling out the form for ILR via long residence.
One of the questions on the form was:
Do you have a valid national identity card?
(This includes identity cards, issued from non-UK governments. This does not include driving licences. If you have an internal passport, provide the details here.)

I do have a national identity card but it's in my home country. I don't have it with me in the UK.
In this case, do I say yes or no? Is it necessary that I ask someone to send it over to the UK to me?

Thank you.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: National identity card?

Post by CR001 » Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:49 pm

eclairyang wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:18 pm
Dear all,

I'm in the middle of filling out the form for ILR via long residence.
One of the questions on the form was:
Do you have a valid national identity card?
(This includes identity cards, issued from non-UK governments. This does not include driving licences. If you have an internal passport, provide the details here.)

I do have a national identity card but it's in my home country. I don't have it with me in the UK.
In this case, do I say yes or no? Is it necessary that I ask someone to send it over to the UK to me?

Thank you.
This question is not important and you can answer no.

Please also do not start a new topic with each question you have. Topics merged!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

eclairyang
Newly Registered
Taiwan

Length of time living in the UK?

Post by eclairyang » Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:16 pm

Dear all,

I was an undergraduate and then a masters student on two student visas between 2005 - 2010. I went back to my home country in Jan 2011 when my student visa expired. And then came back to the UK again as a short-term visitor (not on a visa, permitted only for 6 months) between Feb 2011 - July 2011. In Sep 2011, I came back to the UK on a new student visa for my PhD. After that, I switched to Doctorate Extension Visa, and then Tier 2 dependent visa, which I currently hold.
I am applying for the ILR (long residence) based on my time in the UK between Sep 2011 - Sep 2021.

I'm not sure how to answer some questions about the start date and the length my time living in the UK on the form.

1. I was asked " How long have you lived in the UK?"
Should I include the years before Sep 2011 (from 2005)? Or should I count from Sep 2011?

2. The question that followed was "When did you first enter the UK? This is the date you entered the UK when the period of stay you are basing this application on started." Given the instruction, I understand that for this question I need to put Sep 2011. Does this mean that for this application, I should base my answers on this date?

3. "Since you started living in the UK have you spent time outside the UK?"
Yes. And I was prompted to provide details about my travels.
Should I provide details of my travels before Sep 2011? If I include them, I will exceed the 540 days limit.

Thank you in advance.

zimba
Mood:

Re: Length of time living in the UK?

Post by zimba » Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:03 pm

1. It does not matter what you answer
2. Sep 2011
3. ONLY the 10 year period you are relying on

eclairyang
Newly Registered
Taiwan

Post by eclairyang » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:03 pm

I'm filling out the SET (LR) application form now. In the documents section, I was asked to provide
1. Evidence you have to prove the relationship with Mr. My Husband (for example marriage certificates), and correspondence addressed either to you jointly, or in both of your names, or addressed individually to you at the same address, to cover the last two years.
And
2. Proof of Ms My Name's relationship status as the married or civil partner of Mr My Husband.

Do 1. and 2. refer to the same documents?

Also, in the end, there was a set of declaration forms to print out and sign. Part 1 was Consent for the Home Office to verify application information, part 2 was Consent for the Home Office to verify third party information, and part 3 was Consent for the Home Office to verify information from third party sponsor.
My understanding is that I should sign part 1, and part 2 is for my husband. Is that correct?
I am financially dependent on my husband (I don't have a job and he does), so does that mean he should sign part 3 as well?

Thank you very much!

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:01 pm

NO relationship evidence is required. SET(LR) has nothing to do with your partner. Just sign part one of the consent form

eclairyang
Newly Registered
Taiwan

Post by eclairyang » Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:18 pm

Zimba wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:01 pm
NO relationship evidence is required. SET(LR) has nothing to do with your partner. Just sign part one of the consent form
My 10 year residence is based on 6 years of student visa and 4 years of Tier 2 Dependent visa. Even so, I still don't need to provide them with cohabitation/relationship evidence? Or any evidence of financial support?

Thanks!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:24 pm

Even so, I still don't need to provide them with cohabitation/relationship evidence? Or any evidence of financial support?
No!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.