ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse Visa Application

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

sjohn95
Newly Registered

Name change not updated in passport

Post by sjohn95 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:15 pm

Hello,

I changed my surname a few years ago using a deed poll but have not updated my passport to reflect the change yet. The change in surname was not due to my marriage. Previously my surname consisted of 2 words, one of which is now my middle name. This has not caused me any problems during travel as I use the name in my passport to make bookings.

When making spouse visa application for my husband, should we fill out my name as in the passport or put in my current surname supported by a deed poll? All the supporting documents that I will be putting in will have my surname as my current one but they don't state exactly what my surname is, i.e. it simply states my name: x y z and not as given name: x, middle name: y, surname: z

I would be grateful for any guidance. Thank you!

Theunknownusername
Wales

Re: Name change not updated in passport

Post by Theunknownusername » Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:49 pm

The way I understand the visa process, you want to give the Home Office the least opportunity to dwell on your husband's application. If you have legally changed your name using a deed poll then you should probably update your passport to reflect your current name as your passport is your proof of British Citizenship. If they begin to question your identity, this could significantly delay the application or worse, lead to a 'not straightforward application due to the HO requiring to take out extra checks on the application.

Personally, I would not use my 'old name' that is still on the passport and risk it as the HO may or may not already have access to your deed poll and could easily brand you as trying to deceive them if you don't give them the full story.

However, in theory, you can use your current name on the application, use your old passport and then you can attach a cover letter to the application that explains your situation in full (including why you didn't update the name on your passport which I am assuming is because you had a long expiry date) and anything else that can prove that you are in fact the same person as on the passport. If you are happy to do this then go for it.

This is only my personal opinion, I am not a lawyer but I have done a lot of research for my own wife's application.

Theunknownusername
Wales

Post by Theunknownusername » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:30 pm

sjohn95 wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:15 pm
Hello,

I changed my surname a few years ago using a deed poll but have not updated my passport to reflect the change yet. The change in surname was not due to my marriage. Previously my surname consisted of 2 words, one of which is now my middle name. This has not caused me any problems during travel as I use the name in my passport to make bookings.

When making spouse visa application for my husband, should we fill out my name as in the passport or put in my current surname supported by a deed poll? All the supporting documents that I will be putting in will have my surname as my current one but they don't state exactly what my surname is, i.e. it simply states my name: x y z and not as given name: x, middle name: y, surname: z

I would be grateful for any guidance. Thank you!
Provide us with an update when you have one kindly!

sjohn95
Newly Registered

Post by sjohn95 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:47 am

Hi,

Thanks for the information that you kindly shared.

I hadn't realised that I got a response on this thread so I consulted with a lawyer who basically said the same thing as you. Her advise was that it would be better to get my passport updated but if I am using my existing passport, to include reasoning in cover letter and back that up with supporting documents. Therefore, to avoid the hassle, I applied for a fast-tracked passport with the change in details. I am expecting to get it delivered next week.

Thanks again!

sjohn95
Newly Registered

Spouse Visa Application from UAE

Post by sjohn95 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:56 am

Hi,

My partner and I are intending to make a spouse visa application from UAE (Dubai). Up until recently, they had the Settlement Priority Visa Service available for purchase from the VFS website. This option has now disappeared and there is an announcement on their website to say that all priority services are suspended for applications from UAE.

From previous experience or otherwise, does anyone know how long this is likely to be suspended for? If I apply now, it would be 12 weeks of waiting for me. Is it worth it for me to wait another month before I make the application in the hopes that the priority service will be reinstated by then?

Is it possible to do the application through another country (where my partner has residence rights) that still has the priority option available?

Also, is it possible to use a mix of 2 VFS offices to make the application, i.e. make the application where priority services are available but use the office in Dubai for the part of the application that my partner needs to go in person for?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Re: Spouse Visa Application from UAE

Post by AmazonianX » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:48 pm

sjohn95 wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:56 am
Hi,

My partner and I are intending to make a spouse visa application from UAE (Dubai). Up until recently, they had the Settlement Priority Visa Service available for purchase from the VFS website. This option has now disappeared and there is an announcement on their website to say that all priority services are suspended for applications from UAE.

From previous experience or otherwise, does anyone know how long this is likely to be suspended for? If I apply now, it would be 12 weeks of waiting for me. Is it worth it for me to wait another month before I make the application in the hopes that the priority service will be reinstated by then? I doubt If anyone can tell you how long the suspension will be for and or when it will be reinstated. That's for HO and or VFS partners to decide which I don't think we are privy to.

Is it possible to do the application through another country (where my partner has residence rights) that still has the priority option available? Yes if your partner is the applicant.

Also, is it possible to use a mix of 2 VFS offices to make the application, i.e. make the application where priority services are available but use the office in Dubai for the part of the application that my partner needs to go in person for? Imagine the confusion and bureaucratic bottlenecks this brings....that's even if it is possible.

sjohn95
Newly Registered

Post by sjohn95 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:00 pm

AmazonianX wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:48 pm
sjohn95 wrote:
Hi,

From previous experience or otherwise, does anyone know how long this is likely to be suspended for? If I apply now, it would be 12 weeks of waiting for me. Is it worth it for me to wait another month before I make the application in the hopes that the priority service will be reinstated by then? I doubt If anyone can tell you how long the suspension will be for and or when it will be reinstated. That's for HO and or VFS partners to decide which I don't think we are privy to.

Is it possible to do the application through another country (where my partner has residence rights) that still has the priority option available? Yes if your partner is the applicant.

Also, is it possible to use a mix of 2 VFS offices to make the application, i.e. make the application where priority services are available but use the office in Dubai for the part of the application that my partner needs to go in person for? Imagine the confusion and bureaucratic bottlenecks this brings....that's even if it is possible.

Many thanks for your response. Just got a follow-on question- once a standard application has been made, can it be changed for it to be priority if that service becomes available at a later date?

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:14 pm

sjohn95 wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:00 pm
AmazonianX wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:48 pm
sjohn95 wrote:
Hi,

Many thanks for your response. Just got a follow-on question- once a standard application has been made, can it be changed for it to be priority if that service becomes available at a later date?
No, once you have selected a type, it does not get changed.
Except you cancel the whole thing and restart the process when you know priority is available and what assurance of this does one have as it goes fast.

sjohn95
Newly Registered

Post by sjohn95 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:59 pm

Makes sense, thank you for your response!

sjohn95
Newly Registered

Bank Statement for Spouse Visa

Post by sjohn95 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:45 pm

Hello,

I understand that, as financial evidence, the sponsor/applicant is required to provide 6 months' bank statement if they have been employed by the same company for the past 6 months.

Does the bank statement need to be an official one issued by the bank with their letterhead or can it be an online statement saved as a pdf? I tried to contact the bank and they have advised that it will take them at least 12 working days to get it to me and that it would cost £3 per statement.

Any guidance on this would be welcome.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Re: Bank Statement for Spouse Visa

Post by AmazonianX » Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:50 am

sjohn95 wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:45 pm
Hello,

I understand that, as financial evidence, the sponsor/applicant is required to provide 6 months' bank statement if they have been employed by the same company for the past 6 months.

Does the bank statement need to be an official one issued by the bank with their letterhead or can it be an online statement saved as a pdf? I tried to contact the bank and they have advised that it will take them at least 12 working days to get it to me and that it would cost £3 per statement.

Any guidance on this would be welcome.
Online or electronic copies of bank statements resembling what the postal statements is are acceptable.
This question treated on the forum many times and applicants have positive outcomes.

sjohn95
Newly Registered

Re: Bank Statement for Spouse Visa

Post by sjohn95 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:46 am

Many thanks for your response!

sjohn95
Newly Registered

Environmental Health Report- Spouse Visa

Post by sjohn95 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:18 pm

Hello,

I have a question in relation to a spouse visa application that we are looking to make. I am intending to use my parents' property to meet the accommodation requirements, and I have read and seen on multiple vlogs online that people have included Environmental Health Report as part of the application. Does anyone know if this is the same report as Property Inspection Report or this a different report that is required?

For reference, the company I have contacted for the property inspection are doing an online assessment for me. They have asked me to provide details and pictures of rooms.

Many thanks in advance for any guidance.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Re: Environmental Health Report- Spouse Visa

Post by AmazonianX » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:46 pm

sjohn95 wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:18 pm
Hello,

I have a question in relation to a spouse visa application that we are looking to make. I am intending to use my parents' property to meet the accommodation requirements, and I have read and seen on multiple vlogs online that people have included Environmental Health Report as part of the application. Does anyone know if this is the same report as Property Inspection Report or this a different report that is required?

For reference, the company I have contacted for the property inspection are doing an online assessment for me. They have asked me to provide details and pictures of rooms.

There is no requirement for any environmental health report. They vlogs are probably making up what they want. Careful what you read and or what ideas you pick up lest you throw your money down the drain.

TODMATT
Diamond Member

Post by TODMATT » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:55 am

sjohn95 wrote:
Hello,

You don’t need one.
My opinions should not be constituted as an immigration or legal advice.

sjohn95
Newly Registered

Post by sjohn95 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:59 am

Thanks both for that guidance! :)

sjohn95
Newly Registered

Sponsor's Passport for Spouse Visa Application

Post by sjohn95 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:48 pm

Hello,

I recently updated details in my passport and have received a new passport with which I have not made any international travel yet. I have received my new passport but have not received my old one back which is supposed to be returned to me alongside my other supporting documents.

My husband and I are preparing to make a spouse visa and wanted to ask whether scans of the entire passport is required for the sponsor as well? I understand this is required for the applicant to show immigration history but is this required for the sponsor too?

I have fully scanned my current passport but I am wondering if full scan of my old passport is also required?

Many thanks for any guidance.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Sponsor's Passport for Spouse Visa Application

Post by CR001 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:54 pm

All topics merged. Please keep all your questions in one topic,this one.

Sponosr passport you only need to scan the biometric page, not the whole passport!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

sjohn95
Newly Registered

Spouse Visa Application - Declaration Form

Post by sjohn95 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:51 pm

Hello,

I have come across posts on this forum where people are talking about submitting declaration form alongside their spouse visa application.

We are doing a first time spouse visa application (not an extension) and wondered if we are required to submit this as well? If so, could you please advise on where this can be found? I have tried looking and have not come across the form.

Many thanks in advance
Last edited by sjohn95 on Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sjohn95
Newly Registered

Post by sjohn95 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:54 pm

TODMATT wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:55 am
sjohn95 wrote:
Hello,

You don’t need one.
Thanks for the response! :)

sjohn95
Newly Registered

Post by sjohn95 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:54 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:54 pm
All topics merged. Please keep all your questions in one topic,this one.

Sponosr passport you only need to scan the biometric page, not the whole passport!
Noted and thanks! :)

sjohn95
Newly Registered

Spouse Visa Application

Post by sjohn95 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:34 am

Hello,

I have a couple of questions.

We have made a spouse visa application and in the VFS confirmation email it says "Please bring a printed copy of the email attachment together with your booking details and means of payment when you visit the Visa Application Centre'.

What is the means of payment that they are referring to? I (sponsor) made the payment on behalf of my husband (applicant) and we are both in different countries so he can't take in my bank card. Is it asking for something else?

Also, in the document checklist, it asks for 'copy of bio data page of the passport or travel document for xxx from British citizen' and 'one proof of British citizenship for xxx (such as passport or UK citizenship certificate)'. Are they both the same thing, i.e. copy of my ID page or is it asking my husband to take in my passport? Also, for reference, by birth I was of a different nationality and got British citizenship around 8 years ago.

Thanks for any guidance.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:24 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:54 pm
All topics merged. Please keep all your questions in one topic,this one
???
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.