ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport received but documents missing after 3 weeks

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

uklondonn
Spain

Passport received but documents missing after 3 weeks

Post by uklondonn » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:51 pm

Hi,

I've received my first British passport more than 3 weeks ago, but I've not heard anything about the supporting documents.

Is this normal? Whenever they send the documents, will I see the update on the Application history?

Thanks!

dexmo

Re: Passport received but documents missing after 3 weeks

Post by dexmo » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:19 am

uklondonn wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:51 pm
Hi,

I've received my first British passport more than 3 weeks ago, but I've not heard anything about the supporting documents.

Is this normal? Whenever they send the documents, will I see the update on the Application history?

Thanks!
According to HMPO there is currently a 'slight' delay to returning supporting documents, can take up to 4 weeks. If you've paid for them to be returned by secure delivery they'll appear on the TNT tracker once they've been passed on to TNT.

chssvi

Post by chssvi » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:28 pm

In a similar situation and just saw this piece of news https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59409509

Does anyone know if it would be possible to call HMPO and get them to send the documents by Royal Mail for those of us who selected "secure delivery"?

dexmo

Post by dexmo » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:50 pm

chssvi wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:28 pm
In a similar situation and just saw this piece of news https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59409509

Does anyone know if it would be possible to call HMPO and get them to send the documents by Royal Mail for those of us who selected "secure delivery"?
Worth a try but I doubt it. Am in the same boat as you, sent two enquiries to HMPO over the last week and have spoken to them as well - they can't even tell you where your supporting documents are. It seems once your passport has been printed and sent returning your supporting docs must run its usual course (whatever the usual process is, passing them on to a different HMPO department then on to the courier I presume etc).

chssvi

Post by chssvi » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:24 pm

Hmmm. Yes, we called earlier in the week and they said that it was taking up to three weeks. Quite something if it turns out that the return of the documents could end up being the slowest part of the whole process! Also makes you wonder what would happen if you needed the documents urgently during the application for compassionate reasons.

*sigh* will just keep checking the TNT site and hoping...

dexmo

Post by dexmo » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:07 pm

chssvi wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:24 pm
Hmmm. Yes, we called earlier in the week and they said that it was taking up to three weeks. Quite something if it turns out that the return of the documents could end up being the slowest part of the whole process! Also makes you wonder what would happen if you needed the documents urgently during the application for compassionate reasons.

*sigh* will just keep checking the TNT site and hoping...
HMPO seem to be quite efficient when it comes to processing passport applications - most of the applications are processed quickly, you get updates at every stage of your application etc. Returning supporting documents is a different story - some people have reported waiting for 2 months! I know passports can't be sent out together with your supporting documents as they aren't (normally) personalised in the same place where your application is examined and you send your supporting documents to, but I can't understand why it takes them so long to return the docs once applications are dealt with (from which point they do not need your documents any longer).

chssvi

Post by chssvi » Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:23 pm

OK. So it now shows up in the TNT tracking page and has a target date for delivery this week but no "scans". Fingers crossed that there are not too many delays as we need one of those documents very urgently.

*sigh*, everything was so much easier when I applied four years ago. Did it through my council (citizenship and passport), no need to send any documents and then got my passport a couple of days after the ceremony without me doing anything. Sometimes things go backwards...

chssvi

Post by chssvi » Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:09 pm

Thought I would share here in case someone is suffering with this issue as well and jumps straight into this topic.

The delivery of the documents was a disgrace. Called HMPO about two weeks after the passport approval but they just said that it is taking up to three weeks to return documents and that I should keep checking the TNT website. They first showed up on the TNT system on the 27/11/21 with a delivery date of 1/12/2021. They then showed up as received at the delivery station on the 30/11/21. Then the system said that they weren't going to be delivered on the 1st but on the 2nd. Then on the 2nd got the message that they were out for delivery but nobody ever came and the system showed up as delivery date on the 4th. Called first thing on the 3rd where they told me that it was a mistake and that I should definitely receive them that day (3rd). Waited and nobody came. Called at the end of the day (about an hour on hold) and was told that the delivery date was not the 4th but the 6th. I asked to be allowed to collect at the delivery station but said that was not possible. Insisted that I urgently needed to travel and they said that they would e-mail the depot manager to prioritise delivery and that if I didn't see the out for delivery I should call back on the 6th and see what else could be done. And then, as I waited for the bell to ring, I decided to check the tracking system where it showed that it had been delivered but giving me a picture of the entrance of the building next door - nice. Was already having a heart attack thinking that they had delivered it to an unknown neighbour but, thankfully it was in the letterbox.

Nickotout
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Nickotout » Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:59 pm

I believe in this case the best course of action is to contact HMPO via Twitter. HMPO seems to have a different department for social media complaints and this seems to make things much faster.

For my application, I have added a Royal Mail tracked envelope and a letter stating why I need the docs returned to me at priority and that I have enclosed a tracked envelope for them to return the documents in. Will keep you updated if this is successful.

chssvi

Post by chssvi » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:19 pm

Nickotout wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:59 pm
I believe in this case the best course of action is to contact HMPO via Twitter. HMPO seems to have a different department for social media complaints and this seems to make things much faster.

For my application, I have added a Royal Mail tracked envelope and a letter stating why I need the docs returned to me at priority and that I have enclosed a tracked envelope for them to return the documents in. Will keep you updated if this is successful.
Interesting! Will be good to see if that works so do keep people posted.

I really struggle to understand in what universe does it take three weeks to stick some documents in an envelope and put them in the mail bag. It's not even like they send them back with a bespoke letter addressed to the applicant. I could definitely see the person handling the documents spending approximately one minute doing that.

And then the whole disaster with TNT is really surreal. They have clearly shown that they don't have the necessary capability to do this so HMPO should at least give people the opportunity to just use Royal mail tracked or something like that.

Also, there has to be a different way. Given how stressful the past month has been with all the uncertainty about those documents, we would have gladly paid £50 or whatever it was to go somewhere to certify the scans of the documents and, much like the citizenship application, avoid having to send any originals.

dantorrez
Newly Registered
Brazil

Post by dantorrez » Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:24 pm

chssvi wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:23 pm
OK. So it now shows up in the TNT tracking page and has a target date for delivery this week but no "scans". Fingers crossed that there are not too many delays as we need one of those documents very urgently.

*sigh*, everything was so much easier when I applied four years ago. Did it through my council (citizenship and passport), no need to send any documents and then got my passport a couple of days after the ceremony without me doing anything. Sometimes things go backwards...
Hi. How are you tracking it in the TNT system? What tracking number are you using and how did you get it?

dantorrez
Newly Registered
Brazil

Post by dantorrez » Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:24 pm

chssvi wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:23 pm

Hi. How are you tracking it in the TNT system? What tracking number are you using and how did you get it?

craw19
Newly Registered
Wales

Post by craw19 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:13 pm

I believe you just use your original Passport PEX number to track the documents with TNT once you have received your passport.

8 days and counting for my wife. Whilst she's relieved to have received her British Passport, her French and naturalisation certificate are still nowhere to be seen....

c4551m
Pakistan

Post by c4551m » Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:06 am

Hi, I applied my child's passport on 8th Oct, got new passport on 1st Nov, it took them 5 weeks to send my documents back, I rang and emailed them several time no luck, just standard reply there is a delay, I paid for secure delivery. Asked my local mp to chase it up. They sent back thru royal mail guaranteed 9am delivery.
So I would say get local mp involved, need to push them. Otherwise they are in same boat as home office case workers lazy A**
Flro applied 23.02.14
Varied application to SET LR 3.3.14
Biometrics done 24.3.14
Approval 24.7.14
Docs received 28.7,14