ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK visitor visa for parent and their passport validity

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Maxim88
Kazakhstan

UK visitor visa for parent and their passport validity

Post by Maxim88 » Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:15 pm

Dear gurus,

I am applying for my mother to come visit me in the UK (I gained BC and BP last month through 5 year Tier 2 and then ILR). She has been in the UK twice before, in 2017 (stayed 6 weeks) and in 2019 (stayed 14 weeks). Both times we applied for a 6 months visa and it was granted. This third time we really want to apply for a 2 year visitor visa. However, by the time we make the application/submit the biometrics and they consider her case, it is likely her passport will have less than 2 years validity (it expires 20 April 2024). Can we still apply for a 2 year visitor visa or is it best to apply for a 6 months instead? Is there a requirement for the passport to be valid for the whole duration of the visa?

There is the following statement on gov.uk that confuses me "You must have a passport or travel document that is valid for the whole of your stay in the UK. There must be a blank page in your passport for your Standard Visitor visa." Obviously, her passport would be valid for the period of her stay, as she won't stay more than 4-5 months in one go. Does this statement also mean validity should be same as the period of visa (in which case we can't/shouldn't apply for the 2 year visa)?

many thanks for the advice.

oace

Re: UK visitor visa for parent and their passport validity

Post by oace » Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:52 pm

If you have BC, should it not be Family Visitor Visa that you need to apply rather than General Visitor?

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:48 am

It’s combined with a standard visitor visa now. Passports should be valid for at least six months or duration of each visit.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Maxim88
Kazakhstan

Post by Maxim88 » Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:49 pm

Thank you so much vinny!

Two other quick questions:

1) I will write a cover letter to say I am acting as her sponsor and covering all her expenses, which I think will be used by my mother as an invitation. Does this letter need to be signed by me (signature) and sent originally? Can I scan and send it to her electronically along with all my other documents (payslips, bank statements, etc)? Am i overthinking this?

2) She has retired last year so in terms of her income she receives a modest pension (she has an official letter to confirm this, if needed), but relies largely on income from a property (owned by my dad) which is rented out; my dad is the main provider in the family (but he is not applying). My mother doesn't have bank savings etc. and the rental income she receives is cash. Should this all be mentioned - that she receives pension and also rental income from property owned by dad? If so, does she need to include proof of receiving the rental income and some money from my dad (which is not really possible as this is all done in cash)? I am covering all her expenses so there won't be any problems with finance for her, just want to make sure the section on income and expenditure is completed appropriately so that there is no issue. Please advice.

many thanks.

AGM23

Post by AGM23 » Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:19 pm

You can print and sign the covering letter, scan and send, same with all other documents, originals are not necessary.

You would need a covering letter from your dad as well explaining that he is the main income earner, giving documentary evidence, i.e. property ownership, rental agreement, his bank statements etc.

Its all good that you are covering all expenses, meeting financial requirement is only one part, however onus is on your mother to show strong ties to her home country and that she has strong reasons to return upon completing her visit, the fact that your dad is not applying nor traveling with her should be good reason as well for her to return, as well as showing other documents on her name, pension letters, bank statements, etc.

Hope this helps

Maxim88
Kazakhstan

Post by Maxim88 » Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:43 pm

Thank you so much! Gurus, please help me out here:

I have found the following in the immigration rules Appendix V:

"V 4.2. ...the main applicant
(e) must have sufficient funds to cover all reasonable costs in relation to their visit without working or accessing public funds, including the cost of the return or onward journey, any costs relating to their dependants, and the cost of planned activities such as private medical treatment. The applicant must show that any funds they rely upon are held in a financial institution permitted under FIN 2.1 in Appendix Finance.
V 4.3. In assessing whether an applicant has sufficient funds under V 4.2.(e), the applicant’s travel, maintenance and accommodation may be provided by a third party only if that third party:
(a) has a genuine professional or personal relationship with the applicant; and
(b) is not, or will not be, in breach of immigration laws at the time of the decision or the applicant’s entry to the UK as a Visitor; and
(c) can and will provide support to the applicant for the intended duration of the applicant’s stay as a Visitor."

Does above from the rules basically mean that my mother doesn't really need to show she has sufficient funds to cover reasonable costs if I, as her son, am covering all her costs and will be sending my bank statements+payslips, etc?

It is just that she has access to funds, she has a small pension income, gets money from my dad, has savings, and also rental income (property owned by my dad), but they are all in cash (in my home country people don't trust banks so most people keep savings in cash at home). The only official document of income she has is a pension letter but nothing to "prove" other income or savings, as this is all paid/kept in cash. So this is a bit of a dilemma for me. She owns a flat and has document to show, but nothing else official to show regular income. My dad can write a cover letter but again he too can't show a bank statement to show his funds etc. Ideally, i don't want to involve dad here and try to seek more documents and complicate this even further. What is the best way forward here? If my mom can't provide proof (as in bank documents) of rental income, savings in cash and money from my father, should we not mentioned these in the application? And if we don't, will her pension statement (which is a small amount) be enough? I wish this was just simple, because I am covering everything anyway... (sorry for asking a question in such a long way - please read question (2) from my previous post for context). I would really appreciate your advice on this.

Maxim88
Kazakhstan

Post by Maxim88 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:48 pm

Dear friends,

I have submitted the application for my mother to visit me and my family in the UK (standard visitor visa). She is providing a bank statement showing savings, a letter confirming she is retired and receives a pension, and also document confirming ownership of a property in her country. What else/how else should she demonstrate evidence of her family circumstances, as well as economic and social ties to her country of residence? Her checklist does not mention any document to be included by her family members who are staying in her country of residence. Her husband (my dad) and her daughter and grandchild (my sister and niece) are staying in her home country, not travelling to the UK. Should this be mentioned? If so how? Should any documents from them be also included?

many thanks

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:01 am

Maxim88 wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:48 pm
Dear friends,

I have submitted the application for my mother to visit me and my family in the UK (standard visitor visa). She is providing a bank statement showing savings, a letter confirming she is retired and receives a pension, and also document confirming ownership of a property in her country. What else/how else should she demonstrate evidence of her family circumstances, as well as economic and social ties to her country of residence? Her checklist does not mention any document to be included by her family members who are staying in her country of residence. Her husband (my dad) and her daughter and grandchild (my sister and niece) are staying in her home country, not travelling to the UK. Should this be mentioned? If so how? Should any documents from them be also included?

many thanks
The family ties to home countries should be shown by mentioning the people stated by you in her cover letter, Dad can make out a letter he is not going with her. Documents like BC can be used.