ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

under 18 children's requirement for citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ranuby
Newly Registered

under 18 children's requirement for citizenship

Post by ranuby » Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:57 pm

hi, myself and partner completed our citizenship and got British passports earlier this year. we have kid of 15 years and did not included application along with us. BRP card of kid has ILR status and is schooling in UK with us. we are thinking to get this sorted and have following questions.
- we dont have marriage certificate, will that be required. if yes, assuming we would need to register this from our home country?
- Kid is having ILR status of BRP card, which form/application needs to be done
- are there any specific documents which are required to be submitted along with application.

appreciate your help

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Re: under 18 children's requirement for citizenship

Post by Ticktack » Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:09 am

ranuby wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:57 pm
hi, myself and partner completed our citizenship and got British passports earlier this year. we have kid of 15 years and did not included application along with us. BRP card of kid has ILR status and is schooling in UK with us. we are thinking to get this sorted and have following questions.
- we dont have marriage certificate, will that be required. if yes, assuming we would need to register this from our home country? Not required, birth certificate covers all that. NOT everyone with kids are married.
- Kid is having ILR status of BRP card, which form/application needs to be done Form MN
- are there any specific documents which are required to be submitted along with application. The form would tell you the checklist.

appreciate your help
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:16 pm

To the OP: Your child can register as a British citizen on Form MN1. Read the guidance on what documentation is required. You would not need a marriage certificate.
Ticktack wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:09 am
Not required, birth certificate covers all that. NOT everyone with kids are married.
That is not always correct.

For the purpose of British nationality, if one is claiming British citizenship by descent from a British citizen father, the "father" is legally defined as the husband of the person who gave birth to the child. So if the mother is non-British, but married to a British citizen, the child will need a marriage certificate predating their birth to prove their British citizenship.

If the parents are unmarried and the child is claiming British citizenship by descent from a British citizen father, a DNA test is now required.

This does not cover the query of the OP, as his child is not claiming citizenship by descent anyway, but more for your knowledge, as you respond to many queries on these forums and I would want your responses to be accurate. :)
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Post by Ticktack » Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:01 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:16 pm
To the OP: Your child can register as a British citizen on Form MN1. Read the guidance on what documentation is required. You would not need a marriage certificate.
Ticktack wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:09 am
Not required, birth certificate covers all that. NOT everyone with kids are married.
That is not always correct.

For the purpose of British nationality, if one is claiming British citizenship by descent from a British citizen father, the "father" is legally defined as the husband of the person who gave birth to the child. So if the mother is non-British, but married to a British citizen, the child will need a marriage certificate predating their birth to prove their British citizenship.

If the parents are unmarried and the child is claiming British citizenship by descent from a British citizen father, a DNA test is now required.

This does not cover the query of the OP, as his child is not claiming citizenship by descent anyway, but more for your knowledge, as you respond to many queries on these forums and I would want your responses to be accurate. :)
Agreed, but in this case, both parents are already British citizens. But not married (guessing). So I assume that the OP's child would have gotten this far (ILR) with a birth certificate.
Maybe for lack of funds might be the reason why the child wasn't added with his/her parents BC application.

Evidence to be supplied
To guard against the possibility of fraud, we would expect to see the evidence of
identity over and above that required to establish an entitlement to registration. You
must not accept a birth certificate as evidence of identity. A birth certificate is
evidence of an event not the individual’s identity.
We should take into account any evidence already on the file. If documents have
been seen and noted in the past there is no need to ask to see them again. If the
parents’ marriage or a parent and child relationship has been accepted as valid by
an entry clearance officer, immigration officer, Home Office official or any tribunal or
court in the UK, there is no need to ask for further evidence unless there is a reason
to doubt the previous decision.
For example, in some situations a subsisting
relationship is accepted for immigration purposes but for nationality purposes a valid
marriage is needed.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

ranuby
Newly Registered

Post by ranuby » Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:21 pm

thanks both for clarifications.
we are married and reason for not adding child at that time was funds + we got the impression that marriage certificate is necessary. so thought of first to get one thing out of way.
this is very helpful

one clarification on form, do you mean form AN as I am not able to find MN, although there is MN1 but that is for https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... n-form-mn1
"To be used by people in the Channel Islands, Isle of Man and British overseas
territories, and by people who live elsewhere and want to apply by post. "

I would be applying in london.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:25 pm

Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.