ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Refugee getting their own home passport any issues (?)

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

OneTrickPony

Refugee getting their own home passport any issues (?)

Post by OneTrickPony » Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:58 pm

Hi, I am a Refugee with ILR in the UK and I want to go on holiday. I have UK Travel Document. The problem for me is that the country that I wanna travel to (the Philippines) does not allow refugees to enter without visa. And the process is lengthy. However citizens of my birth country (passport holders) allowed to stay in Philippines visa free up to 30 days. When I applied for the UK Travel Document I sent my home passports and they did not return my home passports. Pretty sure my home passport expired anyway though since I have lived in the UK for long. So my question is if I go to my home country's embassy in London and apply for a new passport then I am guessing I can go to the Philippines visa free. However will the Home Office find out about this and will I be in trouble? Obviously I have no intention of travelling back to my home country but I really want to go on holiday soon without having to wait many months for Philippines visa that doesn't seem to favour refugee holiday makers at all.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Refugee getting their own home passport any issues (?)

Post by CR001 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:11 pm

You risk having your ILR revoked if you apply for a home country passport and it will bring into question whether your refugee claim was genuine or not.

Up to you what you decide is more important, visa free travel or risking your UK status by applying for a home country passport when you had claimed to be a refugee. I would suggest you find another destination or simply apply for a visa.

https://freemovement.org.uk/what-is-the ... rotection/
This is an understandable position to take with refugees: the Immigration Rules at paragraph 339A(i) say explicitly that a refugee who voluntarily re-avails themselves of the protection of their country of origin can face revocation of refugee status. The same rule does not exist for humanitarian protection — yet the Home Office appears to apply that same standard when it comes to settlement applications.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.