ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Changing employers while on a Tier 2

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

scruffykeith
Newly Registered
Canada

Changing employers while on a Tier 2

Post by scruffykeith » Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:36 am

Hi all,

I'm currently employed as a T2 skilled worker and may now have an opportunity to work with a different company who can also offer me a T2 visa

There is very little info online about switching employers. Does anyone know anything in regards to the following concerns?

1) do I need to physically or electronically cancel my current visa? If so what happens with my BRP?

2) is there any refund for the IHS surcharge of you have a three year visa but cancel this early? Do I need to pay this all again?

3) does my current employer need to do anything such as notify the government or cancel their CoS allocation? If there are no plans to hire other skilled workers should my current employer cancel their visa license or just let it expire?

4) is this process basically treated as a whole new application with no ties to my previous tier 2 visa or BRP? Do I just proceed in applying for everything again and mail in my current BRP once the new one arrives?

There's so little info on this it's hard to understand what to say to my employer when I do leave. Any support, or advice based on similar experience would be immensely appreciated

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Changing employers while on a Tier 2

Post by CR001 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:43 am

1) do I need to physically or electronically cancel my current visa? If so what happens with my BRP?
No. Your current visa will automatically be cancelled if a new visa is granted to you. Your BRP becomes invalid once you get a new BRP/visa. There is nothing you have to do to cancel it.
2) is there any refund for the IHS surcharge of you have a three year visa but cancel this early? Do I need to pay this all again?
You have to pay IHS again when you apply for a new visa. You might get a refund of the overlapping period if more than 6 months equivalent.
3) does my current employer need to do anything such as notify the government or cancel their CoS allocation? If there are no plans to hire other skilled workers should my current employer cancel their visa license or just let it expire?
They have to inform UKVI within 10 days after you last date of employment that they are no longer sponsoring you. They do this through the SMS system.
4) is this process basically treated as a whole new application with no ties to my previous tier 2 visa or BRP? Do I just proceed in applying for everything again and mail in my current BRP once the new one arrives?
Correct on both questions.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

scruffykeith
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by scruffykeith » Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:48 am

Thank you so much for the swift and detailed response. Do you know if a potential refund for overlapping periods - referencing the IHS charge- would be automatically processed or if this is something I would need to request to the Gov directly?

I've only worked one year of a three year T2 visa so it would be of immense financial benefit to have the fees returned for my new application. Any idea who I would need to contact if required?

Really appreciate your support!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:56 am

Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.