ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Sending BRP for driving license

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

vic_msn
Australia

Sending BRP for driving license

Post by vic_msn » Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:17 pm

I have applied for a provisional driving license and have received a form which I should return along with a valid identity document like BRP card.
There is an option to generate a share code from UKVI and fill this in the form but the share code only
works if I had previously used the UKVI ID Check app to prove my identity for a previous visa application.
All my appearances have been at UKVAS for biometrics.
Can I now download the app and try and register a new account using the app to generate the code?
If not, I'll have to send the original BRP card to DVLA which I am reluctant to do so.
One reason for me asking instead of trying to generate the code in the phone is that I don't have a phone with NFC reader for me to test if this is even possible to generate.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Re: Sending BRP for driving license

Post by contorted_svy » Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:35 pm

You generally need to receive an invitation to use the IDV app, it's not something you can choose to do yourself. If your phone doesn't have an NFC reader you probably wouldn't be able to read the information in your passport chip anyway.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:00 am

vic_msn wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:17 pm
I have applied for a provisional driving license and have received a form which I should return along with a valid identity document like BRP card.
There is an option to generate a share code from UKVI and fill this in the form but the share code only
works if I had previously used the UKVI ID Check app to prove my identity for a previous visa application.
Can I now download the app and try and register a new account using the app to generate the code?
If not, I'll have to send the original BRP card to DVLA which I am reluctant to do so.
One reason for me asking instead of trying to generate the code in the phone is that I don't have a phone with NFC reader for me to test if this is even possible to generate.
It appears with your above explanation no way out besides sending BRP or passport to DVLA.
This remains one of the areas the agencies needs to look at alternatives means of getting this done without sending off such important documents in the post.

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Post by Ticktack » Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:38 am

AmazonianX wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:00 am
vic_msn wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:17 pm
It appears with your above explanation no way out besides sending BRP or passport to DVLA.
This remains one of the areas the agencies needs to look at alternatives means of getting this done without sending off such important documents in the post.
Passport alone doesn't cut it, as it doesn't evidence right to leave and work in the UK, except it has a vignette on it.
Or it's Irish! :lol:
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:37 am

An EU passport should be enough on its own if one has pre-settled or settled status, or at least I should hope so as I was never given the possibility to apply for a BRC or BRP...
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:43 am

contorted_svy wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:37 am
An EU passport should be enough on its own if one has pre-settled or settled status, or at least I should hope so as I was never given the possibility to apply for a BRC or BRP...
This has nothing to do with the OPs question. Please do not confuse things. OP is an Indian citizen holding a Skilled Worker visa, so clearly not an EU passport holder.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

vic_msn
Australia

Post by vic_msn » Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:24 pm

Thanks all, I just wished there was a way I could generate a code online to check if I am the owner of the BRP, similar to the right to work check where I share a code with the employer.
DVLA could even grab the photo from the BRP database, they have all my information but still insist on sending my only official UK ID by post to them.
Anyway looks like there is no alternative for now.
Thanks

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Post by Ticktack » Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:59 am

vic_msn wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:24 pm
Thanks all, I just wished there was a way I could generate a code online to check if I am the owner of the BRP, similar to the right to work check where I share a code with the employer.
DVLA could even grab the photo from the BRP database, they have all my information but still insist on sending my only official UK ID by post to them.
Thanks
People have been sending passports to DVLA for many years.
It's part of the sacrifice you make to obtain a drivers license. Not sure why you're getting so paranoid about it.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

Happymummy
Mood:
Kenya

Post by Happymummy » Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:13 pm

Ticktack wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:59 am
vic_msn wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:24 pm
Thanks
People have been sending passports to DVLA for many years.
It's part of the sacrifice you make to obtain a drivers license. Not sure why you're getting so paranoid about it.
You just have to send your brp to them.Best time to send is Monday via recorded delivery.So that you can get it by following week.