ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying British citizenship + passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ManishC123
Newly Registered
India

Applying British citizenship + passport

Post by ManishC123 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:45 am

Situation:
  • I am an Indian national with settled status in the UK, I will complete 1 year of stay in the UK after receiving ILR in April 2023.
  • I am applying British citizenship for my child, who was born in the UK before I got ILR. Now with my settled status, I wish to apply for the child British citizenship and later British passport.
  • In parallel, I have applied for ILR for my wife and 1st child who was not born in the UK. Their ILR will arrive towards September 2023.
My query is as follows:
I wish to apply for naturalization and eventually British passport along with my family once they complete their 1 year of stay with ILR in the UK (to avoid hassle of doing things twice).

I am aware that currently my UK born child can apply for British citizenship and later British passport. I wanted to just apply for the British citizenship for this child and wait to apply for British passport until my other family members complete their settled stay in the UK.

If I do this, does it allows my UK born child to travel outside UK until British passport is applied?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Applying British citizenship + passport

Post by CR001 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:58 am

Once your uk born child is registered as British, they lose their Indian citizenship. You should apply for a British passport sooner rather than later once child is approved for citizenship.

There is no benefit to waiting for you family to apply for citizenship next year each applicant must meet the requirements individually.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ManishC123
Newly Registered
India

Post by ManishC123 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:28 am

Thanks for your reply

I have another question regarding the 1st child born outside UK.

I have recently learnt that if I apply for my own British citizenship via naturalization, I can also add my first child (born outside UK) on the application because the child has lived in the UK for more than 5 years as my dependent. Is this correct understanding? Kindly guide.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:42 am

ManishC123 wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:28 am
Thanks for your reply

I have another question regarding the 1st child born outside UK.

I have recently learnt that if I apply for my own British citizenship via naturalization, I can also add my first child (born outside UK) on the application because the child has lived in the UK for more than 5 years as my dependent. Is this correct understanding? Kindly guide.
Yes, if the child holds ILR and the other parent also holds ILR
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ManishC123
Newly Registered
India

Post by ManishC123 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:25 pm

But in my case, the child does not have ILR.
So does it means, applying ILR is mandatory for the child. Right?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:26 pm

ManishC123 wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:25 pm
But in my case, the child does not have ILR.
So does it means, applying ILR is mandatory for the child. Right?
Yes, for a child born abroad.
Char (CR001 not Casa)