ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tax Credit confusion////NHS TaxCredit Exemption Certificate

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

prettypolitical

Tax Credit confusion////NHS TaxCredit Exemption Certificate

Post by prettypolitical » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:57 pm

Hi Guys,

My husband is here on a spouse visa.....although he is not entitled to tax credits....he has recieved this card....i understand why he is not entitled to the credit aspect of the claim but why is he entitled to Free prescriptions....eye tests....dental treatment etc....anyone have any idea or answers please.
???REUNITED???

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:50 pm

Prettypolitical, i don't think you are right, in assuming your spouse is not entitled to Tax Credit, you can make a joint claim as you are a British Citizen and this will not have any bearing on his ILR application.

Except of course, for personal reason, you choose not to claim tax credit.

In regards to Free Prescription drugs and free eyesight checks, provided he meets the conditions set for getting those free services, he is fine in obtaining them.

They are not considered as public funds, and he will not loose his right to ILR by virtue of his claiming of those facilities.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

prettypolitical

Post by prettypolitical » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:31 am

Thanks Obie,

I was a little confused thats all as they said he would not be allowed to claim Tax credits although he is jointly on the claim, but then the card came so i thought it was strange.

Thanks for your reply its much appreciated!!! :o :)
???REUNITED???

murphy
Newly Registered

woohoo!

Post by murphy » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:57 pm

wow this is just the answer I was looking for!

my wife is a polish national excersizing her treaty rights for some time now, I'm a recent admittance.

She was getting CTC and WTC before and when I came we had to apply jointly (took ages). We got these cards in the mail saying we were exempt from paying for prescriptions etc. To be honest I'm so scared of getting public funds I still paid for prescriptions but when my wife found out she was quite angry... as my money is her money :P

Well I asked around and no one seemed to really know. The GP and pharmacy people told me it was fine so I felt ok... but I kept asking every time I got a prescription filled and the other day the lady said I had better be sure as it's a 150 pound fine.

Obie, you said:
In regards to Free Prescription drugs and free eyesight checks, provided he meets the conditions set for getting those free services, he is fine in obtaining them.

Do you know what the conditions are, so I can be sure I qualify? I am due in the dentist on thursday... and if I'm allowed to skip the 45 pound fee my children will have a happier christmas :)

regards

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:28 am

Sorry Prettypolitical for hijacking your thread.

The card your received in the post is called an NHS tax credit Exemption Certificate. With this, your are exempted from NHS dental , Eye test and prescription fee.

Hope this answers your question.

Being in receipt of this, will have no bearing on your Residency application.

Your wife is also allowed to add you to her tax credit claims, even if you have yet to apply for resident card.

Once your partner commence receipt of working tax credit, you will receive this Certificate, which you can show as proof of you entitlement to these benefits.
Last edited by Obie on Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

prettypolitical

Post by prettypolitical » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:20 pm

Obie,

Thanks for that, and problem re the high jacking :lol:

It is very confusing though....as you don't want to take it for granted and end up in a mess when applying for ILR... :D
???REUNITED???